PDA

View Full Version : Help with hollow form blank

Jake Helmboldt
11-09-2011, 10:48 PM
I have a crucial decision to make on a hollow form. I have a large root burl, I believe from a sweet gum (only stump remained so not totally sure). It will be as a memorial and fundraiser auction piece for my daughter's school, in memory of a teacher that just died suddenly from a massive stroke a couple weeks ago. The burl itself came from a large stump on the playground and there is some symbolism here with this large, stable root (something that Phil was to the school).

It is a large blank, about 9" high and would result in a pice about 16-17" in diameter. I could also do two medium hollow forms, or a large, shallow HF as well as a large platter. This would be my first completed HF, and by far the biggest. I've roughed several small and medium HFs so far, but nothing like this, so I'm trying to figure out how best to orient this and/or divide it. I'd appreicate any thoughts from those of you that excel with design and HF issues. I want to keep it relatively simple without a lot of adornment, finials, etc.

thanks, Jake

Steve Schlumpf
11-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Jake - just my opinion, but you really never know what the wood has to offer until you cut into it. If you are turning this as a memento for the school - are there any size restrictions? If it were to be shown in one of their display cases, your 16-17" diameter might be a bit large. You could always ask the school what they would like, HF and a platter, a bowl, etc.

Good luck with this! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2011, 11:21 PM
That is a nice big burl. I agree with Steve about asking what they would prefer. Wow that ought to be some nice turning.

Jake Helmboldt
11-10-2011, 3:28 PM
Size is a big question. However this will be sold at the school's fundraiser auction, so no telling who might end up with it. I am thinking the full diameter might be too big for most tastes however.

I just want to make this extra special and not botch it. Of course as you noted Steve, you never know what you will end up with until you start turning. I just want to make the right choice in terms of what blank(s) I start with.

That said, if it is sweet gum, I've always heard that it moves like crazy. Have any of you Creekers ever turned a HF from sweet gum burl? If so, does it move as bad as sweet gum lumber?

Mike Cruz
11-10-2011, 3:40 PM
Jake, another consideration would be to use a corer and get multiple bowls out of it. Maybe even one bowl (the outside/biggest core) and then the cored inside could be turned into a hollow form. That way, four things: You could sell two items; One could be sold and one could go to the school; You wouldn't have to hollow out quite something so large. And also, you wouldn't be burdoned with having only one piece and worrying about "messing up" the one piece you had. Just an option.

Wally Dickerman
11-10-2011, 4:18 PM
Whatever you decide to do, that is way too big for one hollowform that will be your first. I suggest that the burl be cut into two or more blanks. Why not make a couple of open bowls with one of them partially closed. That is, with a fairly large opening. I would always suggest that for a first ever HF. You really don't want to screw up this one of a kind piece of wood.

There is somewhat of an art to cutting up burls to ge the most out of them. Part of it is chance. You just don't know what's inside there. As far as telling you how to cut up a burl by looking at a picture...just can't be done. Hopefully you can get help from a local turner with some experience with burls.

David E Keller
11-10-2011, 4:22 PM
I've never turned sweet gum burl, so I can't help you there. I don't think I'd attempt a piece as large as you described if you've not hollowed anything that large. A large platter would likely be well received by the group, and I think it's a great way to display beautiful wood. The remainder of the burl could be divided up for smaller forms... That's how I'd attack it, but I don't suppose there are any 'right' answers.

Mike Cruz
11-10-2011, 5:27 PM
My answer was right, David...

Jake Helmboldt
11-10-2011, 6:51 PM
Mike, I think you might be right.

I have a McNaughton coring system but still am getting the hang of not making funnels. I've only had a chance to use it a few times so maybe I'll practice on some other blanks and shoot for a bowl, a platter and an HF from this burl.

Reed Gray
11-10-2011, 7:29 PM
I would be inclined to cut it into quarters, and get 4 natural edge bowls from it. The quarter sections should allow for a core or two each, so there would be more to sell, and in a price range that more people could afford. The off cuts would make for some nice little projects.

robo hippy

David E Keller
11-10-2011, 7:29 PM

I stand corrected!:D

Mike Cruz
11-10-2011, 7:45 PM
Sorry, David, I forgot to put a boat load of smileys after that. :o Glad you caught my tone.

Luke Townsley
11-10-2011, 7:46 PM
The idea of trying to make just one hollow form that takes up the whole thing out of that scares me. If you had done dozens like it, maybe that would be different. If it were a practice piece, it would be different.

Anyway, look at it this way. Just by stretching your skills that far, you are already taking a bit of a chance even if it wasn't wonky wood. But this one is a burl and a root burl to boot. There is any number of ways your project could be ruined or compromised depending on what you find.

Even if you only auction off one thing, at least give yourself a back-up plan. Just by cutting down the size and cutting it open, you should be able to get a lot better idea what you will find.

Otherwise if you really want to make a single large piece, spend a lot of time studying it, tapping on it, and cutting away waste to try get a handle on how it will work and what is inside. Also, you might bore into it or cut it in ways that will allow you to "save" something if your original plans go awry.

It is hard to tell much from the picture. It is at your house and really, you can probably judge better than any of us how it will work. I would second the idea that you get someone else to look at it if at all possible. Also, whatever you make, you may have to change your original intent after you get started depending on what you find.

Mike Cruz
11-10-2011, 7:53 PM
Jake, right or not, it is one possibility. The fact that you have a coring system already makes that possibility even more doable. Hey, a funnel wouldn't be the worst thing in the world anyway...can still make a hollow form out of that, can't you?

Steve bellinger
11-10-2011, 8:13 PM
Jake not sure if you seen the turners table i posted a while back, but the HF that is incorporated in to the table was Gum burl. It didn't seem to move any were near as bad as the lumber i've use over the years. i also have a piece i'm working on now that is in a bag drying that will be a tea pot. It has moved some but not any worse than most woods. Here's a pic of the gum burl HF that i'm talking about. yes i did dye it but i liked the effect, and so did the customer. ( ex-DIL)212606