PDA

View Full Version : NOT a gloat, but an opportunity?

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-09-2011, 5:17 PM
Hi folks. My wife went to a sewing club on Monday evening, and took some of my paltry offerings to show / sell... She sold a dibber for me, and many a laugh was had (by the all lady group), about the phallic mushrooms I made...
She was asked by the lady in charge whether I did any other types of woodwork (!), and could I make a lace bobbin winder? Having then spent a while taking 20 photo's on her phone, and talking to me, I made a start on some pine lying around in the shop last night, just roughing out pulleys / handles etc. I've been to hers tonight, and the list of things required by lace makers has increased:-

Winders;
Bobbins;
"Lazy-susans";
Prickers;
Lace holders (a large cotton reel);
and.... she'll think of something else...

So, when I get chance to finish a 'proper' one, I'll take a picture, some (most) parts of the winders are turned, with a bit of (cough, spit) plank work too. Wish me luck - the bobbins can be 110mm long, with a neck 3mm diameter, 19mm long... EEK!

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 6:08 PM
Primvs, please do post some pics. Would love to know what the heck you are talking about...;):D Actually, I really am looking forward to seeing them.

Allan Ferguson
11-09-2011, 6:40 PM
Yes, DO. I know what some of it is but not all.

David E Keller
11-09-2011, 7:47 PM
Sounds like a nice opportunity and a way to get you name out there! Congrats on the potential sales!

Sid Matheny
11-09-2011, 7:49 PM
Seam rippers are always a big hit with sewing clubs. You need to give it a try.

Sid

Jim Burr
11-09-2011, 8:58 PM
If it sells...turn it!

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-10-2011, 6:51 PM
O.K. guys, will definitely find out how to post pics on here, thanks for the comments - I didn't know what some of them were... Thanks Dave, Sid - I find corset rippers go down well too (LOL), and Jim - that sounds like a good strategy too!

Been out for the evening at a gig (The Hamsters - a Brit band), so no turning tonight - maybe some more tomorrow (fingers crossed!).

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2011, 7:07 PM
Primus another vote to post. I know some of it but not nearly enough.

Betty Fox
11-11-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm hoping when you say corset rippers you mean seam rippers. I can't imagine why anyone would want to wind lace around a wooden spindle but to each his own I guess. I'd like to see the pictures when you get finished too.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Primvs - from personal experience, all I can say is make sure you really enjoy turning this stuff as the demands for them will increase exponentially as word of your work spreads through the sewing world!

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

If you have any problems posting photos or questions on how to do it, PM me or any moderator and we'll be happy to assist.