PDA

View Full Version : Festool CT 33 Dust collector stopped working

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-10-2011, 2:23 AM
I purchased a CT 33 Dust collector last year and it will no longer start. I noticed the last couple times I started it it would stall then start. It was though some sort of switch or contact was loose.

Anyone have any ideas?

FYI I purchased a Fien and the festool at the same time. The Fien is still running strong.

Rick Fisher
11-10-2011, 3:09 AM
Probably the switch .. I have a Fien vac which I use with my Festool stuff and its been a good machine.

Steven Lee, NC
11-10-2011, 4:12 AM
http://www.festoolusa.com/support/warranty.html

it's still under warranty, i'd give them a call

Craig Michael
11-10-2011, 8:31 AM
If it's under warranty, I'd go that route. Before that though, I'd check the hepa filters and put in a new bag. I think there was something similar or at least an issue someone had and it was clogged filters. There are various things built into many festools to protect the motor, etc.

Jamie Buxton
11-10-2011, 9:58 AM
Does it have the same behavior when you start it manually (with the switch on the front), and when you start it with the tool-trigger facility?

Larry Fox
11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
+1 on the switch. I had the one on my CT22 go bad and they sell a replacement part. Installs in about 5 minutes.

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-10-2011, 3:54 PM
It has a 1 + 2 warranty. Currently I am in the +2 portion of the warranty. This means I have to pay UPS shipping. Thats going to be expensive and troublesome. Just not worth the effort.

Sooo... I took the machine apart.

It was one of the wire harneses that connect the main controller board to the motor. I found this by checking the voltages at the controller board and at the motor. I used some plyers to tighten the crimped connector. This fixed the problem for now.

If it fails again I will just wire my own cable.