PDA

View Full Version : Peel and Stick Veneer

Jack Young
03-03-2005, 9:47 PM
Gang-

New project for me: Refacing a kitchen full of cabinets.

Question: Do any of you have experience or know where I can find info on the 'peel and stick' veneer commonly used by the contractors who do refacing of cabinets, etc.? My concern is whether or not it has lasting power anything like contact cement or the new Titebond product for cold press veneering. Surely some of you have used the prepped/backed veneer and have either an opinion or knowledge about it (probably both). It almost seems too good to be true, and one ought to be suspicious of that.

Forgive my recent absence. My time has been thrown a few curves lately, including my wife's health problems. Any help on this score will be deeply appreciated.

Jack

aurelio alarcon
03-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I've heard of this stick on type of veneer. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was on the web. I'd like to find out more about this stuff too. Sorry I can't add anymore. But I am interested in what others have ot say

Doug Shepard
03-04-2005, 6:53 AM
I haven't used Peel and Stick Veneer, but something sort of close. You can get rolls of P&S heat activated sheet adhesive. You apply the sheet adhesive then put paperbacked veneer over that. Then you heat with an iron to activate the glue and use a J-Roller to press it down. I used it on smaller projects (pieces roughly 18"x24") and haven't had any problems with it delaminating.

Scott Parks
03-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I haven't used Peel and Stick Veneer, but something sort of close. You can get rolls of P&S heat activated sheet adhesive. You apply the sheet adhesive then put paperbacked veneer over that. Then you heat with an iron to activate the glue and use a J-Roller to press it down. I used it on smaller projects (pieces roughly 18"x24") and haven't had any problems with it delaminating.
And where did you buy it? I too have a need to find some of this stuff...

Doug Shepard
03-04-2005, 11:03 AM
And where did you buy it? I too have a need to find some of this stuff...
Rockler has it.
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=1429&filter=veneer

And so does WW Supply
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=132-008

Bob Reilly
03-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Woodworkers supply also has the PSA veneer,that's what you want for what your going to do.

Al Lupone
03-04-2005, 1:57 PM
I came across the site called tapeease.com while searching in the past. A lot of info & materials.

Al

Richard McComas
03-04-2005, 2:08 PM
I did my first and only cabinet re-facing job about 20 years ago. The project went well and the peel and stick veneer stuck permanently to the best of my knowledge, never had a call back on it.

I used the products from Keystone (http://www.keystonedoors.com/) at the time they offered an instructional video which was a big help, don’t know if they still offer that but I could loan you mine if you were interested.

Now days when I build cabinet with melamine boxes I use a peel and stick product from 3-M for the exposed gable ends that has not given me any problems and I can now get that locally at a cabinet supply place here in town.

Jack Young
03-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks All:

My intense web work and a few telephone calls indicates that (apparently) the peel and stick adhesive is a 3M pressure activated glue which goes down with cauls, a special spatula or a vacuum press and stays put. One veneer dealer I looked up on the web considers it about the same as decals and won't sell it, but it seems to be favored over the raw veneer by a growing number of folks. I found a book on renewing kitchens, which came a day or so ago, and is the only one published thus far. The author has used peel and stick for years and considers it the only way to go. It is typically1/64th" of veneer on a 10 mill paper backing and can wrap around a square edge easily, where the raw veneer, a bit thicker, won't do that.

There are dealers which one can find on the web under "veneer, peel, stick" and I am talking with both Bob Morgan (502-225-5586) and the supplier for Woodcraft (Sauers) because it is a special order which you can negotiate, but still gets run through Woodcraft. On birdseye maple, the base cost for raw veneer is around $5.00/sq. ft., paper backed without glue runs around $8.50 and peel and stick around $10, but prices apparently vary rather wildly from time to time.

I thank each of you for your contribution to the topic. Wish me luck.

Jack

Richard McComas
03-06-2005, 1:29 AM
Thanks All:

My intense web work and a few telephone calls indicates that (apparently) the peel and stick adhesive is a 3M pressure activated glue which goes down with cauls, a special spatula or a vacuum press and stays put. One veneer dealer I looked up on the web considers it about the same as decals and won't sell it, but it seems to be favored over the raw veneer by a growing number of folks. I found a book on renewing kitchens, which came a day or so ago, and is the only one published thus far. The author has used peel and stick for years and considers it the only way to go. It is typically1/64th" of veneer on a 10 mill paper backing and can wrap around a square edge easily, where the raw veneer, a bit thicker, won't do that.

There are dealers which one can find on the web under "veneer, peel, stick" and I am talking with both Bob Morgan (502-225-5586) and the supplier for Woodcraft (Sauers) because it is a special order which you can negotiate, but still gets run through Woodcraft. On birdseye maple, the base cost for raw veneer is around $5.00/sq. ft., paper backed without glue runs around $8.50 and peel and stick around $10, but prices apparently vary rather wildly from time to time.

I thank each of you for your contribution to the topic. Wish me luck.

JackI just bought some 3-M peel and stick Hickory veneer in 2 foot by 8 foot for 42 dollars plus change. That about 2.64 a square foot and the here in Alaska were we pay a lot for shipping.