PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Drum or Wide Belt sander cutting board flattening

Kurt Cady
11-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Anyone in Atlanta have or know of a place that has a drum or wide belt sander? I am building, or have built 5 cutting boards as gifts and with the crazy day job these days time is running out quickly. I will gladly pay for the time on the machine. Also, if anyone has a super fast way to flatten them, that would be great too. I have a LV low angle block still in the box, an old belt sander, and the typical ROS. Thanks in advance!

Kent A Bathurst
11-06-2011, 7:26 AM
No help on the big gear, Kurt. I have always used a belt sander with a careful touch and a deep breath...................If it just needs a slight touch-up, then I have also used the ROS, taking the time to start very coarse and work my way up the scale.

Mark Ashmeade
11-06-2011, 8:56 AM
Kurt,

I'm up the road from you in Kennesaw. I have a JET 22-44ODS still in the boxes in my garage. Help me move it to the basement, and set it up, and we can have a play with your cutting boards :)

PM me if interested. It will have to be next weekend, as I'm out of town all week.

Mark

Kurt Cady
11-06-2011, 9:14 AM
Mark, I'd be more than willing to help and meet a Creeker in my area. Next weekend, however, is my sister's wedding (one of the gift recipients). Let me know if another time you need some muscle.

Mark Ashmeade
11-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Kurt, are these Christmas presents, or do you need them earlier (i.e. sister's wedding?)

Gene Howe
11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
While finding a wide belt sander may be the quickest way, for now, to get your boards flat, Here are a couple other methods using a router. Once you make the jigs, they, or it, will always be there for you in the future.

Jig 1

J (http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/23799-beginners-guide-making-router-skis.html)ig2 (http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/23960-planing-jig-sled.html#post207073)

Kent A Bathurst
11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Kurt, are these Christmas presents.........

And if so, Christmas of which year? :D

Mike Johnson
11-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I live about 50 miles east of Atlanta in Greensboro, GA and I have a 38" Woodmaster drum sander that could flatten those boards with ease. If you want to make a short road trip, you are welcome to use it - no charges. You can contact me at mjjohnson@hughes.net or 706-454-0581.

Mike

Kurt Cady
11-06-2011, 2:14 PM
And if so, Christmas of which year? :D Funny you should mention it Kent. These are all wedding presents along with a nice knife. My sister's wedding is next weekend. The other weddings were May '11, July '11, and June '10. :o :)

Kurt Cady
11-06-2011, 2:16 PM
Kurt, are these Christmas presents, or do you need them earlier (i.e. sister's wedding?) Earlier than Xmas, but I'm still able to bring some muscle a bit north if you need help and I'm available.

Kurt Cady
11-06-2011, 2:21 PM
I live about 50 miles east of Atlanta in Greensboro, GA and I have a 38" Woodmaster drum sander that could flatten those boards with ease. If you want to make a short road trip, you are welcome to use it - no charges. You can contact me at mjjohnson@hughes.net or 706-454-0581.MikeThanks, Mike. I may give you a call later today! It's about 90mi from my office in Sandy Springs to Greensboro. Anyone have any other ideas, or closer to ATL?Thanks everyone!!

Rick Fisher
11-07-2011, 3:55 AM
I would call up a millwork shop or a Cabinet shop in your area and see if they will help..

Bill White
11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
When I lived in Alpharetta, there was a cabinet shop in town. Kris Kroh (or Krough can't remember). Might wanna look 'em up.
Bill