PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity to buy a Jointer

Alfred Hoffmann
03-03-2005, 7:55 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a "General" 6" long bed jointer. Does anyone have an experience with this jointer and its manufacturer?

John Bailey
03-03-2005, 8:03 PM
Alfred,

What model is the jointer, and is it "General" or "General International."

John

Jeff Sudmeier
03-04-2005, 8:09 AM
Alfred,

Also, what is the price on it? How old? Etc... The guys here are very up on tools and can tell you if it is a good deal or not.

Jeff

Alfred Hoffmann
03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
It's a "General International" - Model 80-100LM1. It's still in the box. Original quoted price is $495.

Al

John Bailey
03-04-2005, 7:54 PM
Alfred,

If you drive down the road to WoodSource in Grand Rapids, you can get a new one with all the warranties and customer service for $529. That's probably what I would do for the extra $34. Now if you were to deal a bit and get a much lower price, then the decision would be harder. By the way, I'm in the market and have researched and that is the jointer I've decided on. From everything I've been able to find out, they are good machines for the money.

John

Alfred Hoffmann
03-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks, John. That's what I am going to do. I called them up and I am told that they will sell the same jointer for $529 and pick up the sales tax (end of March special).

Al

John Bailey
03-05-2005, 7:17 PM
Alfred,

I've been waiting for the e-mail notice about when the sales tax sale is. I haven't heard. Do you know when it is?

Make sure you put some pictures here on the Creek and let us know how you like the jointer. Right now I'm planning to buy a band saw and possibly the jointer during the sale. So, I'd like to know how you like it.

John