PDA

View Full Version : Cave painting?

David Reed
11-10-2011, 12:05 AM
This is how I embellished my recent BLM experimental "southwest" form. The form was inspired from works by Steve S and others on the Creek. The embellishment was inspired by an unknown French artist. Numerous paintings found in a complex of caves in the Dordogne region of southwestern France have attracted my interest for decades. They were pretty good artists and my rendition may not be up to their standards, but then I heard no complaints from their quarter. Not certain of the artists name, but his signature looks like this. 212540

The layout was originally planned very nearly as it is but was modified slightly after seeing some of Molly Winton's spectacular works.
The form is 9" diameter, 5.5" tall, about 1/8 thickness and 3/8 at the bottom and I burned the figures in my first attempt at pyrography. No finish yet. It looks a little 'empty' as it is and I am considering staining the horses a dark color and some additional burning. You can see light pencil marks - I am considering a serpentine burned line defining the spiral around the form or perhaps something more. What do you think it needs.212539212541

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2011, 12:28 AM
David I like it and the pyro for a first looks really good. Vase form is nice.

Michelle Rich
11-10-2011, 7:47 AM
the horse design seems a tad familiar!! :-) :-0 keep at it, I think it will turn out well. Good luck

charlie knighton
11-10-2011, 7:57 AM
David, very nice

may i suggest a book, you might try getting it at the library or amazon or half.com

Painters of the Caves by Patricia Lauber

its is on the elementary school level, and not very long, but such a wealth of info, lots of pictures

its a National Geographic Society series book

Tim Rinehart
11-10-2011, 9:39 AM
I like it as is. If you feel it's missing anything, perhaps an additional graphic/texture depicting a surface the horses are traveling on??

Betty Fox
11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Perhaps go a little beyond the horses since that's been done. Something associated with horses like grass, fences, or sheltie dogs. Or go beyond even that to flying harnesses, clouds that visualize a horse, or shadows of horse faces in water.
Not having done any pyro, I have no idea how hard any of this would be. You just set my mind wandering this morning. :)

Baxter Smith
11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Good for you on trying David. Have never tried and wouldn't know where to begin. My only thought would be some kind of added shading to perhaps add some depth. Good luck with it!

Sean Hughto
11-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Lots of artists have been inspired by paleolithic works for a long time tis true. Here's a nice clay vase from around 1929:

http://www.dreaminginclay.com/wia%20horses%20vase.jpg

David Reed
11-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks all for the commentary.

the horse design seems a tad familiar!! :-) :-0 keep at it, I think it will turn out well. Good luck
My original plan called for this layout but the horse figures were too complex. I just got carried away with Molly's fine work.

David, very nice
may i suggest a book, you might try getting it at the library or amazon or half.com
Painters of the Caves by Patricia Lauber
its is on the elementary school level, and not very long, but such a wealth of info, lots of pictures
its a National Geographic Society series book
thanks for the info - always looking for a good book - especially one on my level.

Lots of artists have been inspired by paleolithic works for a long time tis true. Here's a nice clay vase from around 1929:
Much much nicer than my feeble attempt

Good for you on trying David. Have never tried and wouldn't know where to begin. My only thought would be some kind of added shading to perhaps add some depth. Good luck with it!
Yes Baxter, that is what I'm looking for but trying to avoid any further infringement on Molly's design than I already did, although she has nothing to worry about from me.