PDA

View Full Version : Vocation or avocation?

Harry Thornton
03-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Do most of you guys do this for fun or money or both? Clearly some of you have 10's of thousands of dollars in your work shop. I would assume that most of you premium shop guys at least supplement your incomes with your shop work.

I hope to be able to retire someday and do this type of work all day if I please...or at least when my back hurts too much to play golf!

Jim Becker
03-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Avocation, only...for mental health. ;)

David Wilson
03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Harry
I do it for both but haven't sold mutch. I do have a decent job (electronics tech) which helps me buy tools and supplys. Looking forward to retirement so I can spend more time in the shop. I know too many retired people who have drinking as there only hoby and I don't want to be stuck in that rut.

Alan Turner
03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Once my home, and those of the family, were filled with furniture, I had to turn pro to keep going.
Alan

Harry Thornton
03-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Harry
I do it for both but haven't sold mutch. I do have a decent job (electronics tech) which helps me buy tools and supplys. Looking forward to retirement so I can spend more time in the shop. I know too many retired people who have drinking as there only hoby and I don't want to be stuck in that rut.
I hear ya David. That is one of the reasons that I am interested in woodworking. I don't want to fall into the chronic alchohol syndrome either. Plus, being shallow and prideful, I want to leave something behind to remind succeeding generations that I existed.

Bill Lewis
03-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Vacation!

All my tools are free after using them for home remodeling. Sweat equity has paid for them many times over. WWing is still cheaper than fishing, can you imagine how much per pound those fish cost after spending $30k on a boat.
:p

John Gregory
03-04-2005, 1:07 PM
My wife and do woodworking as a hobby. Of course once we retire in 10-15 years it would be nice if we could supplement our income. But right now it is a hobby. And it is a hobby we both love and enjoy. It is nice to share that with one's spouse.

We build things for friends and family. Charging only material, supplies and little for overhead (sharpening, wear and tear, etc.) I often remark that it is nice to have a hobby that others pay for your project supplies.;)

John and Kris

Robert Wimmer
03-04-2005, 1:29 PM
After reading your responses I would guess most woodworkers are of a single mind (as in Star Trek). During my working life I had regreted the lack to time to spend at WW, what with raising a family and a busy career. Now that I've been retired for nine years I still don't have enough time. I don't do jobs for pay either. Had some offers but I fear that would take the joy out of WW for me. Just a personal preference. I do enjoy doing stuff for family and friends and their thanks are enough.

JayStPeter
03-04-2005, 1:33 PM
It's a hobby for me. There's one thing I tell visitors to my shop who mention how much money I must have tied up in it. Even with all the tools I have, there's less money in my shop than a Harley or bass boat. If I keep up my pace, that might not be true in a few more years :cool:

Jay

John Gregory
03-04-2005, 1:43 PM
You are right Jay. Lots of people spend way more on their hobbies, boating, watercraft, snow mobiles. But the shop is a year-round hobby than does not depreciate like boats etc.

Mike Vermeil
03-04-2005, 1:47 PM
but now it's both, and now I can justify more equipment! I'm actually a remodeling contractor. The money aspect itself hasn't taken the enjoyment out of it for me as many people worry, but trying to compete with more production oriented shops has somewhat. Much of my work out here in Phoenix is built-in/semi built-in cabinetry for new houses (big business out here). I enjoy the work itself, but am finding it close to impossible to compete with the one or two larger production/retail facilities. They can crank out the work at a pace at least double or tripple of what I can, and can therefore charge lower prices. Right now I'm quoting lower than what I should in order to get business, but most likely I'm going to have to stop doing cabinetry because unless it's for family or friends, it ain't worth working for free!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-04-2005, 2:45 PM
For me it is a hobby. I have done a small amount of paid jobs, but those were mainly for friends or relatives and I did not charge what I should/could have. I really do enjoy this as a hobby, so if I can make a great peice for a friend or relative, at a decent price for them, it makes me very happy.

I too enjoy the thought that something I built as a young man (23) might be around as a heirloom in my grandchildren's homes? Who knows, a guy can dream! :)

Dave Anderson NH
03-04-2005, 5:10 PM
I do woodworking and toolmaking as both a hobby (productive stress reliever) and a part time business. The business end pays for my tool and woodworking habit and provides a few extra bucks besides. I don not however have tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools. I suspect that if everything I've accumulated over the past 30 years were all added up it would total less than $10,000. Auctions, flea markets, yard sales, and inherited tools have all helped to keep the cost down. The future is bleak however:D , as I'm beginning to upgrade some of my hobbiest stuff to industrial grade to meet production requirements. Kidding of course, butthe industrial stuff does add considerable cost. If you're considering part time business activity though you can start off with regular hobbiest grade stuff and upgrade as time and money allows. Remember, you don't need every doodad right away.

Richard Wolf
03-04-2005, 5:28 PM
Both. I am in the business of installing wooden railings on interior staircases in houses. I do some custom work, and sometimes build curved staircases, but most of my work entails standard stair parts installed in new construction. My business affords me to have a large shop that is well equiped that I can use for my personal work. Sometimes my business does get in the way of my hobby time, but we all must sacrafice!

Richard

Michael Ballent
03-04-2005, 5:38 PM
but now it's both, and now I can justify more equipment! I'm actually a remodeling contractor. The money aspect itself hasn't taken the enjoyment out of it for me as many people worry, but trying to compete with more production oriented shops has somewhat. Much of my work out here in Phoenix is built-in/semi built-in cabinetry for new houses (big business out here). I enjoy the work itself, but am finding it close to impossible to compete with the one or two larger production/retail facilities. They can crank out the work at a pace at least double or tripple of what I can, and can therefore charge lower prices. Right now I'm quoting lower than what I should in order to get business, but most likely I'm going to have to stop doing cabinetry because unless it's for family or friends, it ain't worth working for free!
Go to North Scottsdale and Paradise Valley and offer high end kitchen remodeling... Plenty of dollars up in that neck of the woods... eerrrr.... saguaros ;) I have heard that the current trend is that people are starting to view their kitchens more as an extension of their homes and look at the cabinets more like furniture rather than just cabinets... Something to think about.

Mike Vermeil
03-04-2005, 5:53 PM
Go to North Scottsdale and Paradise Valley and offer high end kitchen remodeling... Plenty of dollars up in that neck of the woods... eerrrr.... saguaros ;)

Michael,

I'm currently waffling on exactly what I want to do. I definitely need to separate myself from the crowd (Stonecreek, etc.), but I haven't decided the best way to do that. One avenue I'm considering as both a cabinet maker & remodeler is specializing in the modern - a style completely underserved by everyone except Ikea and Target - and a style I very much enjoy. Only one of the many things I'm currently pondering. Can you smell the smoke?

Mike

Earl Kelly
03-04-2005, 6:15 PM
Vocation, started out 35 yrs. ago delivering furniture trying to make some money. After doing furniture touchup and repair and cabinet making and refinishing, I decided to start building custom furniture. Working in a furniture store and doing repairs on new and damaged furniture gave me insight in what Not to do. Still today, lots of junk being sold with big names attached. Oh, the first paying furniture piece was a set of 6 dining chairs, learned a lot with that job.

Robby Phelps
03-04-2005, 8:10 PM
I started out acquiring all of my equipment because my boss no longer allowed employees to use the tools at the cabinet shop where I worked. I just love woodworking and needed the release from making repetitive kitchen cabinets (panel processing, it isn't even called woodworking anymore). That is at least how it began. I started to get a few people that requested pieces now and then and I thought that in a few years turn out to be a more lucrative operation but I had no idea how fast it would happen. A lot of the credit goes to my brother who approached me with a chance to design a website for next to nothing. That is when it really took off. I quit my full time cabinet job a year later and have never looked back. I do sometimes wish I had it like the old days and could make things for the loml but I really love what I do and the clients that I have had have become some of the best friends I have ever had. So I guess no regrets and I look forward to the future and all of the fun and interesting pieces I will have the opportunity to make.

John Edwards
03-04-2005, 8:42 PM
What started out as a means to reduce stress turned into a passion.

A passion that would hopefully would help to fuel retirement in my later years.

An accident (motor vehicle) changed all that. Now I am disabled and retired.
WWing now it is a means to try and equalize myself with the rest of the craftsman that are out there.

I do what I can, when I can. Slowly learning to accept that fact.

47 years old and fighting.

Randy Moore
03-04-2005, 8:54 PM
Mark Singer, Terry Hatfield, Scott Coffelt, Dennis Peacock, Jim Becker and the whole darn bunch of you could run circles around me without even trying as far as wood working is concerned. I can put Heat, Ventilation and Air Conditioning in buildings but could start to come close to the quality of woodworking everyone here puts out.

My Dad died about 2 years ago, He left me with his shop and bass boat. However my sister screwed me out of his drill press and lathe. Everything is Craftsman, so not the best in the wold. I am just starting to learn about woodworking. I am retiring in about 5 years, I hope, I will 56, and need something to do with my hands when I can't go fishing. I am a sheet metal worker now, HVAC. So I need to stay busy or I KNOW retirement will kill me.
Now if I could figure out how to make air go through this oak and walnut I would know what I am doing.

Randy

Randy

Bob Stegemann
03-04-2005, 8:56 PM
Avocation only; I'm retired and work in the shop as the "Spirit" moves me. That's often as I enjoy it. I'm afraid as slow as I go we'd starve if it was necessary to make a living at woodworking. I think that I've made enough furniture for the house and family that the tools are close to being paid. I keep working at the tool buying to keep it close.;)

Michael Ballent
03-04-2005, 9:20 PM
Michael,

I'm currently waffling on exactly what I want to do. I definitely need to separate myself from the crowd (Stonecreek, etc.), but I haven't decided the best way to do that. One avenue I'm considering as both a cabinet maker & remodeler is specializing in the modern - a style completely underserved by everyone except Ikea and Target - and a style I very much enjoy. Only one of the many things I'm currently pondering. Can you smell the smoke?

Mike
Is that what I was smelling ;) and here I thought that someone was doing a little BBQ, Mark Singer has done some amazing work and specializes on modern looking furniture when his pesky architectural job does not get into his way ;) The main issue that I found in the Phoenix area is that a lot people do not want to pay for what it takes to make quality pieces. Also there is so much influence from the rustic styles out here, that it could be tough to sell modern looking cabinets. Do you know any interior decorators? If you are able to get in touch with them, they could start throwing jobs your way. Advertising in Phoenix magazine could also get you some more exposure and there are magazines that are geared solely to the high end neighborhoods. I know that it's tough out there and my hat goes off to the full timers out there.

lou sansone
03-04-2005, 9:58 PM
avocation at this time

Ken Salisbury
03-05-2005, 6:25 AM
I know too many retired people who have drinking as there only hoby and I don't want to be stuck in that rut.

SOME OF US HAVE 2 HOBBIES -- Both of mine are 56½ yrs old

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif

Mark Singer
03-05-2005, 8:59 AM
I just do it for fun....and it is ! THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS THE OCASSIONALal, architectural wood model....as required for a client or to better understand a design. I have been contacted to make a few pieces, but it has been several years now....

Bill Arnold
03-05-2005, 9:44 AM
Must an avocation for me -- ain't made no money at it yet. :confused:

Seriously, most of my time has been spent building furniture for our home. LOML has no shortage of ideas to keep me busy building things. Over the past few years, we've upgraded my tools to the point there's little I can't do in my garage shop.

I've been approached by a lot of people wanting me to do a project for next to nothing because they are friends or neighbors -- that's not happening! I'd gladly take a commission for someone who understands the value of custom work.

In the past few months, I've met some folks who like what I do and are helping get me some exposure. I'm not looking for a lot of 'business', just an opportunity to build and sell some items I will enjoy doing.

The recent Florida State Fair Fine Furniture Exhibit brought a lot of attention and great comments on my work. The Fair exhibit is not a selling venue, though. Most of the work has been done by craftspeople for their own homes. My success there has led to an interview by the top reporter for the local newspaper which is slated to be the lead article in Tuesday's paper.

I've joined a local WW club whose members run the gamut from beginning hobbiest to professional cabinetmakers. The president of the club was present for the newspaper interview. He wants me to get heavily involved with the club and help instruct some of the others -- what am I getting myself into here???

Anyway, I plan to do what I enjoy doing with this 'hobby' and if it leads elsewhere, then so be it. I ain't proud -- I'll take the money! :D

Regards,