PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen faucet connections under the sink - avoiding the adventure?

Stephen Tashiro
11-10-2011, 8:13 PM
Do people ever put short lengths of pipe or waterline on the underside of kitchen faucets before installing them so that the connections to waterlines are more accessible?

Sometimes removing the garbage disposal, lying on one's back and reaching up to the connections on the bottom of faucets with a basin wrench is interesting work. Sometimes it is not.

Jerome Stanek
11-11-2011, 7:47 AM
I install the supply lines before I install the fauect

Jeff Monson
11-11-2011, 9:00 AM

Yep, that be a time honored tip!!

Stephen Tashiro
11-11-2011, 11:21 AM

But that leaves the problem of operations that require you to disconnect and reconnect them. Specifically, I need to replace the "spray hose guide" for the sprayer.

ray hampton
11-11-2011, 1:43 PM
are you talking about connecting the lines while your sink are out ? hooking up the water hoses to the sink are easy while the sink are out, hooking the hot/cold water hoses to the faucet while the faucet are out will be the best way, check the connections before the faucet are install by turning the water on[did you connect the hoses to the water supply ?

Stephen Tashiro
11-11-2011, 2:21 PM
My idea (of connecting short lengths of pipe or line to the kitchen sink hardware water connections) has to do with making maintenance operations on the kitchen sink hardware go easier after the hardware (and the sink) has been installed and been in use for some time.

At the moment, I need to disconnect the sprayer hose on hardware and a sink that is already installed.

ray hampton
11-11-2011, 8:49 PM
If you can stand up tall under your sink, then tighten the water hoses connections would be easy, the nuts that hold the faucet to the sink are the first things that I remove until the faucet unit can be pull away from the sink, I do the sprayer unit the same way only remove what is needed before I pull the sprayer unit up so the water hose can be tighter enough, the point of pulling the sprayer and faucet up is to tighter all of the hoses that needed to be tight

Stephen Tashiro
11-12-2011, 1:39 PM
the nuts that hold the faucet to the sink are the first things that I remove

In my case it is easier to do the water connections (which I can do with a basin wrench) than tighten those plastic nuts. I can't reach them with my hand or a wrench. (They aren't nut-shaped nuts, they are like a plastic imitation of a wing nut.) I can eventually get a basin wrench around them and tighten them, but that mangles them a little.)

Now if there is a special tool for getting to those type of nuts in tight places .... well, that would be a different story. Another tool to buy! That might compensate for having to take the dishes out of the sink.

ray hampton
11-12-2011, 3:00 PM
since the un nut are form from plastic , do not tighten too tight, I would tighted them hand-tight IF my hand would fit, a piece of tubing [metal or pvc-rubber ] can be notch to fit around the un-nut to hand-tight

Stephen Tashiro
11-19-2011, 4:05 PM
since the un nut are form from plastic , do not tighten too tight, I would tighted them hand-tight IF my hand would fit, a piece of tubing [metal or pvc-rubber ] can be notch to fit around the un-nut to hand-tight

Armed with your suggestion, I notched a piece of PVC pipe and scooted myself under the sink. Alas, the plastic nuts the Moen "Caldwell" kitchen sink go around the same threaded pipe nipple that the water lines attach to. So the PVC pipe can't fit over the nuts.

ray hampton
11-19-2011, 8:10 PM
a bigger pipe is called for, good luck

Jay Jolliffe
11-20-2011, 7:04 AM
Slot the pvc pipe so water feeds fit into it. Make some slots in the top that will fit the wing nut. I did see a wrench some place to do that but that was a while ago when I was installing my sink. I saw it after I was already done.

i