PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Recommendations

Bob Nickey
11-07-2011, 7:42 AM
I am currently in the market for a new lathe. At this point it looks like a Powermatic 3520 B or a Nova DVR 2024. (Oneway is not in my budget). I would appreciate comments and recommendations. Also other suggestions. I am thinking in the $3 to 4000 price range. Thanks.

Richard Allen
11-07-2011, 9:20 AM
The Oneway 1640 is only slightly above that price range. One of the many great things about this lathe is that the lathe is "upgradable". This is to say that when you want more capacity you can buy an attachment. The attachments aren't cheap but they are designed to work great. If you never upgrade the lathe is a wonderful lathe to work on.

Scott Hackler
11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Bob, if I was in the market for a new lathe and wanted to stay under $4000, I would be seriously looking at the Powermatic Onyx Anniversary Edition (mostly because of the free 18" bed extension, floor mat and that it's black not mustard). I saw this lathe in Waco at the symposium and its a sharp piece. Short of spending $7000 on a Robust American Beauty, this is the lathe on the top of my list. I lot of lathe for the money, IMO. I would get a price quote from Sean at Toolnut. (I have never bought from them, but many here have and he beats almost everyones prices).

I also saw the Nova and even though I am a happy Nova (1624-44) owner, I wasn't impressed with the build quality of thier new lathe. To me, it looks less impressive than the current Nova DVR.

Don't rule out Jet either, they are having a 20% off sale (like every year end!) and there might be a model that suits your needs.

Jon Nuckles
11-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I bought my 3520b a little less than a year ago and paid significantly less than $3000 delivered during Powermatic's 20% off sale. I bought from Craft Supplies, which matched the lowest advertised price I could find online. I was very happy with their customer service and I am delighted by the performance of the lathe. I have not used the Nova lathe, so I cannot give you a comparison. Good luck with your search.

Reed Gray
11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
The PM has a lot more mass than the Nova. A big plus if you turn a lot of bowls. I also prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting ones. Just works better. I haven't tried the DVR 20 inch version, but it is has the same frame as the 16 inch version, which is too light for my taste.

robo hippy

Richard Kennedy UK
11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I have used both and would go with the 3520B it is as everyone says a lot of lathe for the money. You will find though that Nova fans will tell you to go with a nova and PM fans with PM best thing to do is go try them both yourself. When you get to the point of spending that much money on a lathe they are both good, proved by the number of folk using them. Its a personal preference If you are buying one of them then I guess you must have some experience on other machines which means you kind of know your own style and the things you liked about the lathes you have used in the past aim to go with whichever one feels the most comfortable like I say at this price you are unlikely to be disappointed with either. I went with the PM I felt the Nova was light on mass but thats just me and my preference go to your local club I bet there are folk there who own both and who will love to show you why there machine is best!

Try before you buy!

Roger Chandler
11-07-2011, 1:29 PM
I have turned on 2 different 3520b powermatics.........they are nice! I have a Grizzly G0698 18/47 which is comparable in features, has 2 hp with reverse, variable speed, and very smooth operation. I does not have the cage which most users take off anyway, and the 3520b is a bit heavier machine and has a swing of 20 inches and the G0698 has an 18 inch swing. the headstock slides to the end for different turning configurations, including outboard turning.

My G0698 has been superb to date, but the big names [Powermatic, Jet and Nova DVR, Oneway, Stubby and Robust] all have their die-hard loyalists. Me, I think the 18/47 Grizz is the most featured lathe on the market for the money............that being said...........I would love to have a Robust American Beauty..........

Just thought you should take a look if you desire to do so.................not trying to sell you on anything.........just look at all your options!

Mike Cruz
11-07-2011, 1:32 PM
I've turned on a PM3520B and it is sweet, heavy, secure, smooth...all the things you want in a lathe. I don't think you can go wrong with it...other than paying a bit more than you should have to.

mike ash
11-07-2011, 3:12 PM
I'm another PM 3520B advocate. I'd had Jet lathes previously (1236 and 1642) and loved the Jet/PM features. I wanted to be able to go large occassionally and the PM 3520B takes you to 38" swing with the bed extension and banjo entension. Like Scott, I'd recommend that you look strongly at the new anniversary edition in Black Onyx. You not only get the bed extension, but also a 9 year warrantee. Plus....I think that Black Onyx is just gorgous!!!

Luke Townsley
11-07-2011, 8:57 PM
I had a similar budget and just bought the Powermatic. My second choice was the Jet which I almost bought. I originally thought I would get the Nova DVR, but I don't like that it has a proprietary motor and electronics. I am mostly turning bowls, but may get into spindles at some point.

BILL DONAHUE
11-07-2011, 9:09 PM
I have a PM 3520B and like others, am very happy with it and will probably never want another lathe. I would strongly recommend being patient and looking for a used lathe. I got mine for $1800 and it was only 8 months old. I rented a one way U-Haul for about $75 and it was well worth the 400 mile trip. It's particulary nice knowing that if I decide to get out of woodturning and sell the lathe, I will likely make a profit on it.