PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking hinge

Ralph Boumenot
11-06-2011, 5:19 PM
As a woodworker I am in awe of what a machinist can do with metal. To that end I've been trying to find someone who can make a hinge like I have on my 4 fold 2 foot wooden rule. The hinge allows the arms to unfold 180.

I found one gent who could do it but he had a stroke and gave up on that work. I tried a bunch of machinist blog sites and never got one reply. I went to three machine shops around my house that advertised no job too small - my request qualified as the exception.

I was wondering if there is a woodworking machinist out there who can answer my question - can someone make this hinge? Or can someone point in the right direction? I would appreciate any advice, comments, etc.

thanx
ralph

Dale Cruea
11-06-2011, 5:35 PM
Got a picture Ralph.
My son-in-law likes challenging jobs in the machine shop.

A drawing would be better.

Ralph Boumenot
11-06-2011, 7:26 PM
Hi Dale,
Here's some pics. I really don't want something like this. I just want two U shaped things that are hinged. If I can figure out how to get a pic of a drawing I'll post it. For this should give you an idea of what I'm looking for.
thanx
ralph

Ralph Boumenot
11-07-2011, 7:37 PM
Hi Dale,
Here's a drawing and I don't claim to be an artist. I'm not sure of how to make the hinge or how thick the sides should be. I just need the two clams to close up against one another. I listed the only dimensions that I need. The rest of the "making" I'll leave up to you're judgement and experience.
Ralph

george wilson
11-11-2011, 9:46 PM
You could probably fabricate that whole thing. Get some brass "C" channel model airplane tubing,and a dollhouse furniture hinge to solder to it. Micro Mark sells both items.

Ralph Boumenot
11-14-2011, 1:26 PM
Thanks for the info George. I'll check it out.
ralph

Bruce Page
11-14-2011, 1:52 PM
Another possible option, if you can alter the ¼” dimension, would be to carefully modify an old ladies zippo lighter using a jewelers saw. The inside dimension of the one I have measures 3/8”.
Just a thought..

ray hampton
11-14-2011, 2:42 PM
Another possible option, if you can alter the ¼” dimension, would be to carefully modify an old ladies zippo lighter using a jewelers saw. The inside dimension of the one I have measures 3/8”.
Just a thought..

did Zippo made a old men lighter ?

Bruce Page
11-14-2011, 4:49 PM
LOL, that's not how I meant it! :o:D

ray hampton
11-14-2011, 7:07 PM
hmmmm, are someone embarrass

george wilson
11-14-2011, 9:59 PM
If you can find a small one,a cigarette lighter hinge would be MUCH,MUCH stronger than a doll house hinge. Maybe a CHILD'S Zippo ?:)