PDA

View Full Version : Another Dyed Ambrosia Maple piece from Donny Lawson's wood.

Ed Morgano
11-09-2011, 6:58 PM
I'm not sure about the proportions, but from a technical standpoint, fit, finish etc. this it the best piece I've done so far. C&C welcome.

Dennis Ford
11-09-2011, 7:07 PM
It looks good to me, the shape is unusual but but works well. I like the looks of the extra small foot, is it stable? I am not quite sold on the very top of the finial but like the rest of it very much.

Roger Chandler
11-09-2011, 7:12 PM
Ed,

that one has some WOW factor to it! Stunning finish and a most unusual form..............very unique finial also with the cup on top...................the finish has irradessance to it............not something found every day. I could see other colors with this type of finish as well.....very nice!

Would you care to reveal how you get that finish?

Jim Burr
11-09-2011, 7:28 PM
Bah Da Bing!!! Dye and finish are really cool!! Barabra Eden is in the bottle !!

David DeCristoforo
11-09-2011, 7:44 PM
I have to agree... this is the best piece you have posted to date. I would also agree with the two "critiques" that the base may be a bit small and the tip of the finial too large. But those are small "nits" and overall, this shows some real progress. The form, coloring and finish are terrific!

Rich Aldrich
11-09-2011, 7:52 PM
Ed - nice looking piece. The color is great and it is a different form but very nice. It reminds me of older Christmas tree ornaments.

John Keeton
11-09-2011, 7:54 PM
Ed, this is your best so far in many respects - fit, finish, proportions, color - it has it all. Individual preferences will vary, and I would probably agree with the comments on the base and "cup" on the finial (though it is quite interesting!) and I might have preferred a little more "flow" from the belly into the throat. That could easily be achieved by just a tad less "indent" in the upward transition from the belly.

But, all of those are minor, and very individualized, preferences! The fact is - this is a wonderfully done piece!! Who would have thought Ambrosia Maple would take dye like that?!?!?!?! I am impressed and will need to try that - the effect is wonderful.

Kathy Marshall
11-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Ed, I love how the dye turned out! The color is just great and it seems to glow! Great finish also. The form is different but I like it. Really nice job!

Ron Bontz
11-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Man. I really like that. I am not big on dies. But this one really looks good with the two tone.

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Ed interesting form but do love the color.

Ed Morgano
11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I have to agree... this is the best piece you have posted to date. I would also agree with the two "critiques" that the base may be a bit small and the tip of the finial too large. But those are small "nits" and overall, this shows some real progress. The form, coloring and finish are terrific!

David,
The base used to be bigger......just before the catch. When I cleaned up the splinters, this is all that was left and I really didn't want to do it over so I used it. As to the cup at the summit of the finial, I am trying to find something to stick up there besides a round ball or a spear point so that quest shall continue with more odd shapes to follow. In the meantime, My wife will use that small goblet to meter my daily alcohol intake.

Ed Morgano
11-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Ed,

that one has some WOW factor to it! Stunning finish and a most unusual form..............very unique finial also with the cup on top...................the finish has irradessance to it............not something found every day. I could see other colors with this type of finish as well.....very nice!

Would you care to reveal how you get that finish?

Roger,
I used a water based analine dye. I sanded the piece to 320 grit. Then I wet the piece to raise the grain and sanded it back after it was dry to 600 grit. After that, I wet the piece again and hand sanded it with the grain ( not under power) to gry to get the rest of the lined out. Then, I applied the dye and imediately washed it down with a wet rag. After it dried, I lightly sanded it with 600 grit under power. The finish I have been using is ACE Hardware premium enamel. (acehardwaresuperstore dot com has it for 2.22 per can online) It dries to the touch in about 60 seconds. I keep piece in the lathe, turn it by hand and spray the finish back and forth. I applied about 4 coats this way in 15 minutes. After that, I let the piece sit for about 45 minutes and then wet sanded it with 320 grit. I applied 3 more coats and let it sit overnight to allow the finish to set up some. In the morning, I again wetsanded the piece with 320 grit. I ended up sanding and drying the piece about 4 times till I got all the shinny spots out which let me know that the finish was smooth. After that, I applied two more coats with no more sanding.

Michelle Rich
11-10-2011, 7:48 AM
hard to believe it's wood..looks like glass in my monitor.. cool piece

Baxter Smith
11-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Nice job Ed! I think it has a very nice upward flow to it and the colors and finish look great! In the final picture, the color of the natural ring and finial appear to be different. They don't appear that way in the first two so it may just be the lighting. I find that a little distracting (but thats just me) and I think it is a very cool piece of work!

robert baccus
11-15-2011, 1:13 AM
Very nice piece and very unique. dyes can be fun to explore with. i am confused about the finish you used. i've never heard of an enamel with those qualities. would you expand on this?--------------------old forester

Norm Zax
11-15-2011, 4:48 AM
A dye to die for! Well done in all respects. Finally a non-pointy finial.
Adding a tech question - wet sanding, is that with water or oil and why wet?
Great job!
Norm

Donny Lawson
11-15-2011, 6:53 AM
Ed, You made an Awsome piece on this one. I like it all. The blue dye adds wonders to it. Now can you make a "RED" one??:D

Ed Morgano
11-15-2011, 6:53 PM
Very nice piece and very unique. dyes can be fun to explore with. i am confused about the finish you used. i've never heard of an enamel with those qualities. would you expand on this?--------------------old forester

Robert,
ACE hardware handles it. They call it an enamel but I think it acts more like laquer.

Ed, You made an Awsome piece on this one. I like it all. The blue dye adds wonders to it. Now can you make a "RED" one??:D YES!

A dye to die for! Well done in all respects. Finally a non-pointy finial.
Adding a tech question - wet sanding, is that with water or oil and why wet? I wet sand with water. It helps keep the sandpaper from clogging and also keeps the finish from burning when not fully cured.
Great job!
Norm