PDA

View Full Version : The vortex got me, a lathe has been ordered.

Derek Gilmer
11-07-2011, 2:23 PM
After some over time pay this weekend I convinced my lovely wife a lathe was a good purchase. And with amazon's dirt cheap price and $3.99 next day shipping (lovely wife's amazon mom/prime account) I'll have a shiny new Delta 46-460 on the door step tomorrow. Now to find some wood and tools... :D

Marty Eargle
11-07-2011, 2:26 PM
Congrats! Look forward to seeing it half buried with shavings in a few days.

Lee Koepke
11-07-2011, 3:46 PM
great thing about wood for a lathe .... anything --- and I mean anything --- is fair game!!!! Its been right at a year for me and I feel empty if I dont go downstairs and turn at least ONE thing every day ....

Roger Chandler
11-07-2011, 4:10 PM
Congrats Derek.........the 46-460 was a good choice!

Tim Rinehart
11-07-2011, 4:20 PM
Yep...very good choice!

Scott Hackler
11-07-2011, 4:37 PM
Congrats on your new lathe. If you have a "limb dump" recycling place around where you live, there is usually a LOT of free wood dropped off.

Steve Schlumpf
11-07-2011, 5:22 PM
Congrats on ordering your new lathe! Good choice!! Looking forward to seeing the photos once it arrives!!

Paul Heely
11-07-2011, 5:31 PM
Congratulations. Be careful buying tools. The vortex is strong. Its easy to wake up wondering where you are and how all those tools managed to show up :)

Jim Burr
11-07-2011, 6:41 PM
Cool purchase!! Make sure you buy the best tools possible! Maybe start with a good set from HF or a B&B set. Then move up! Get a good sharpening system...I'm fond of my Griz Tormek knock off. Cheaper than a grinder, wheel(s) and jig. Hope you have a fair camera...no pics..didn't happen!!

Derek Gilmer
11-07-2011, 6:45 PM
Cool purchase!! Make sure you buy the best tools possible! Maybe start with a good set from HF or a B&B set. Then move up! Get a good sharpening system...I'm fond of my Griz Tormek knock off. Cheaper than a grinder, wheel(s) and jig. Hope you have a fair camera...no pics..didn't happen!!

Yep, heading to HF soon to get the basic HSS set. I've got a worsharp 3000. I've read a few articles on making it work for lathe tools. Not ideal but it'll do til I get a grinder or something better.

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2011, 6:51 PM
Congrats. Nice lathe.

Kevin W Johnson
11-07-2011, 7:29 PM
Welcome to the Vortex. The cost of the lathe is nothing compared to what you WILL spend.

Roland Martin
11-07-2011, 8:08 PM
Congrats! You're gonna have to keep the overtime going for a few more years to pay for the "necessities".

Jon McElwain
11-08-2011, 2:15 AM
Congrats! You picked a winner - that little lathe will not let you down.

Donny Lawson
11-08-2011, 6:42 AM
The 46-460 is a nice little workhorse and will give you years and years of great turnings. Now you better get back to some more overtime. Your gonna need it. Chucks,sharpening jigs,turning tools,hollowing tools,grinders,Lathe stand,anchorseal,dyes,pen kits,chainsaw,bandsaw,drillchuck for lathe, and this was just the basics. Look on the bright side, Christmas is coming and your wife will know what to get you. Enjoy your new toy and we need to see pics when it gets here.

Derek Gilmer
11-08-2011, 7:06 AM
The 46-460 is a nice little workhorse and will give you years and years of great turnings. Now you better get back to some more overtime. Your gonna need it. Chucks,sharpening jigs,turning tools,hollowing tools,grinders,Lathe stand,anchorseal,dyes,pen kits,chainsaw,bandsaw,drillchuck for lathe, and this was just the basics. Look on the bright side, Christmas is coming and your wife will know what to get you. Enjoy your new toy and we need to see pics when it gets here.

Nah, I'm gonna do all my work with a skew only and use my feet. In a few years maybe some one will make a video about me that will get posted 5 or 6 times :)

Bill Bulloch
11-08-2011, 7:49 AM
You are going to enjoy the 46-460. I have been using one for about two years now and love it. As far as finding wood, I can't image you not being able to find trees in Arkansas. That thought took me back to a nostalgic look at all the times I got my boat or fishing line hung up on a tree in Lake Conway. Welcome to woodturning and the Creek.

Derek Gilmer
11-08-2011, 9:02 AM
You are going to enjoy the 46-460. I have been using one for about two years now and love it. As far as finding wood, I can't image you not being able to find trees in Arkansas. That thought took me back to a nostalgic look at all the times I got my boat or fishing line hung up on a tree in Lake Conway. Welcome to woodturning and the Creek.

Yep, lake Conway is great to have so close by. A little tree covered but that just adds to the fun. So far wood doesn't look like it will be the issue. Space to dry it all may be. But my wife doesn't really need all that closet space :)

matt braun
11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Derek,

Derek,
Have you researched chucks yet? I'm considering getting the Delta lathe and don't really understand if the Reversible Nova G3-D chuck is just recommended or absolutely necessary. What will happen if I get the normal chuck (which is on sale with quite a few accessories at Woodcraft) and use it in reverse? Will it unscrew itself and cause damage to the tools and/or me? I'm sure the answers to this are on this informative forum somewhere, but it's easier to just ask.

Paul Heely
11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Derek,
I'm sure the answers to this are on this informative forum somewhere, but it's easier to just ask.

Like in this thread, Would the regular Nova G3 work on the Delta 46-460 or do I need the G3-D? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174978-Would-the-regular-Nova-G3-work-on-the-Delta-46-460-or-do-I-need-the-G3-D)

Derek Gilmer
11-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Derek,

Derek,
Have you researched chucks yet? I'm considering getting the Delta lathe and don't really understand if the Reversible Nova G3-D chuck is just recommended or absolutely necessary. What will happen if I get the normal chuck (which is on sale with quite a few accessories at Woodcraft) and use it in reverse? Will it unscrew itself and cause damage to the tools and/or me? I'm sure the answers to this are on this informative forum somewhere, but it's easier to just ask.

Looks like Paul has it covered. On a side note, what part of Ky? I grew up outside of Danville.

Steven Fitzgerald
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Congratulations. Be careful buying tools. The vortex is strong. Its easy to wake up wondering where you are and how all those tools managed to show up :)

How very true!

John Keeton
11-09-2011, 7:29 AM
Excellent choice, Derek!! By this time, you should have that new Delta all set up - looking forward to the pics, and the first turnings from it!

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 9:06 AM
Derek, that lathe may have been the cheapest part of your turning experience. Enjoy the venture.

Derek Gilmer
11-09-2011, 9:15 AM
Excellent choice, Derek!! By this time, you should have that new Delta all set up - looking forward to the pics, and the first turnings from it!

Welcome back John, it is great to see you recovering so fast.

But no the lathe isn't set up yet. Amazon (not suprisingly for a 100lb lathe) couldn't make it over night. But they were great about it. They refunded the overnight shipping cost and give me a nice little credit on my amazon account to make up for the trouble. The lathe is "on the truck" for delivery now though. So hopefully by this afternoon or tonight after church I'll have something spinning around on it. Pics will be sure to follow.

matt braun
11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm in Lexington. Danville's a nice town, I seem to end up there every couple years or so.

Noah Barfield
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Congratulations!

Derek Gilmer
11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Ok, so PLEASE don't hate me for what you are about to see. I don't have proper tools yet (fixed tonight I hope) but had to turn something when the lathe showed up. A skew chisel and bench chisel don't work too bad on pine :eek:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LmFYvaZuPMc/TrqzRH1lYzI/AAAAAAAAHaQ/N_1eoelfmLg/s912/IMG_1748.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0uSN-P8m8rI/TrqzQMZE_vI/AAAAAAAAHaI/vCUXzGHDwgE/s912/IMG_1749.JPG

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Got it dirty quick, didn'tcha? Congrats. Go get some tools. And enjoy!

Derek Gilmer
11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Got it dirty quick, didn'tcha? Congrats. Go get some tools. And enjoy!
Ya, I've got a disorder where I don't trust a clean tool. And going to go this afternoon and pick up some real tools. I'd hate to be laughed out of the vortex for my chisel use.

Michael Menzli
11-09-2011, 1:20 PM
Ive got all the wood you could ever need...still cleaning up a pile of spalted sycamore and riverbirch that met their demise...some green some dried out...if shipping is reasonable i'll gladly shoot you a few blocks.

Scott Hackler
11-09-2011, 1:35 PM
I was in the same spot as you. When my lathe arrived, the tools hadn't gotten here yet....so.... I turned my first project (a bowl) with a standard 1" bench chisel! :) Talk about a lot of tool marks to sand out!

John Keeton
11-09-2011, 2:04 PM
Derek, looks great!! Glad you finally got it in and made some shavings. Those new tools will make a huge difference.

Dick Wilson
11-09-2011, 2:19 PM
Derek, I hate to be the bearer of bad;) news but look down. You are on the lip......below is the real vortex you are headed for:D. Enjoy your turning obsession. It is one demensia that does no harm and is fun

Baxter Smith
11-09-2011, 5:34 PM
Congrats on a nice lathe! Good luck on picking up some tools!

Rich Aldrich
11-09-2011, 7:50 PM
Derek - I really feel sorry for you, getting sucked into this mess with the rest of us.:eek::D

Seriously, I hear that is a great lathe. Turning sure is a lot of fun. My wife never misses a chance to tell me how expensive it is.

Mike Cruz
11-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Misery loves company....