PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Gloat

Dave Beauchesne
11-06-2011, 9:40 PM

Well, I don't get to post a gloat very often, but the Neander Gods were smiling on Saturday.

I attended a ' Collectibles ' sale, and there was an older gent had a table with the usual ' stuff ' ( aka junk ) on it. But alas, on the floor beside the table was an assortment of hand saws, sledge hammer and a pick. I scooped up the two saws marked at $1.00 and $2.00. There was a box of assorted other Neander items, mostly rust, but the sweet little Craftsman egg beater, as well as one each of 7/8'' and 3/4'' Snap-On cold chisels
( not in the photo ) - total ask: $7.00, quickly paid in cash.

The handsaw is a 1950's vintage Canadian made D-12 at about 12 tpi crosscut and about 22 '' long enough etch to discern a few details, the backsaw is a bit more interesting.

The medallion search says a 1896 - 1917 time line - it has a 10 inch blade and some bluing left on the spine. However, the etch states it is a Disston
' MADE EXPRESSLY FOR THE Manual Training Schools ' by Henry Disston & Sons Philadelphia. I assume it is an applewood handle, sans half of the top horn, and is stamped ' C. SCHOOLBOARD ' both sides, the blade is pretty sharp - about 15 ppi crosscut. If anyone can submit a few more details, I would appreciate it ( on the backsaw )

When I finally get back to my shop after my pesky sore back gets better, I will get into rehab and perhaps sharpening the saws, with info gleaned from SMC. Thanks again - - - - - -

Dave Beauchesne

Jim Koepke
11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Heck, I would have quickly paid $7 for that, but I might have asked if he would go for $5. :D

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
11-07-2011, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;1803190]Heck, I would have quickly paid $7 for that, but I might have asked if he would go for $5. :D

Jim:

I didn't want to push my luck - AT ALL !!

Do you have any info on the Manual Training Schools Disston saws? I found nothing on the Disstonian site -

Dave B

Chris Griggs
11-07-2011, 8:17 AM
Nice gloat - $7 well spent.

Jim Koepke
11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Do you have any info on the Manual Training Schools Disston saws? I found nothing on the Disstonian site -

Look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ads.html

I think it just opens a new can of worms.

jtk

Dan Andrews
11-07-2011, 6:06 PM
Super Gloat Dave. I can't help you with the Diston, but I can give you some info about your Craftsman drill. Your hand drill was made by Millers Falls. It is a #1 frame with a Goodell Pratt drive gear. MF bought GP in about 1920. There are a couple other versions of the MF #1 also. All versions are exceptionally smooth running little drills. Congrats.

Dave Beauchesne
11-08-2011, 7:58 AM
Thanks Dan and Jim for the info so far - I am amazed no one has info on the Manual Training Schools saw - I still plan on doing a refurbish on it - - neat piece of history to be sure -

Dave Beauchesne