PDA

View Full Version : Marking Gauge Question

Stan Smith
04-21-2003, 10:25 PM
I have a couple of marking gauges but I'm not totally happy with either one of them. I modified one of the wooden type so that I could put a pencil in the hole in place of the spike. Does anyone know if a marking gauge is made for a pencil? If so, do you know where I might purchase one? Thanks.

Stan

Tony Sade
04-22-2003, 9:26 AM
Stan-Have you thought of using one of Incra's T-Rules? I use one of their 3 inch rules and find it a great substitute for a marking gauge. The rule (which comes in sizes up to 12 or 18 inches, I think, is really a t-square with small holes in 1/64 inch increments along the rule. You insert a 5mm pencil in a hole, run the "t" against the edge of your stock, and get a pencil line to work off of. This is one of the most frequently used tools in my shop, for marking and general measuring duties, especially checking stock width while planing. Woodpeckers, among others, stocks these. HTH, Tony

Tom Gattiker
04-22-2003, 9:38 AM
Seems like I have seen these at the big boxes. You can make your own. I use a good quality (flat) 3/4 ply for the fence. Make a 3/4 x 3/4 hole for the stick. Drill a hole in the stick for a pencil. USe a threaded insert and a thumbscrew to stop the stick in the fence. For a pencil you need a lot of fence (say 1-3/4") below the stick because at about an inch of pencil is going to protrude

Stan Smith
04-22-2003, 9:51 PM
Tony, that's an interesting idea. I'll keep my eyes open for the inca t-rule as I browse the catalogs.

Tom what you describe is what I am using now. I didn't make it, but it's the same as what you describe.

Again, thanks.