PDA

View Full Version : Definitely a "Non Gloat" (long)

Norman Hitt
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi folks, it's good to be back, but unfortunately with some new "Tools". Seems like some things followed me home yesterday from the Hospital, like puncturing, testing, and injecting tools, fueling plan, (dieting), etc, and that's what prompts this post.

I know we all complain at times about the Poor quality of our Tool instruction Manuals, but these recent additions have got the WW tool manuals beat hands down for complexity and lack of cross referencing and in many cases directly opposing or contradicting information. Between the hospital nursing staff's procedures, the Diabetic education center rep, the dietician edu staff, and the Dr's instructions, (all with their own printouts-but none complete), NO TWO agree on hardly anything. This has got this Puppy pulling at my ears & flippin' my lips, & after about 5 hours going through it all last night, the LOML's Red Headed temperament showed it's face, & she was NOT a happy camper. Guess she'll be burning someone's ears for a few days til she gets the rest of the information. It just seemed like the info would get started but then quit just when the needed info should appear, but no reference as to where to find the info referred to, and no accompanying documentation.

I was just curious if any of you that may have this unfortunate malady, have had the same problems getting started on the program, or not.

This development was a Complete surprise to both my Dr, & myself, as I had just been tested 3 months ago & everything fine, so we thought my problems were with some medication being used to recover from a month long session with the "Crud" that's been around, but on a Dr's ckup discovered the problem & it was so severe, they wheeled me from the Dr's office across the street & into the Hospital where B/S cked 840, (considered Life threatening). Further testing showed that the problem started approximately 1 week after the initial test and had been rageing (above 400) since that time. They were shocked that I was still walking & had not had either a stroke or heart attack, so I was VERY LUCKY. Soooooo..... as a word of caution, do pay attention to the Diabetes signs especially when you are sick with other things, and Definitely if you have ANYONE in your family that has ever had diabetes. Only 1 person on either side of my family had ever had it before me.

Anyhow, it's great to be back, and am feeling much better than a week ago, soooooo.......gotta get this new "Instruction Manual" figured out & working, so I can get back to the "Tools" I Really Enjoy Using.

Cheers..........Norm

I

Greg Tatum
03-05-2005, 1:34 AM
Hey Norm....sorry to hear of your health problems but glad you are bouncing back...tho I don't have DM myself, I help my residents manage theirs daily and if I can help ya in any way just let me know....The initial process of getting it "under control" is often confusing . I doubt anyone gets it right without some trial and error the first couple of weeks. What is really important is to know the symptoms of both high and low blood sugar; that includes the whole family.

Are you diet controlled or do you require meds? If meds, is it insulin or tablets? Learning when the meds have their peak effect will help you with making the right dietary choices as well.

Anyway, glad you are feeling better.

Regards,
Greg

Norman Hitt
03-05-2005, 1:58 AM
Hey Norm....sorry to hear of your health problems but glad you are bouncing back...tho I don't have DM myself, I help my residents manage theirs daily and if I can help ya in any way just let me know....The initial process of getting it "under control" is often confusing . I doubt anyone gets it right without some trial and error the first couple of weeks. What is really important is to know the symptoms of both high and low blood sugar; that includes the whole family.

Are you diet controlled or do you require meds? If meds, is it insulin or tablets? Learning when the meds have their peak effect will help you with making the right dietary choices as well.

Anyway, glad you are feeling better.

Regards,
Greg

Greg, Thanks for the reply and words of encouragement, and I'm sure we'll get it sorted out soon. Unfortunately, it was so bad, it took the full week to get it stabilized in the Hosp. and they bypassed all the usual, ease into it, "simple solutions", and put me directly on the diet program plus the two Insulins, "N" and "R", and though not fully stabilized yet, it does seem to be working close to what the Dr. projected. I will certainly keep your offer for info in mind.

Karl Laustrup
03-05-2005, 6:04 AM
I know what you're going through. We were on 2 week vacation in upstate NY and LOML was acting strange. By the time we got home her condition was serious. Went to the hospital and she was checked in immediately. Blood sugar was near 600. She was in the hospital for almost a week. She was on insulin for several weeks, but now is on just meds to control the BS. Her BS now is very good and she has to be sure and eat or her BS will get too low. We both check our BS at least once per day.

Since then I have been diagnosed with diabetes [none in the family that my mom or I know about]. Mine is controlled by meds and diet and exercise, which I unfortunately have not been getting lately, with our stinking weather.

Anyway, I know what the confusion is that you are going through. We had the same thing. It basically boils down to eat sensibly, exercise, lose weight [this is our biggest hurdle] take your meds and keep track of your BS.

Jim Becker
03-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Norm, they are worse than the Mini Max manuals??? Wow!!!! :D :D :D

Seriously, I hope you get things under control quickly. Karl is right...getting into better shape is a good idea for all of us, but especially when there are other factors involved. (maybe someday I'll take my own advise...sheesh!)

Norman Hitt
03-05-2005, 5:55 PM
Since then I have been diagnosed with diabetes [none in the family that my mom or I know about]. Mine is controlled by meds and diet and exercise, which I unfortunately have not been getting lately, with our stinking weather.
BS.

I understand the No Exercise due to Stinking Weather. I kinda think my problem might have been started last June when I was basically Confined to my TV chair for 10 weeks and "NO Exercise" while waiting for Back Surgery, and I really never did get my strength back to be able to exercise adequately after the surgery, so I didn't notice the problem when it started and progressed for the next three months, then came the stress of the "Crud" and it's associated medicines and that just topped it off. I didn't even notice the weight loss at first, which also accelerated to a 16 lb loss in three weeks.

Good luck with your continued success on your program, and you're sure right about needing the Exercise.

Jim, I won't say they are worse than the MM manuals, but maybe just on an even Par with them. I guess you're just going to have to give Dr. SWMBO a "Real Good Listening To" about once a month to keep you Inspired on this subject. :D :D Besides all this, you'd better start getting in shape now so you will be able to keep up when you get your Other Off Forum" Project completed. :) :)