PDA

View Full Version : How I Mounted the Oneida

Mark Duksta
03-03-2005, 3:37 PM
The first phase of the DC installation is complete. I was concerned about the noise propagation through vibration to outside of the shop so I mounted the cyclone on rubber mounts. I used rubber hose in the bolt holes, and rubber washers to hold the 2x4s off of the wall. The shop walls are double sheet rocked and the stud faces were lined with rubber. I hope the neighbors appreciate this.

Mark

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2005, 3:50 PM
Thanks for that idea Mark.

Have you fired it up yet? Just wondering if the mount will still be solid enough.

I may use that depending on whether I mount mine to the garage or to the shed wall I'll be building to house it.

Mark Duksta
03-03-2005, 3:59 PM
Yes. I fired it up. I don't want to run it too long without the ductwork. I don't want to burn the motor up. I put my hand up to the inlet and scared myself. It really sucks.

Mark

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 6:07 PM
I put my hand up to the inlet and scared myself. It really sucks.
You still have a hand on that arm??? ;)

Seriously, that's a super way to mount the system. Sturdy but with sound isolation. The hose, etc., is a great idea!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-03-2005, 6:14 PM
That looks like a wonderful idea! I am thinking of re-mounting my DC and will have to take this idea into account. I want to raise my DC up, to fit a separator under it. Anyway, thanks for posting!!

Boyd Gathwright
03-03-2005, 6:49 PM
Hello Mark,

.... Like your approach, using the rubber hose that is. What rubber did you use under the washers? I somewhat forget at the moment but years ago we used a layer of film to dampen vibration. I am sure with the way things are today there are other better materials available.

....Very innovative ;).

Boyd

The first phase of the DC installation is complete. I was concerned about the noise propagation through vibration to outside of the shop so I mounted the cyclone on rubber mounts. I used rubber hose in the bolt holes, and rubber washers to hold the 2x4s off of the wall. The shop walls are double sheet rocked and the stud faces were lined with rubber. I hope the neighbors appreciate this.

Mark

Mark Duksta
03-03-2005, 8:14 PM
Boyd,

The rubber washers are cut from a radiator hose. I also got the rubber hose for the bolt holes at the auto parts store. It was a bear getting the hose in the holes. I had to enlarge the holes with a round file, and then I used some dish soap on the rubber to help get them in there. I didn't put washers between the blower housing and the bracket, but that might help some too. Every little bit helps.

Mark

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 8:54 PM
Since I built my own wall bracket for the DC, I also added my own flair. I cut some 1" diameter by 1/2" thick rubber washers. I placed the rubber washers between the cyclone and the wall bracket so the cyclone unit would sit on the washers. Simple vibration isolation mounts. I don't know if it helps any, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I really need to replace the standard nuts with some nylock nuts so I can soften the mount slightly.

John P. Smith
03-05-2005, 1:38 AM
Some great ideas for using readily available materials to suit your needs. I like nothing better than using an item for something other than what it was made for, especially when it saves money. Some call it misuse, in the Army we called it “Field Expediency”.

Having said all that, this will sound like I am a hypocrite. But for those among us who would rather buy than build… http://www.knchomeshop.com (http://www.knchomeshop.com/) has a good selection of rubber mounts for woodworking machines. Not an endorsement as I have never ordered from them, just passing it on FWIW.

Marc Hills
03-05-2005, 9:08 AM
Please! Between Tom Russo's recent cocobola warning and the title of this thread, I'm beginning to wonder what kind of internet site this is! ;)

To paraphrase Janeane Garofalo, "It's okay to love our tools, just not *love* our tools, ok?"

John Scarpa
03-05-2005, 3:49 PM
Mark,

Great design. Well thought out. I think I'll borrow some of that!

John