PDA

View Full Version : put new blades in my Powermatic 15s.

keith micinski
11-09-2011, 11:23 PM
I bought it used last week and the blades that were in it were in tough shape and giving me real issues. Luckily it came with an extra set of new blades so I put them in. The process was pretty straight forward it was just a lot longer then I thought it would be. I like that you don't have to mess with setting the height of the blades because they have little tabs that set down in a slot to line them up. There are just a lot of screws and gib plates to contend with plus the spiral nature of the head makes it a little more fuss. I am not sure if I will keep this planer but I figure I may as well get it all tuned up for me or the next guy anyway. I raised the table rollers to the midway point which the manual said was .03 but now I am getting pretty good snipe so I am probably going to back those back down I guess.

Rick Fisher
11-10-2011, 3:07 AM
Congrats on the planer.. Think about upgrading the head down the road.. Reading your post about changing knives made me grateful to have a helical head..

Cary Falk
11-10-2011, 6:34 AM
I got snipe on my Grizzly 15" till I lowered the rollers to where they barely moved when a board moved across them. I waxed the table and don't have any problems with them out of the picture so to speak.

keith micinski
11-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I must admit when I was buying the planer and the owner said it had a spiral head I just assumed he ment the shelix head. I didn't find out till we ran some boards threw it what the head was exactly. I almost passed on the deal but I figured at 1400 I could probably sell it down the road for that and get the grizzly with the Byrd head which is kind of what I wanted in the first place. I am going to put the rollers back down to a couple thousandths above the table also because it definitely helps on the snipe when they are set that way.