PDA

View Full Version : Jet JWS-22CS Shaper

Jerome Hanby
11-08-2011, 8:01 AM
Any opinions on this 1.5 HP Jet shaper?

Jeff Monson
11-08-2011, 8:46 AM
Jerome, my opinion would be to step up to a 3 or 5hp shaper. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I know a couple people with 1.5hp shapers and they wish they had bigger machines. Larger table, better fence, ability to handle larger cutters are the main advantages. If this were for a dedicated cope and stick machine then it would fit the bill. Just my .02

David Nelson1
11-08-2011, 8:56 AM
I have one and have used it a bit its better than a router table for stablity and power and does a fine job and stiles and rails if your doing a small run. It won't replace a router table because you can recess your bit below the table.

The 22 comes with 1/4 and 1/2 router spindles as well as a 1/2 and 3/4 shaper spindles. If you are thinking of adding a feeder, this is not the shaper you want. It's to light weight and may tip over if the feeder is placed to one side. There is also no room to mount one.

I was going to add a pad and bolt it to the table and then counter weight the cabinet with lead shot. Gave up on that idea when I found a used 3 hp with a feeder. Light use as in picture frames ,small molding or small rail and stile work it would be a great machine.

David Nelson1
11-08-2011, 8:57 AM
Jerome, my opinion would be to step up to a 3 or 5hp shaper. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I know a couple people with 1.5hp shapers and they wish they had bigger machines. Larger table, better fence, ability to handle larger cutters are the main advantages. If this were for a dedicated cope and stick machine then it would fit the bill. Just my .02

LOL same same!

david brum
11-08-2011, 9:04 AM
I have one. It was an un-refusable craigslist deal. I've used it a bunch and really like it. I'm sure that a bigger shaper would be even better, but a larger one won't fit into my shop. One of the nice things about these 1.5hp shapers is that they can roll around easily on a mobile base, since they're pretty light and small enough to be maneuverable.

Some good things:
-Power is adequate for this size. I haven't bogged mine or popped a breaker.
-Fence isn't bad, although it's pretty basic. I made better hardwood faces, but they're consumable anyway.
-Reversible motor is great once you figure out the benefits. Again, the reversing switch is basic but it works.
-Spindle is decent quality without much runout.

Not so good:
-The steel hold down is about useless. I bought a "baby feeder" which is a good match for this size shaper.
-The elevating mechanism was really stiff on mine. I disassembled, then reassembled it, smeared with fine valve grinding compound. After working it up and down a bunch of times, then cleaning up the grit, it works super smooth now.
-The spindle lock is inconveniently placed under the table. It gets used a lot, so you quickly learn to operate it by feel.
-The cabinet door has a goofy latch.
-As others have said before, router bits leave a somewhat disappointing finish at this relatively slow speed.
-They are light weight units. Mine is on a mobile base with a plywood bottom. I placed a 40lb box of sand in the bottom of the cabinet in order to stabilize it. Works great.

Overall, I think it's a good entry into the shaper world. When I use mine, I'm always amazed at how cleanly and crisply it cuts compared to my router table.
-

Jerome Hanby
11-08-2011, 9:23 AM
Thanks for the info. This was also a possible "unpassable" CL deal. I've had it in the back of my mind that one day I'd track down one of those old Delta Shapers that look like the old Unisaws. I'll see if I get an email back on this shaper. I may make a reduced offer on it and let that decide if I get it or not.

Rod Sheridan
11-08-2011, 9:38 AM
Jerome, I'm with Jeff on the size of the shaper.

I use my shaper a lot, edge molding, rebating/grooving, template copying, cope and stick, and tenon cutting.

I also use it for ripping small profiles, the stock feeder makes an enormous difference in safety and accuracy.

That said, if the deal is great, go for it, you'll be hooked on a shaper in no time and will be then able to determine whether the next upgrade is required.

Regards, Rod.

Don Wacker
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
The problem with the little imported shapers and some of the bigger ones is the fence. You buy a shaper and they supply you with expensive scrap metal that you have to replace with a chunk of wood. One reason to get a bigger machine is they usually have a usable fence. I think if your just starting in the shaper world they are ok and you will definitely like it more than even the biggest of routers. Check out MLCS for some cheap 3/4" cutters they are small enough in diameter for the lower HP shapers.

Don

Jerome Hanby
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. If I get the shaper, I'll definitely hit up MCLS for some cutters. Any particular profile that would be in the "definitely need this around" list?

Don Wacker
11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. If I get the shaper, I'll definitely hit up MCLS for some cutters. Any particular profile that would be in the "definitely need this around" list?

Just depends on what you do. One thing to remember is that bearings are just as important as cutters. The more bearing and bushings you have the easier it is to configure cutters to do many different things. You can also flip your cutters and run the motor a different direction. So basicly you can get a round over with two different profiles to save some money. You can also stack cutters so if you do alot of tenons you can easily use two slot cutters with a bearing in between and use shims to fine tune match your mortises. The list goes on and on just be creative you will get the hang of it.

Don

Jerome Hanby
11-08-2011, 3:23 PM
I think the creative part will be trying to convince my wife that this tool has always been in the shop, she just hasn't noticed it before <g>

Cary Falk
11-08-2011, 4:03 PM
I think the creative part will be trying to convince my wife that this tool has always been in the shop, she just hasn't noticed it before <g>
Put it in the corner and pile stuff on it. Pull it out in a month and when she ask just say "What, that old thing?" Should work unless she catches on because she uses the same line with shoes, clothes, etc....:D

david brum
11-08-2011, 10:15 PM
As a follow-up to the OP's question about which cutters to buy up front, I wouldn't buy a bunch until I specifically needed them. Having said that, a 1" rabbeting bit with a matching rub collar is pretty darn useful.

Before I bought a bunch of dedicated profiles, I'd take a look at a cutterhead with interchangeable HSS cutters. The system is comparatively affordable and there are lots and lots of profiles available. The 3 1/8" head will definitely fit your shaper http://www.amazon.com/CMT-692-078-19-4-Inch-Shaper-Cutter/dp/B000P4NP9O

(http://www.amazon.com/CMT-692-078-19-4-Inch-Shaper-Cutter/dp/B000P4NP9O)

Jerome Hanby
11-09-2011, 5:09 PM
That definitely looks cool. Seller has yet to get back in touch with me. so all is probably moot. Of course the last time a came to that conclusion I got an email three days later and came home with a Hegner Scroll Saw...

As a follow-up to the OP's question about which cutters to buy up front, I wouldn't buy a bunch until I specifically needed them. Having said that, a 1" rabbeting bit with a matching rub collar is pretty darn useful.

Before I bought a bunch of dedicated profiles, I'd take a look at a cutterhead with interchangeable HSS cutters. The system is comparatively affordable and there are lots and lots of profiles available. The 3 1/8" head will definitely fit your shaper http://www.amazon.com/CMT-692-078-19-4-Inch-Shaper-Cutter/dp/B000P4NP9O

(http://www.amazon.com/CMT-692-078-19-4-Inch-Shaper-Cutter/dp/B000P4NP9O)

david brum
11-09-2011, 5:39 PM
Good luck! If you end up with it, PM me and I'll share a few mods that will make the machine work better.