PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax CU300 Smart

Ian Wormsbecker
11-08-2011, 9:55 AM
I am contemplating the purchase of a MiniMax CU 300 Smart. I have a question for anyone else that has bought one.

The company I am buying from is claiming that the 'angular device' is an add-on at a cost of $600. For those of you that have bought one of these machines, did you have to pay extra for this? The literature states a 'short miter gauge' is included, however the picture of the machine doesn't show it.

Here is the full 'tech' sheet. Note that is says 'Short miter fence...'

Here is what I thought was the short miter fence.

Ian

David Kumm
11-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Ian, you may want to post on the MM yahoo group for specifics. I know that I have never seen those types of devices included with the saw. Every company has a different way of setting angles but I would be surprised if it is standard. Options on euro machines tend to be priced high. Dave

Ian Wormsbecker
11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I just spoke with Eric at MiniMax USA and he believes that the 'short miter fence' is indeed the 'angular device'.

Mike Hollingsworth
11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Came with mine in 2003. No other 'angular device'.
Also came with 2nd shaper spindle, mortise attachment, 8 ft slider, but no shaper sled.
I paid about $7500 new.
Made room for a 20" wide belt sander, 24" bandsaw, big lathe, cyclone, RAS, tool chest and workbench. No other way to get it all in a two car garage.

Don Wacker
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
This is the information for the MM guru. Give Sam a call he will talk your ear numb but knows more about the MM multi functions than anyone I know.

Sam Blasco
sblasco@scmgroup.com
512-796-3036 (direct line)
866-975-9663 (main office/parts/tech services) www.minimax-usa.com (http://www.minimax-usa.com/)

Don

Larry Edgerton
11-08-2011, 8:14 PM
I have one on a different model, and that is a very usefull piece. I use the flipstop quite often, and there is a square tube inside the main extrusion that slides out even farther. You want it, I can tell you that. If its part of the deal, Can't know....

Larry

Ian Wormsbecker
11-08-2011, 8:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. SCM Canada says it isn't part of the package. SCM USA says it is. hehe. Regardless, the machine is on order including the 'angular device'. For a few hundred dollars it wasn't worth not getting the machine.

Ian.

mreza Salav
11-08-2011, 9:26 PM
Ian, Congratulations! those sure are nice machines. So you sold your j/p combo?

Ian Wormsbecker
11-08-2011, 9:43 PM
Ian, Congratulations! those sure are nice machines. So you sold your j/p combo?

Haven't sold it yet. I should really get on that :) I am looking at a power feeder and it would be nice to fund it and some shaper cutters with the proceeds :)

Mike Ruggeri
11-09-2011, 9:45 AM
Ian,

Just as a note - I use the "small" miter guage (the angular device as you call it) all the time on my CU300. In fact, I use it more that the bigger sliding table. The smaller miter guage takes up much less space and handles most jobs (as noted above it extends as well to handle longer items). If I have to cut a larger piece (like a sheet of ply), then it only takes a minute to switch to the bigger sliding table. I made a shelf type holder so my larger table easily hangs on the wall when not in use but is easy to access if needed. This all said, I think it is worth having the smaller guage.

Good luck with the machine.

Mike

Rod Sheridan
11-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Ian, that's a nice machine, congratulations on the purchase.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
11-12-2011, 6:22 PM
Sad you had to pay extra for the short miter fence...it's the workhorse on my MM slider, that's for sure! But congrats on your new combo! Great choice. Nice machine that will last you a lifetime.