PDA

View Full Version : A few little turnings for practice.

Derek Gilmer
11-09-2011, 10:47 PM
With the lathe up and going I dug around for some stuff to turn. I found a little 1x1 red oak and cut some 2x2 walnut out of a board I had laying around. The walnut had some checks and cracks but these are only experimental pieces.

First up was a little bat for my 8 month old to play with. Btw an 8 month old boy with a bat...more proof that I'm an idiot at heart. I'll be bruised for a week I'm afraid. The middle is a bit fat because the nub at the end between the live center and the bat broke so turning was done. Lesson 1 turn the narrow parts and deep cuts last.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yJ5VIGw5chU/TrtFZpoj7-I/AAAAAAAAHbM/ZO076VlzMQo/s800/IMG_1754.JPG

On to the walnut. I was going for a chess piece like shape and mainly playing around with learning tools and how they operated. Sadly the cracking was pretty bad on the back side. Pieces were starting to fly off so I stopped before I could fine tune the shape.
Lessons learned:
1. sharp tools = less tear out
2. big tops look silly on tiny bottoms
3. you can't sand away all the tool marks and remain sane when you leave deep marks
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ytQEEKXIJRk/TrtFZYbSlkI/AAAAAAAAHbI/wueW9RgTnAs/s800/IMG_1753.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jL0qtHH9u08/TrtFZLIYHTI/AAAAAAAAHbE/0ACjv25E_W0/s800/IMG_1752.JPG

Last for the night.

I really like this little one. The base and bulb should have been bigger to balance the first shelf but over all it appeals to my eye. I'll probably try and make something like it again. Still had some tear out and places I got sick of sanding but better than the previous one. I let the tools get dull and got more tear out but I was having too much fun making shavings to stop and sharpen. :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-r6CosQ8jyv4/TrtFYtVu0sI/AAAAAAAAHa8/d6TqeKfVL0U/s800/IMG_1750.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j6BnL0PXSew/TrtFY_Jyl9I/AAAAAAAAHbA/f2tTpUwbUsU/s800/IMG_1751.JPG

The main tools I used were a 1" gouge, 1/4" parting tool 1/4" gouge and 1/2" bench chisel (this this works great!).

Marty Eargle
11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Looking good so far. If you're having trouble with tool marks, I like to use a freshly sharpened gouge to do some shear scraping for cleaning up. Practice makes perfect...and more shavings, which is never a bad thing.

Steve Schlumpf
11-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Looks like you are off to a good start! Keep turning - it gets easier!

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2011, 11:19 PM
That is a great start and great lessons learned. Keep at it as it does get easier.

Scott Hackler
11-09-2011, 11:24 PM
My biggest advice, short of find a mentor and get some hands on teaching. If you can find you closest AAW chapter, JOIN THEIR CLUB!

Next, round a blank for spindle turning and practice the same cut over and over and over and over..... you get the picture. You will learn more from repeating the process and correcting as you refine, then trying to turn a completed project right now. After you practice a bunch of different cuts (beads, coves, angles, ect...), apply them to a project. Start with a simple candle holder. Remember to have a base wide enough to made it stable and a top, just wide enough for a votive candle to sit on. In between those two parts, spice it up!

Have fun and don't try to turn 10 notches about your current skill level, it will come with practice and time.

Derek Gilmer
11-10-2011, 8:53 AM
My biggest advice, short of find a mentor and get some hands on teaching. If you can find you closest AAW chapter, JOIN THEIR CLUB!

Next, round a blank for spindle turning and practice the same cut over and over and over and over..... you get the picture. You will learn more from repeating the process and correcting as you refine, then trying to turn a completed project right now. After you practice a bunch of different cuts (beads, coves, angles, ect...), apply them to a project. Start with a simple candle holder. Remember to have a base wide enough to made it stable and a top, just wide enough for a votive candle to sit on. In between those two parts, spice it up!

Have fun and don't try to turn 10 notches about your current skill level, it will come with practice and time.

I appreciate the good advice. I do have more mentoring time planned in the next few weeks. But lack the patience when there is a shiny new lathe sitting there. I'll try doing the same thing over and over tonight. I typically jump in over my head with something new. Then learn how to fix the mistakes.

John Keeton
11-10-2011, 9:20 AM
Derek, the first walnut piece you turned really has excellent curves to it. In fact, in that regard, it is much better than the second walnut turning. I think you are doing great! Scott has given you some good advice - practice coves and beads, then combine them with smooth transitions. Remember, whether it is spindle or bowls (and, the techniques are very different!) form is everything. The tool control will come in due time.

Betty Fox
11-10-2011, 10:49 AM
A good thing to do is to turn today and sand tomorrow. :) Bask in the glory of the beads and coves today and curse the consarned tiny spots the next day.
Betty