PDA

View Full Version : What material to use for a stencil?

Riki Potter
11-09-2011, 5:01 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been approached to make a stencil to be used for spray painting a club name on paddles and kayaks. What materials should I look for that will cut cleanly, while being thin and flexible. I think something along the lines of the transparent sheets used in overhead projectors would work well but I have doubts about whether it will cut without melting.
Anyone out there with stencil experience?

Larry Bratton
11-09-2011, 5:18 PM
Look for oilboard. You can find it various art suppy places.

Riki Potter
11-09-2011, 6:53 PM
Thanks Larry, it looks along the lines of what I need. One other thing is they want it to be a permanent stencil they can use over and over, how many uses do you think oil board takes? I suppose if it does wear down after a while it looks cheap enough to make up half a dozen for them to use over time.

Dan Hintz
11-09-2011, 7:02 PM
How well-defined does the marking need to be? If well-defined, you need something that will stick to the paddle, like polyester "vinyl". If they can accept a bit of under-spray, old X-rays from the hospital trash bin work well and are free.

Ron Fairbanks
11-09-2011, 9:21 PM
I stock 7mil and 10mil clear mylar for making reusable wall stencils in 12"x24" for a local artist. I know she'll let a few go if you need. PM me for info.

Mark Sipes
11-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I use 1/32" engraving material or single ply tactile .... cuts like regular engraving plastic because it is, just 1/2 thickness...

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
11-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Agree with Dan, X Ray sheets a very good source to rely with

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Rodne Gold
11-10-2011, 1:16 AM
We use thin non expanded styrene for stencils , cheap and it works a charm - any plastic supplier will have it.
Polyester and PETG sheeting works well too.

Chuck Patterson
11-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Who supplies the 7mil and 10mil clear mylar?

Ron Fairbanks
11-11-2011, 2:15 PM
Chuck, we have ours cut to laser table size by a large stencil supplier. Big investment and slow turn around.

Larry Bratton
11-11-2011, 3:39 PM
Thanks Larry, it looks along the lines of what I need. One other thing is they want it to be a permanent stencil they can use over and over, how many uses do you think oil board takes? I suppose if it does wear down after a while it looks cheap enough to make up half a dozen for them to use over time.
The stuff is really inexpensive, so your idea of making several would not be a bad idea. I have no idea how many uses you could get out of one, but several I'm sure.