PDA

View Full Version : Stringy Maple

David Nelson1
11-06-2011, 4:55 PM
Today was my first day working with maple, well actually my second. I needed to sharpen my jointer blades before I went to much further so I bought the Deulen sharpener, more on that later. Now that I have sharpened and reinstall my knives I'm getting stringy chips and its clogging the intake on the D/C unless you feed your stock super slow and don't take more than a 1/32 cut. Anyone else seen this or have a done something wrong?

Running the the same stock through the planer is no problem because its spiral (?). My jointer is a Griz 8" four blade. Can't remember the model #.

Thanks
dave

Jerome Hanby
11-06-2011, 7:51 PM
That looks pretty much like what comes out of my Jointer or Planer with I do maple. Right now, my jointer just dumps in on the floor, but my dust deputy/crappy shop vac combo are able to keep the planer clear...

Kent A Bathurst
11-06-2011, 8:34 PM
Looks about right to me, David. Dunno the size/volume of the dust chute or your DC............In my former life in industrial wood processing, the DC was always a potential limiting factor on feed speed, and had to be balanced - you can't run wood faster than you can take away the waste - and, I'm talking 150hp ++ and 30" mains. The point being - it is what it is. If you're getting a clean surface with the newly-sharpened blades, then shuddup and machine it. :D

David Nelson1
11-06-2011, 8:44 PM
Looks about right to me, David. Dunno the size/volume of the dust chute or your DC............In my former life in industrial wood processing, the DC was always a potential limiting factor on feed speed, and had to be balanced - you can't run wood faster than you can take away the waste - and, I'm talking 150hp ++ and 30" mains. The point being - it is what it is. If you're getting a clean surface with the newly-sharpened blades, then shuddup and machine it. :D

Dude, LOL Yeah its a good clean surface. I was just wondering if my set up was wrong or was there something I could do different to avoid the strings. PITA having to go that slow or stop every few mins. and clean the thing out. Cherry did that coming off of my old straight blade planer. I don't know about the older jointer. Thanks! 150hp :eek: That's jet engine intake velocity.

Steve Kohn
11-06-2011, 9:36 PM
I have the Grizzly 12 jointer (G0609). The outlet of the planer was a right angle fitting that you hooked a 4 inch DC hose to. When I jointed anything over a 4 in wide board the outlet would clog up with shavings that looked exactly like what you showed. The solution was to take off the right angle fitting and replace it with a homemade straight fitting. Problem solved.

Rick Fisher
11-07-2011, 3:45 AM
Maple..

I have a 6" dust outlet on my jointer, connected to a 6" Flex hose .. I can normally joint eastern maple and get chips similar to those, if however I joint curly maple, it clogs my jointer .. The DC moves an incredible amount of air and normally its not a problem but curly maple.. I end up pulling balls of chips out of the inside of the jointer by hand.

George Gyulatyan
11-07-2011, 4:35 AM
Phew! Seeing that and reading other's responses I feel much better. I deal with the same exact thing when milling maple. And anything more than 1/16" (and even then!) cuts on my jointer/planer combo, I feel like I am riding a mad bull!

David Nelson1
11-07-2011, 6:32 AM
George I hear ya. I thought I had gagged something up setting my jointer back up. Since the shavings coming off the planer don't string, a Byrde head might be in order for this machine as well. I need to wear these knives down first though. LOL

David Nelson1
11-07-2011, 6:33 AM
Can someone explain why maple shreds like this? What other type woods also act this way?

Kent A Bathurst
11-07-2011, 8:57 AM
Dude, LOL Yeah its a good clean surface. I was just wondering if my set up was wrong or was there something I could do different to avoid the strings. PITA having to go that slow or stop every few mins. and clean the thing out. Cherry did that coming off of my old straight blade planer. I don't know about the older jointer. Thanks! 150hp :eek: That's jet engine intake velocity.

Those were the smallish ones - I kid you not. One system design and install that I oversaw [at a very high level] had a pair of 250's with some 50 boosters in key locations, and 2 stations each with side-by-side 48' open-top trailers for loading the waste streams - one system for dust, one for shavings [the market premium for shavings made it worthwhile to install two systems to keep the dust separated]. There was ZERO tolerance for turning off the system while trailers were swapped - less than 15 minutes internal surge capacity, and then the plant had to shut down. And then, of course, the separate system for hogging blocks and loading that stream. Two commas in the price tag.........the lead digit was a 1, but the rest were bigger than 1.

David Nelson1
11-07-2011, 9:05 AM
I would love to see that system or better yet have the money it took.:D