PDA

View Full Version : Lumpafrewud Burl

David DeCristoforo
11-08-2011, 4:48 PM
Ever since I discovered the city wood dump, I have been stopping by once or twice a week just to see what people have dropped off. The other day I saw this sitting there:

I believe it is some species of maple judging from the bark. It looked promising so I fought it into the back of my truck and brought it home. I cut the end off and was pleased to see some very interesting figure:

About half to the lump had no figure at all:

A few more cuts with my crappy little electric chainsaw reduced it to pieces small enough to cut up on my bandsaw. There's some really fascinating figure in some of these pieces. Of course they are as wet as can be and will need drying time or the DNA treatment. I'm thinking I will turn a few green and see what happens.

There was also a nice looking walnut crotch that I hauled home too and will cut up this afternoon.

charlie knighton
11-08-2011, 4:57 PM
gold rush....

Doug W Swanson
11-08-2011, 6:34 PM
I've said this before but you guys are lucky that you can take wood from the dump. Here in Minnesota you can't take anything because of all the nasty pests around (like Emerald Ash Borer, etc).

Looks like a great haul!

David DeCristoforo
11-08-2011, 6:51 PM
"...you guys are lucky that you can take wood from the dump..."

This not the "official" dump which is guarded better than Fort Knox. Can't have people messing with the garbage, ya know! But we have a big community garden right in the middle of town and there is a wood dump there that people have free access to.

Jamie Donaldson
11-08-2011, 7:06 PM
That is a weird lookin' lump David? Appears to be a burl that has encapsulated the smaller burls in several layers, rather than growing larger from within as usually happens?

David DeCristoforo
11-08-2011, 7:17 PM
Could be, Jamie. I've been finding some pretty weird stuff in this wood dump. Maybe trees just do odd things here. Remember those pistachio pieces that looked like two different woods grafted together with the blond stripe in between? I never saw any wood like that either. Maybe Davis is just a place where wood gets strange. Maybe from Monsanto being here and secretly planting mutated trees...

Hayes Rutherford
11-08-2011, 7:40 PM
Looks like a cinnamon roll burl.

Roland Martin
11-08-2011, 7:45 PM
Wow, got some great dump-diving going on your way. If you wern't 3,000 miles away, I'd visit, DANG!

Jesse Goodwin
11-08-2011, 7:59 PM
Here in SW Florida dump diving is a good way to get poisoned by many of the exotic tropicals that are landscape trees. I found some silk oak (lacewood) once that caused me to break out in hives from the top of my head to my toes just like poison ivy. Now I don't turn anything until I know what it is and what its toxicity is.

When I die, just bury me in my shavings!

David E Keller
11-08-2011, 9:04 PM
Interesting! That thing looks like some kind of tree roll-up! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Baxter Smith
11-08-2011, 9:52 PM
Picture number 2 is strange to say the least! Looking forward to seeing this again!

Harry Robinette
11-08-2011, 10:10 PM
David
Do you live close to a testing ground!!!!!:eek:

Doug W Swanson
11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
"
but we have a big community garden right in the middle of town and there is a wood dump there that people have free access to.

Sounds similar to what we have here. Basically it's a place to haul your leaves and brush. You can take as much compost as you want but any wood (brush, logs, etc) must stay there to help prevent the spread of disease and pests. I've seen some nice wood there but it's all off limits :(...

Kathy Marshall
11-08-2011, 11:11 PM
That looks pretty cool David! I vote for turning one green right now so we can see what it looks like. So are you outside yet? Got the lathe fired up yet? Whatcha waiting for? :D

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2011, 11:21 PM
That is going to be some cool turnings David. I agree to turn something green to see what you have.

Scott Hackler
11-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Neat looking wood.

Our "limb dump" is a city wide place where anyone can take grass clippings, leaves or limbs. The city actually turns the mulch over and over again until it's compost. Anyone in town can drop off or remove anything they want.