PDA

View Full Version : To Autumn

Alan Trout
11-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Autumn is my favorite time of the year. I was born in autumn and as a child when autumn arrived I knew Christmas was just around the corner with all those hopes and wants for that time of year. For me this time of year has always been filled with happiness and fond memories of family and friends.

I wanted a piece that would remind me of this time of year. I still had a desire to do a little more exploration with this shape. I had done a commission piece in this shape a couple of month's back and really liked the form. With this piece I closed the opening down a little and blended a color combination that I felt represented autumn in my mind. I really like the way the green and gold resins blended/faded in the piece and the way the colors distributed in the acorn caps. I also wanted to make a bit of a surprise for those that decided to look in the vessel. I gilded the inside in 23k gold leaf. The piece is much more subdued than the typical bright colors with the sharp contrast that I make but that was the look I wanted.

The piece is a smaller piece than I typically make. I guess it is about 4.5 inches or so tall and about 4 inches in diameter. The finish is my typical gloss CA finish that I do on my smaller pieces. Of course materials are acorn caps with gold and green resins with a live oak burl rim and 23K gold leaf.

I call the piece "To Autumn" as a tribute to this time of year.

As always cheers and jeers are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Alan

Curt Fuller
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Alan, I think this is my favorite of all the acorn castings you've done. I'm one that also loves the fall and this has the colors of the early change in the box elders and cottonwoods around here. But the colors also remind me of the colors associated with your name. It looks like the flash of gold you see in the water when you have a nice little brown on the line in a clear Utah stream. That's really pretty!

David Reed
11-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Alan, this is a wonderful piece. The random distribution of the acorns make for a very interesting pattern and the blending and the choice of colors give it that fall look you were hoping to achieve. Nice use of this form and medium.

Marty Eargle
11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Very stunning and unique piece! The resin really brings the sense of Autumn to life.

Personally, I think it could have worked well without a collar or perhaps a very thin one with a more uniformed grain and color...but what you did certainly works as well!

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Alan that is a beautiful piece. It certainly has a autumn look.

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Beautiful piece Alan! I really like the colors and how they mixed, it looks like it's made of glass!

Scott Hackler
11-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Great piece Alan. I love the fall colors.

Jeff Fagen
11-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I always like your acorn forms and this one reminds me of those table candles in a dimly lit romantic restaurant.

Doug W Swanson
11-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Another amazing piece, Alan! Great job once again!

Jon McElwain
11-06-2011, 11:56 PM
I said OOhhhhhh out loud when I saw this! Love the use of materials and color.

Alan Trout
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Everyone thank you for the positive comments. I always like making these pieces. They can be a lot of work but are always worth it.

Alan

Michelle Rich
11-07-2011, 4:30 AM
it almost looks like glass with bubbles in it..wild!

David E Keller
11-07-2011, 8:34 AM
Another great piece! I love the colors and the form, and the interior gold puts it over the top! Beautiful work!

Jim Burr
11-07-2011, 9:49 AM
These always remind me of stained glass...neither are easy! Cool job!!

Baxter Smith
11-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Great work Alan! The colors are great and it sure looks like glass. Everyone of your acorn pieces is just as stunning as the first one you posted.

Alan Trout
11-07-2011, 2:55 PM
Again thanks to everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

Alan

Nate Davey
11-07-2011, 6:04 PM
Love the colors on this one Alan. Not as vivid as your blues, but very sublet and I bet it has some incredible depth in person.