PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Curly Maple on West Virginia Walnut

Baxter Smith
11-05-2011, 9:55 PM
Back before John became rich and famous, (from his woodturning endeavors at least:)), he sent me a box of Kentucky hardwoods.
One of the pieces was an 8” disc of curly maple. I thought if I ever had some walnut that was more than 2” thick, it would make a pretty lid.
At Ken Hill’s woodcutting party in West Virginia last November, I found that walnut. It had been dragged out of the woods from some far hilltop where it had apparently lain for several years. Most of the bark was gone and it had some checks and bug holes, but if you picked around the cracks, the wood was solid. This closed bowl was one of the roughouts from last November. The knob was a leftover piece from that same tree. No more curly maple for the knob though.

My daughter asked me what she was “supposed to put in it, baked beans?” What do you think?:)

She may have been born in Delaware but she must be a Maine girl at heart. So if the shoe fits……:D

John and Ken, thanks for some pretty wood! Sorry it met such an inglorious end!

Walnut and Curly Maple Bean Pot

8” x 5 ˝” x 3/16”

Wet sanded with Tung Oil Sealer then finished with 4 coats of Polymerized Tung Oil.

David E Keller
11-05-2011, 9:58 PM
Pretty stuff, Baxter! Baked beans sound like a good idea!

Greg Just
11-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Very nice Baxter. I'm glad you posted these pictures as I was turning a walnut bowl tonight and this gives me a great idea to make a lid for it. Unfortunately I don't have any pretty curly maple like you used.

Roger Chandler
11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I like that one, Baxter.........I think you did both Kentucky and WVa. proud! Very nice transition from form to lid......almost seamless appearance. Good work!

John Keeton
11-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Baxter, that is perfect!!! I have a sketch that I want to do, and this is so very close - and, I was going to use the same combo! Guess I will have to tweak it some so I won't infringe on your design. Walnut and curly maple were created to go together.

Excellent piece, and the walnut knob works perfectly - much better than a maple one.

David Warkentin
11-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Inglorious end? That ain't no inglorious end! And I agree with Mr. Keeton on the knob. Walnut looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2011, 10:55 PM
That is a beauty Baxter. I don't see a problem with baked beans.:D

Scott Hackler
11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Baxter, now that is a pretty pot! Very well done and the contrasting woods look great.

Baxter Smith
11-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the positive thoughts. Its hard to go wrong with those two woods!

Baxter, that is perfect!!! I have a sketch that I want to do, and this is so very close - and, I was going to use the same combo! Guess I will have to tweak it some so I won't infringe on your design. Walnut and curly maple were created to go together.

Excellent piece, and the walnut knob works perfectly - much better than a maple one.

Thanks for a neat piece of wood John! There is no such thing as infringing on anything I come up with! Go with whatever you had in mind! I had planned on using walnut for the knob but would have inlaid a small piece of the curly in the top of it.

Joe Watson
11-06-2011, 12:39 AM
That came out nice.
Really like how you did the lid; recessed in for a clean look, looks great.

_

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2011, 1:52 AM
Beautiful lidded bowl Baxter! I think it would be much more useful filled with M&Ms instead of beans :D and with the lid, no one would know they were there!

Michelle Rich
11-06-2011, 6:15 AM
inglorious, sure. nice color combo and bean pots were family heirlooms...very necessary as cooking was not allowed on the sabbath, & one had to eat, so the long cooking from the day before, got folks a hot meal!

Russell Eaton
11-06-2011, 8:38 AM
Baxter I like the whole thing, but then again I think I have liked every piece that you have posted. Another job well done, and the Walnut knob is a very nice touch.

Baxter Smith
11-06-2011, 5:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback!:)

..... bean pots were family heirlooms...
Thats probably true Michele. My mothers bean pot does hold a lot of memories. Beans on Saturday night were the one meal you always could count on.

I think it would be much more useful filled with M&Ms instead of beans :D ....
Quite true Kathy. Bug holes and bean juice wouldn't make a good combo. Even if the molasses was pretty thick.:)

David DeCristoforo
11-06-2011, 5:49 PM
Beans? Baked beans??? I don't think so! I have come up with a "use" for pieces that might otherwise have none other than being something nice to look at. I write "affirmations", brief positive thoughts, on a small piece of paper. Then I roll it up into a small scroll, tie it with a ribbon and drop it into the vessel. OK... I can hear the "California fruitcake" comments already. But it's as good as anything else I have heard! Now, having blathered all of that, I would not imagine anyone having difficulty finding a use for this beautiful "box". It is elegantly understated. But not to put baked beans in!!!

Roland Martin
11-06-2011, 9:09 PM
That's a great looking bean pot, Baxter, everything about this is spot on.

Curt Fuller
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Baxter, that's way too pretty to be slopping baked beans in it. Unless you're talking about Boston Baked Beans, the candy. That's a beautiful little pot and the wood combo is great!

Mike Cruz
11-07-2011, 7:42 AM
Very nice, Baxter. With such a large opening, it is actually quite utilitarian. I like it.

Thom Sturgill
11-07-2011, 9:29 AM
Beautiful! I just came from three sessions with Mike Mahoney and two with Richard Raffan at the NC Symposium. (MM considers RR his mentor on bowls). While definitely NOT a production turner (I don't sell) I agree with the sentiment about turning heirlooms - I expect my ornaments to be hung on trees and my bowls and the occasional pen to be used. Yes, I do some 'shelf pieces', but I think there is a special fulfillment when I create a useful item and it gets used not just admired.

Again, great job as usual Baxter.

Tim Rinehart
11-07-2011, 9:50 AM
Beans, shmeans...that's a very nice piece Baxter. I like the way it all fits together and the little message inside is a great touch for those special family and friends who receive them.
Excellent piece that should be an heirloom for Tyler and his family (as they unfold) for many years to come.

Baxter Smith
11-07-2011, 1:44 PM
....... I write "affirmations", brief positive thoughts, on a small piece of paper. Then I roll it up into a small scroll, tie it with a ribbon and drop it into the vessel. OK... I can hear the "California fruitcake" comments already.........
Thanks for the "affirmations" David. Thats not too fruity an idea!:)

..... Unless you're talking about Boston Baked Beans, the candy....
Never heard of them Curt. Guess I am not from Boston or maybe they only get sold in Utah. ;):)

.......I just came from three sessions with Mike Mahoney ....... I agree with the sentiment about turning heirlooms - I expect my ornaments to be hung on trees and my bowls and the occasional pen to be used. Yes, I do some 'shelf pieces', but I think there is a special fulfillment when I create a useful item and it gets used not just admired.......
Well stated Thom. Have never seen Mike Mahoney in person but based on comments I heard hear, I did pick up his "Heirlooms" DVD a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes I make things that are pretty(hopefully), sometimes useful(hopefully), but the ones that I enjoy the most are when I can try and combine the two.

..... should be an heirloom for Tyler and his family (as they unfold) for many years to come.

Thanks Tim. My daughter Tyler,;) was just kidding about the baked beans. Probably was the two tone look or the knob that was just a little too big.:) Maybe it will someday go with the walnut bedroom suite she has been telling me I am going to make for her. :rolleyes::)

As always, I appreciate hearing your thoughts!

Sean Hughto
11-07-2011, 2:08 PM
MMMMMmmmmm, maple walnut, my favorite ise cream!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3519/3836794652_ec37bd73dc.jpg

Excellent piece, Baxter! Top notch in every way.

Harvey Ghesser
11-07-2011, 6:56 PM
Beautiful indeed!

David Reed
11-07-2011, 7:11 PM
Baxter, this is indeed a lovely and very elegant lidded bowl. I am firmly in the 'no beans' camp, but whatever its use, you did a fine job with it. The transition of the lid to bowl is nearly invisible (in pics), except for the obvious color change. I would be concerned that the slightest change in shape would cause the lid to bind. Tell me it isn't so.

Baxter Smith
11-08-2011, 12:09 AM
MMMMMmmmmm, maple walnut, my favorite ise cream!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3519/3836794652_ec37bd73dc.jpg

Excellent piece, Baxter! Top notch in every way.
Thanks Sean. Great looking cone. I have enjoyed more than a few bowls of that flavor myself!

Beautiful indeed!
Thanks Harvey.

Baxter, this is indeed a lovely and very elegant lidded bowl. I am firmly in the 'no beans' camp, but whatever its use, you did a fine job with it. The transition of the lid to bowl is nearly invisible (in pics), except for the obvious color change. I would be concerned that the slightest change in shape would cause the lid to bind. Tell me it isn't so.
David, I can tell you anything you want:), but so far so good. I used a revolving chuck adaptor with the lid inserted into the bowl to get the smooth transition. If you spin the lid in the bowl, there is one spot there is a little friction now(so something has moved) but not enough to move/lift the bowl when you lift the lid. Whether that will change is a wait and see situation. I could sand the edge of the lid if I need to. One of the reasons I decided on an oil finish.