PDA

View Full Version : First Rough Out on New Lathe

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2011, 9:31 PM
Received my new base for my hollowing system this week from Monster Tools (Thanks Randy!) and finally got a chance to rough something out on my new lathe.

This is a chunk of White Birch, approximately 17" in diameter by 14" high and was turned endgrain. I did put some CA in the pith located in the tenon and will have to keep my fingers crossed that it all holds together!

212087 212088 212089 212090 212091

It is presently soaking in denatured alcohol (DNA) and hope to finish turn it some time this spring.

Thanks for looking!

Greg Just
11-05-2011, 9:52 PM
That's a fine looking machine Steve. Can't wait to see the final product. How thick did you leave the walls?

Bill Bulloch
11-05-2011, 9:57 PM
Ain't that Beauty a beauty? I though you were going to turn something big ... I know you didn't have any problems mounting that little log -- Did you?

Pete Jordan
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
It is almost surreal!

I might have to leave the lower peninsula.

Roger Chandler
11-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Steve,

I am liking that bowl steady you have there! That is an interesting design! Looks well thought out and specifically for the Robust lathe.............may I ask where you got the idea? Yours or did Robust or someone else give you a picture or drawing?

Either way, that is really ingenious!

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Greg - walls are right at 1" thick. Should be more than enough to true the form when I finish it.

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Roger - just one of those things that you come up with when you know you need a steady-rest and only have so much material to work with. The rest actually worked quite well and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised!

Doug W Swanson
11-05-2011, 10:35 PM
So, Steve: How many people did it take to get that piece of wood up there?

Looks good. Some day I will be able to turn something of that size. For now, I'm stuck turning little stuff on my Jet 1236!

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Steve that is a great looking lathe and the HF is going to be a good one once finished.

Scott Hackler
11-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Looking good Steve! Before you know it you'll be turning Joe sized vases! :)

Sid Matheny
11-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Great start on the Beauty Steve and I too like the steady and glad to hear it worked well. May have to borrow that design.

Sid

Baxter Smith
11-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Quite the chunk of wood Steve! I would love to come up with a piece of spalted birch that size! I have had good luck with the pith in the spalted birch I have turned endgrain but this may be tougher.

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2011, 2:02 AM
Looking good Steve! Look forward to seeing that one complete!

Fred Belknap
11-06-2011, 7:34 AM
Nice job Steve. I like how you have set up your beauty. The steady rest is a great idea that I may have to steal. I see you have a reference to the Talon jaws on the wall, good idea I may have steal that also as I am always going back to the manual to get right size on a tenon or mortise. Dig all those shavings.:D

Norm Zax
11-06-2011, 8:05 AM
Nice to see shavings on that carpet! Is that healthy chunk really held up only by a few screws and a wood faceplate?

Russell Eaton
11-06-2011, 8:29 AM
Looks like you are giving it a good workout. Cant wait to see the piece when you finish it.

Jerry Marcantel
11-06-2011, 9:21 AM
Steve, I actually noticed that you were using a Chuck plate before I noticed how large that log was. Just how much do you think it weighed before you turned the tenon? You're doing a great job as you usually do. Looking forward to the finished peice.....
Is that carpet on your floor? If it is, then you must have some carefully hidden secret for keeping it clean as wood dust should eventually build up no matter how clean you keep it. Also, that's the same pattern that was in the second floor of my house when I bought it in '91 ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2011, 9:49 AM
Jerry - I remember the wood being more awkward than extremely heavy but it was a challenge to get centered with one arm holding the weight and the other tightening the chuck! Best guess if that the blank weighed somewhere around 60 to 70 pounds. I used a rubber mallet to secure your chuck-plate to the blank and after turning the tenon, I needed a screwdriver to remove it! Felt very secure but I also turned this at a fairly low speed.

Yup - beautiful carpet, eh? Only thing I do to keep it clean is sweep up the loose shavings and then vacuum. Has held up during 7 years of heavy use! Not the prettiest stuff I have ever seen but is sure is a lot more comfortable to stand on than bare concrete!

Nate Davey
11-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Wow, way to go big Steve. That is going to be a great form. Can't wait to see it done.

Alan Trout
11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Steve,

That's awesome. Question how deep of a vessel do you think you can do on that lathe without the bed extension?

Alan

Ron Bontz
11-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Well now I can be jealous on 3 counts. Your lathe, your Monster, and your talent. Oh woe is me.:D

Bill Bolen
11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Scott took the words right out of my mouth! So have you been in contact with Joe yet about building one of his huge boring bars? Looks like the chuck plate may have saved the day getting that monster mounted too. Congrats on a monster piece. I'm looking forward to the finished piece.

Marc Himes
11-06-2011, 1:30 PM
Looks like the start of a new chapter in your turnings; larger pieces to allow us to see your wonderful work with color and form even better than we have in the past. Add me to the "like your steady design" list. I am glad you have that new base, as I am sure it was frustrating to have that great lathe and not be able to turn your favorite pieces. Is hollow form withdrawl painful?

Robert Henrickson
11-06-2011, 2:22 PM
Nice steady. And the vessel shape looks familiar -- like the third millennium BC pottery I did my dissertation on.

Jim Burr
11-06-2011, 4:38 PM
Holy guacamole!! What a monster! So how was it to turn on your new "Investment"?

Baxter Smith
11-06-2011, 4:53 PM
As I was studying these pictures again Steve, I paid more atttention to your shelf that holds the tray of "parts". Neat idea and in a convenient position to select from. How is the shelf attached to the lathe or is it attached to the steady? Thanks.

Allan Ferguson
11-06-2011, 5:03 PM
I to like the looks of that steady rest. Have fun with that great looking lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2011, 5:12 PM
Alan - not real sure but I would think that maybe a max of 18 to 20" before I ran out of space. That is plenty big enough for me!!

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2011, 5:13 PM
Baxter - PM sent.

David DeCristoforo
11-06-2011, 5:18 PM
Glad to see you finally getting that hideous carpet covered with a nice layer of shavings! That machine looks right at home. Great looking piece so far. It's fun to see these on the lathe because it conveys a sense of scale that you often miss looking at a shot of the finished piece.

Mark Hubl
11-06-2011, 9:06 PM
Steve,

Nice turning, but that lathe looks almost too purdy to use!!! Congrats, nice to see it getting a work out.

Paul Heely
11-06-2011, 9:08 PM
Nice to see the new machine getting a workout. Nice looking turning too.

Rick Markham
11-06-2011, 9:50 PM
I'm taking notes... now that's how you break a new lathe in! :) I'm with David, the carpet looks much better now! That's going to be a cool piece

Rob Cunningham
11-07-2011, 1:19 PM
Glad to see you breaking in the new Beauty. Nice looking form and I like the 2 wheel steady rest.

Roland Martin
11-07-2011, 8:22 PM
Wow, the "Beauty" opens up whole new experiences for you Steve. That's quite a hunk of wood, thanks for sharing the maiden voyage with us!

Dick Mahany
11-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Man is THAT cool or what ?? What fun.