PDA

View Full Version : End grain glue-ups

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 6:15 PM
Okay, an oversimplified explanation of what I MAY do is cut about thirty 5" long pie shapes out of a 5" wide x 1 1/2" thick board to form a wheel, then turn it on the lathe to make a handle.

My question revolves around these glue-ups basically being end grain and their stability on the lathe. Now, I've done tests before and end grain glue-ups are actually remarkably strong, though not great for furniture. In essence, this is a segmented turning. But with no other support, since it would be a one layer segmented turning, how risky is doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Jon McElwain
11-09-2011, 6:19 PM
The only reasons it might not be perfectly safe would be poor gluing, or super oily wood that did not bond well. I would have NO problem gluing pie shapes together (I assume you are saying that if you follow the grain on the disk, it would make a circle, not grain pointing out radially from the center). This is pretty much how 95% of all segmented joints are constructed.

Bob Coates
11-09-2011, 6:25 PM
Suggestion: If possible, try using two 3/4" thick pieces. This would give you more support for the end grain glue up. I.e stagger the joints in two layers instead of one thick one.

Bob

Robert McGowen
11-09-2011, 6:38 PM
Mr. Coates has a good suggestion. As far as your question though, I personally would have no problem at all turning a glue up like you describe. The bigger problem is that if you do not have a hole in the middle of the "pie", there is a real chance that the joints will split apart over time, as there will be no way for the wood to move without leaving a gap.

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 6:42 PM
Thanks, Jon and Bob. Pretty much what I thought (and orientation is correct).

Robert, yes there will be a small hole upon glue-up, and eventually even larger because it will onto something else... Thanks.