PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Roof Question.....

Justin Jump
11-07-2011, 1:22 PM
All,

Wasnt sure where to post this, but since it has to do with the roof on my new workshop - I thought I would put it here.

Anyways take a look at the attached picture. I would like to steal this idea, and put a roof over the door to my shop.

The key is, I like this roof, with no posts being used for support. It looks like the roof uses 2 large wooden gussetts of some sort, attached to the main structure.

Of course, the gussets could be decorative, and the roof was planned that way, and the internal floor joists are cantilevered out for the main support.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas who might make these, if it will even work, please share.

I only need to support a small roof, it will only come out from the wall 4 feet, and have a 4/12 pitch. It will be a Hip Roof style....

Thx,
-Justin

Jaromir Svoboda
11-07-2011, 9:16 PM
Few pictures of what I did.Roof is only 2' wide.Pitch is 4/12.I screwed 2x4 to the studs,then made 2x4 frames with OSB on top,nailed it to 2x4 on wall and used cedar 2x4 for gussets,cedar fascia and aluminum soffit.
Hope it makes any sense.

Chris Damm
11-08-2011, 8:28 AM
Wouldn't a hip roof style defeat the purpose of having a roof over the entryway? Rain could come down on all both sides and the front unless you put a gutter on it.

Mike Wilkins
11-08-2011, 9:51 AM
I made something similar on a former home we lived in. Small roof section over an entry door with curved brackets, made up of glued-up 3/4" stock. Cut on the bandsaw, sanded, primed and painted. Since this small roof section does not carry much weight, the brackets are more than enough for support. Either mortise into the wall framing or use some long galvanized lag screws or bolts. For inspiration on bracket shapes, check out some books on timber framing. There are examples of straight and curved brackets found on a lot of timber homes that would work.

Jeff Caulk
11-14-2011, 3:13 PM
This shed has the same type of roof over the door with the outriggers.
http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Outdoor-Projects/Backyard-Structures/Sheds/2010-shed

Figure "E" has the small roof details
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Attachments/2010Shed_FigE.pdf