PDA

View Full Version : Bowl and bangless

Paul Williams
11-10-2011, 6:57 PM
A little surgery has put me on light duty for awhile, but bangles are well within the weight restriction and fun to turn. The bowl and several of the bracelets were turned before the surgery, but turning bangles and a few pens has been a nice diversion for the last few days.

The silver bangless and some of the black bangles are oak. After ebonizing the oak with steel wool and vinegar I wanted to add a little color. I think irridencent white paint put on thick and then sanded back to just fill the pores left an interesting effect.

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2011, 7:00 PM
The bowl is really nice. I love the bangles. Glad you are back in the shop.

charlie knighton
11-10-2011, 7:12 PM
very nice bowl, from what i can see, the bangles are great

i like your treatment of the oak, hope you get back to full strength

Donny Lawson
11-10-2011, 9:41 PM
The bangles look great. What's the finish?

Jon McElwain
11-10-2011, 9:45 PM
Don't let my wife see those! I've got enough projects as it is!! :D

Looking good!

Jim Burr
11-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Sweet bangels Paul!! What finish are you using?

John W Dixon
11-11-2011, 12:00 AM
The bangles are great. I love the look of the ebonized with the white. I made several of these for my wife a year or so ago and she has been on me to do some more. Maybe it's time I get back after a few of them.

Kathy Marshall
11-11-2011, 12:20 AM
That's a nice bunch of bangles Paul and the bowl looks great too!

Paul Williams
11-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. Small turnings have been a great diversion. Perhaps following Kathy's box tutorial will be next. Most of the bangles were finished with WOP, which is my go to finish. The silver colored Oak was thinned acrylic irridecent white paint followed by minwax clear acrylic.

I found a neat material for these. They go out the door too fast so I will have to make another for a photo. I had turned one for my wife out of maple burl that came out real nice. Then my youngest daughter got some flooring samples for her new condo floor. The bamboo flooring turned out to look very much like the maple burl. I made several but they are too popular with friends and daughters so I don't hve one to photograph right now.

Baxter Smith
11-11-2011, 8:57 PM
Very nice Paul! I keep thinking I need to do this!