PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Evolution

Scott Hackler
11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Here is the latest palm sized HF with my developing, new style of finial. I ditched the long neck and mirrored the angle onto the base of the finial. The finial was changed by lowering the middle bulb and going even thinner, in between. This piece of wood was challenging to work, because it was end grain tear out crazy. I managed to get 99% of the outside sanded out but the inside isn't great.

Spalted Silver Maple with African Blackwood

3 1/4" wide x 6 1/4" tall. Hollowed to a bit over 3/16" thick, by hand, through a 5/8" hole.

Comments are always welcome. Thanks!

David Warkentin
11-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Beautiful, I really like it!

Bill Noce
11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
i like it,very nice!

John Keeton
11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Now, that is dramatic!! Much, much better, Scott. Love the spalted maple - the blackwood really accents it well.

Roger Chandler
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Fine work Scott............nice form and the wood is pretty............your finial on this one is better I think..........and I think you got the thin thing down pretty well! ;)

Alan Trout
11-05-2011, 10:42 PM
That is much better flow between the vessel and the finial. Well done.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Beautiful Scott. Now I like that.

Rick Markham
11-05-2011, 10:56 PM
It's gorgeous Scott! This one is stunning!

Baxter Smith
11-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Great job Scott! The flow between form and finial is a lot smoother and the finial itself looks great!

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2011, 1:44 AM
Beautiful Scott! The ebony finial looks great with the spalted maple, excellent job on the finial and the transition!

Norm Zax
11-06-2011, 3:06 AM
Liking that syringe. Good job!

Michelle Rich
11-06-2011, 6:04 AM
pretty wood..very pleasing little vessel.

Scott Hackler
11-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was very concerned while turning the finial, that the angle of the finial wouldn't match the angle of the HF. Apparently I have enough muscle memory (at least right then) to get it pretty darn close. I am going to experiment with a way to attach the finial to the form and turn the "base" of it while mated with the HF. I believe a "too long" finial tenon would work so I could "re-chuck" it in a pin jaw set. Only I don't own a set of pin jaws..... so maybe I should buy some! (and maybe a chuck specifically for them..... :) ).

Anyway, I think it would be a lot easier to form the base of the finial this way. Once the base is shaped I would turn the rest the normal way.

What do you think about that idea?

Bill Bolen
11-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Really pretty piece Scott. Love the finial. Is the tip of the finial tapered? Can't get quite close enough to tell.

Marc Himes
11-06-2011, 1:19 PM
Great looking hollow form and the finial is amazing. Although my own preference would be for a shorter finial, this piece is distinctive and different because of the length and thinness you have achieved. Very well done.

Lionel Mercier
11-06-2011, 3:59 PM
Hi Scott;
beautiful wood, beautiful shape, but also very beautiful finial
If I understand correctly, you have not turned the HF and lid simultaneously (thus it's difficult to find
continuity)
But here all is well aligned :)
As you said it's possible to leave stuff sufficient in order to finish the finial after, with the support of
string steady (same way as a trembleur)

David DeCristoforo
11-06-2011, 4:05 PM
This is really going somewhere! The finial is vastly improved. I do have one question though. With the fairly large collar, why the need to hollow through a 5/8" hole?

Russell Eaton
11-06-2011, 4:19 PM
Scott of the three that you have posted I like the "flow" of this one the best. The neck to finial transition is the main improvement that I see. The bulb on the finial looks good as well. Great job.

Scott Hackler
11-06-2011, 4:31 PM
Thanks everyone. David, the lip on top of the finial tenon is only 1/32" so any less and it would fall through the 5/8" hole. I will be moving toward a 1/2" hole and so the finial base can sit, recessed, into the top of the form.For those interested, I just slapped the digital calipers on the thinnest part of the finial. Its 3/64".

Jim Burr
11-06-2011, 4:35 PM
Now that works!!! My only question is a long flat spot between the shoulder and mouth...that gradient background plays tricks on my eyes!

David DeCristoforo
11-06-2011, 5:52 PM
"...lip on top of the finial tenon is only 1/32" so any less and it would fall through the 5/8" hole..."

I knew that...

This is a great illustration of the illusion created by photos. You did give the dimensions but, even so, I did not picture it that small!

steven carter
11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
The progression has been fun to watch, lowering the "bulb" really makes it work IMO.

Mike Cruz
11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Scott, I really like it. I do have a question, though... Is it just my computer screen, or does the tip of the finial bend over?

Scott Hackler
11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Scott, I really like it. I do have a question, though... Is it just my computer screen, or does the tip of the finial bend over?

Sort of, Mike. I turn a taper on the tip of the finial and sand off the part I dont want and then shape the edges of the tip with some 400 grit to smooth out the curvature. I purposely turned it this direction for the photo to show the side profile of the tip. Thanks

Luke Townsley
11-07-2011, 9:07 PM
Beautiful project. I'm wondering what it would look like with a long neck growing out of the maple lid (say maybe 1/2" to 3/4" high leading into the finial or with a flatter lid with the same shoulders on the lid, but with the inner 1/3 to 1/2 much flatter.

charlie knighton
11-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Scott, very nice, you have definitly improved from your first hf, you are on the right track, just keep repeating, continous curve

the finial is good and yours. its fine and will get a lot of attention