PDA

View Full Version : CBN hones

Reed Gray
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
In the thread about gouges a few days back, I made a comment about CBN hones that D Way has and said that they do 'not' carry them. I didn't catch my error till it was pointed out to me. They do 'now' carry them. I have an old set of the DMT bench stones, which barely cut after 15 or more years, and there is no way to clean them. I have 2 of them (320 on one side, and 600 on the other, 2 X 6 inches) am now trying these out to see if they are like the D Way CBN wheels, which to date have softened a bit, but show no loading up at all. Will report more later.

Only association with D Way is as a satisfied customer.

robo hippy

Toney Robertson
11-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I just purchased one so I will also see how they work.

David E Keller
11-06-2011, 3:36 PM
I almost pulled the trigger on one of these when I got my wheel, but I've got a diamond hone that still has some life left in it... I'll be watching for your report!

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2011, 5:31 PM
Will be interested in what you think Reed. My Lacer one is about done for.

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2011, 5:38 PM
Never used a hone before... so will be interested in seeing how you like it!

Reed Gray
11-06-2011, 7:47 PM
Main hone use for me is to hone off the old burr on my scrapers before grinding a new one on.

What is a skew good for? You stick it in a post and hang rolls of tape on it, from Steve Woods, an old hang gliding buddy and turner friend of mine. Actually I do use them, some times.

robo hippy

Joshua Dinerstein
11-30-2011, 8:36 PM
... am now trying these out to see if they are like the D Way CBN wheels, which to date have softened a bit, but show no loading up at all. Will report more later. ...

What do you mean the CBN wheels have softened a bit? I was just watching the video on the D-Way site after reading a comment on here and I find myself kind of interested in the wheels.

Thanks Reed!

Joshua

John Keeton
11-30-2011, 8:43 PM
Joshua, you would really enjoy the CBN wheel! To the touch, the surface does seem to be a little less "rough", but I can tell no difference in the cut of the wheel. While at AAW in St. Paul, I spent a good bit of time talking with Dave about his tools, and the CBN wheel. He had been using the one he had there for quite a while, and sharpening hundreds of tools with it. It cut just like mine did new. The 180 grit will remove metal quicker than your 100 grit AO wheel, but leave a much better edge. And, they don't heat up the tool so you don't have to be careful about touching the end of the gouge.

Reed Gray
12-01-2011, 1:05 AM
By softening up a bit, I meant they break in a bit. When I first got them, the surface wasn't very shiny compared to my matrix style CBN wheels, which are 80 and 150 grit. Now, after several hundred sharpenings, they leave a nice polished surface. They really do take off a lot of steel quickly. You just brush the wheel with the tool.

The hones work very well. The problem I have is with my wet wood, it does tend to clog up the surface, especially with Madrone which has some sticky water/sap stuff that comes out. Trip to the kitchen sink, and a plastic scrub brush, and it works fine. I have tried honing the edges of my gouges, and tried raising some burrs on my scrapers. Only down side is the noise, kind of like dragging a concrete nail across some bar stock. If they were on paddles like the smaller DMT hones, it wouldn't be a problem. I still have a lot of experimenting. I will be turning some rolling pins in the next two days and will be using it on my skews.

robo hippy

Nathan Hawkes
12-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Reed do you use them on a high or low speed grinders

Reed Gray
12-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I use slow speed, but they are rated for high speed. I started with the no name one from Woodcraft and eventually got a Baldor. Worth every penny.

robo hippy

Dan Forman
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
I have them on my low speed grinder, which is what Dave Scweitzer (DWay) recommends. They will work fine on high speed, but take off even more metal, so high speed is overkill. If all you have is high speed, just go real easy on tool pressure and don't linger.

Dan