PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Finial re-do

Ed Morgano
11-10-2011, 8:02 PM
Ok,
Today I decided to try another finial. This is what i came up with. The old one is on the left and the new one on the right. Which do you like best? Or did I waste my time? C&C needed. Thanks,

John Keeton
11-10-2011, 8:20 PM
Ed, first of all, it is never a waste of time to make another finial!! The practice is always worth the effort. My personal preference is for the new one as I think it flows better, is a little more restrained given the form, and the mass is in the lower portion. I also like the additional lift of the lid.

Roger Chandler
11-10-2011, 8:26 PM
Ed,

Nice rework...........if it had been mine to re-do, I would have had a bulb [onion] coming off the lid, slendering to the tip with a little flare back up to a flame style tip. I do agree with John that the one you did does compliment the lid a little better and gives the overall flow of the piece a bit more adherence to the fair curve all the way up.

Donny Lawson
11-10-2011, 9:31 PM
Ed, that's a nice piece either way but I like the new finial better.

Jon McElwain
11-10-2011, 9:39 PM
Yes, I like the second. The bottom of it mimics the base of the lid, and the top is more delicate. The first one draws my eye to the top and I sort of miss the rest of the form. Nice rework, and good effort!

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2011, 9:50 PM
I agree the second finial works best. I like the flow of it over the other one.

Ed Morgano
11-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's a real help to have this support from all of you.

Dennis Ford
11-11-2011, 7:26 AM
I like the second finial better also, I liked the piece as a whole before but it is even better with the new finial.

Thom Sturgill
11-11-2011, 8:48 AM
I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here. I would like the first one better if you made a slight change and removed the very top and simply pointed it. I would also suggest a third finial shape where you mimic the shape of the HF and lid and extent the cove at the top into a spire like the second finial.