PDA

View Full Version : Oneway 2436 owners and users??????

joel nucifore
11-05-2011, 5:49 PM
Question 1) building my shed / studio 16 x 24 want to beef up were the feet sit on the floor...
running 2 x 8 floor joists with 1/2 pt ply then 3/ 4 t & g on top of that.. What I need to know is the spacing on the feet width and distance between I am running elec under the floor were should I come out???

Question 2) for outboard turning what is a good distance from the wall????

THANK YOU FOR YOU TIME
JOEL

Jon McElwain
11-06-2011, 12:29 AM
The main feet are 55 inches center to center, and 5 feet out to out - overall length. For turning outboard, there are three options, the 17" (I think) outboard extension, the short outboard extension and the large outboard extension. I have the large and it adds an additional 37" to the overall length. I would recommend a MINIMUM of 36" of clear walking room beyond the outboard end of the lathe. Also, for the outboard end of the lathe, I stand on the back side of the lathe, so it needs to be probably 3-4 feet away from a wall. Mine has about 5 feet clearance from the end of the lathe, and about 6 feet behind the lathe.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions - I love that lathe!!

Joe Watson
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Using glue along with what ever fasteners you use (screws or nails) to attach the 1/2 PT to the joist will help out in the long run.

joel nucifore
11-06-2011, 2:01 AM
Jon I can't thank you enough. As soon as wife wakes up plan on starting the floor..

Joe I am ALL set still have my riged cordless caulk gun ready to go, from when I was a builder.

Michelle Rich
11-06-2011, 6:09 AM
I realize it is just a shed, but 2x8 joists?? I would be leery that overtime I'd be adding tools & wood, and such & blow past the weight limit of 2x8's..But then again, I always overbuild...

joel nucifore
11-06-2011, 7:17 AM
I feel its as strong as needed, I doubled up on every 4' and triple up on were I am puting lathe. And plus inch and a quater floor is pretty strong.....

Nathan Hawkes
11-06-2011, 1:16 PM
First off, I'm not a Oneway owner. I have a Powermatic 3520, and a similar shop/shed. However, I found it necessary to pour a slab under the floor where the lathe is. I'm glad I did, as I could still make the machine dance after all amount of leveling and adding ballast to the lathe. I turn a fair number of large out of balance natural edge pieces, and ended up bolting the lathe to the slab. I can still get vibrations, but nothing like what was going on before. I realize the Oneway is a fabricated steel machine, and not cast iron, therefore flexing less, but the one time I was fortunate to turn on a 24/36, I was definitely able to create vibrations. That shop was a continuous slab floor. I think if you turn large pieces, the harmonic vibrations are going to shake your shed dramatically. Its not the weight of the lathe that would worry me-- 1 1/4" is pretty thick for certain, but the induced vibrations in the building are transmitted pretty darn well through wood. I'm sure if you were a builder though then you know your stuff. Vibration sucks though, and I wish I'd made a bigger slab so I could have it farther from the wall, and bolted it down to begin with.