PDA

View Full Version : Travel Mugs

dan carter
11-08-2011, 4:01 PM
These are the last two mugs that went down to the gallery. They continue to be popular around here. Guess many folks drive many miles around here and a warm hot chocolate hits the spot. Have had 18 inches of snow or so, only 480 or so to go til spring. The Juniper seems to sell more readily than the walnut and maple ones. When I put Malachite and/or Azurite in the Walnut, they show well and are sold readily.

Jon McElwain
11-08-2011, 4:04 PM
Good looking mugs! PLEASE don't let my wife see those!

Jonathan Smith
11-08-2011, 6:53 PM
When I put Malachite and/or Azurite in the Walnut, they show well and are sold readily.

Those are really nice. I have thought about trying inlace. Did you use real stone? In epoxy? Can it be turned or do you need to sand it?

Thanks!
Jonathan

Damon Stathatos
11-08-2011, 6:57 PM
Those are really nice. I have thought about trying inlace. Did you use real stone? In epoxy? Can it be turned or do you need to sand it?

Same questions as above and also what do you use to finish / seal ?

dan carter
11-08-2011, 7:33 PM
I use Malachite and Azurite instead of Turquoise on most. I like their color better. I think all three are copper related. On this mug, a groove was cut a healthy 1/16" deep with a parting tool. Then, a medium CA with the larger pieces of Malachite and Azurite sprinkled on, then immediately a thin CA was applied then an accelerator sprayed on. After the piece was rotated and the groove filled with the crushed stones, then a powder of Malachite was used to fill open pores not filled by the larger stones. Then at 350-400 rpm, a disc grinder was used to knock off the top and smooth the inlay, then finished up with 80,120,220 grit 3" blue discs. This technique works well and adds value to mugs that I turn which have pretty good size knot holes. The owner of the gallery wants several mugs with Steamboat, a bucking bronc with a rider, a symbol used widely in Wyoming. The couple hundred $$ selling price make it interesting to consider. Because of the copyright issues with the State, it will take some lead time. Then she is suggesting flowers inlaid so I guess it may lead to many more mugs. A brushing lacquer was used as sealer and Minwax Antique Oil as the second-fourth coats, and finally buffed.

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Those are a couple of good looking mugs Dan. Like the embellishments.

Greg Just
11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Nice looking mugs. Good luck with the sales. They tend to sell well during the holidays.

Joe Adams
11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Just curious - What's your favorite source for the inserts? Looks like a couple of different ones.

dan carter
11-08-2011, 11:09 PM
hobby lobby and big lots.

Eric Skell
11-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Excellent job! The inserts...are they just cheap generic coffee cups that you cut the outer shell off? Do you try to cut the opening larger and insulate the insert? Thanks!

dan carter
11-09-2011, 1:43 PM
Inserts, yes and no. On some inserts the lid doesn't fit too tight; I haven't noticed that with the hobby lobby ones. Yes, the inserts that have an acrylic body are screwed on, so they can be removed easily and they work as well as any i've ever found and used. I don't insulate the ones that I make but I see some people do.

Eric Skell
11-10-2011, 1:35 PM
Thanks Dan! I hit Hobby Lobby last night and got 10 of their $3.99 cups. Much nicer that the going rate for the turning kits.