PDA

View Full Version : Leading cause of spilled gasoline

John Coloccia
11-05-2011, 4:58 PM
10 years ago, it was the couple of drops that sometimes spilled when I removed the filler from my car's tank. Today, the leading cause for me is EASILY the new anti-spill gas cans. Between the awkward positions it requires and the malfunctions where the sliding part gets stuck, I easily spill far mire today than I ever had. More importantly, I spill at more dangerous times, i.e. when refueling. Finally, it takes MUCH longer to fill anything than it ever did in the past. Am I the only one that sees these monstrosities as a complete failure right across the board??I need to find some old fashioned gas cans. These things are just not safe.

Gene Howe
11-05-2011, 5:34 PM
Can't tell from your post which type of can you have. However, it probably makes no difference as every one of them have devices that confound and irritate me. I finally bit the bullet and bought two 5 gal."Jerry" cans that had some sort of contraption that was supposed to be anti spill and anti fume. I trashed them and replaced them with screw in flexible nozzles.
works for me.

Leo Graywacz
11-05-2011, 6:10 PM
I just take the whole top off and use a funnel. The little 1/4" hole they give you to let the gas drizzle out of the can is ridiculous.

David Dockstader
11-05-2011, 6:50 PM
I'm on my 3rd can. The nozzles keep refusing to open up. One more effort to make things so idiot-proof that only an idiot would try to use it.

David Weaver
11-05-2011, 7:06 PM
That's funny, i just had the same thought tonight, as I spilled a bunch of gas. Before these cans, we had (when I was a kid) the old bent spout type with an airhole on the back. It would pour clean and constant and I never spilled anything out of it. If I got a couple of drops outside the lid on the riding mower's tank, I felt that was a failed mission.

Now, I live on a lot less land and buy a 5 gallon can a year (used to use that much every two weeks). But I either have to pour it into a smaller can or directly into the push mower, and each time I use the stupid thing in the mower, it catches on the bottom of the tank when I go to pull it out and the stuff splashes out everywhere. The small can doesn't have enough weight to use it, it can't open the mechanism and just slides across the floor.

If it isn't broken....

John Coloccia
11-05-2011, 7:20 PM
I'm feeding 10 gallons into my borrowed generator every day. I swear I've spilt at least a gallon over the generator so far. Thank God I haven't hit the muffler yet. The funnel idea makes a lot of sense. I think I will start doing that. Doing it the right way is just way too dangerous!

Brian Loucks
11-05-2011, 7:30 PM
John,
Are you still without power? I live near Hudson NY. Alot of people were out for a few days after last week's snow.

Ole Anderson
11-05-2011, 7:32 PM
I'm sure someone thinks they are far safer. Probably the same guy that recommended that you carry no more than one 5 gallon can in your vehicle at a time. Like it makes a difference if you ignite 5 or 20 gallons in your car, you are still a crispy critter. And how much greater are your chances of getting rear ended catastrophically if you have to make 4 trips instead of 1 to get that 20 gallons to fill your toys? Sorry to digress...

Leo Graywacz
11-05-2011, 7:42 PM
I'm feeding 10 gallons into my borrowed generator every day. I swear I've spilt at least a gallon over the generator so far. Thank God I haven't hit the muffler yet. The funnel idea makes a lot of sense. I think I will start doing that. Doing it the right way is just way too dangerous!

I know how you feel. I just got my power back 41 minutes ago. 7 days and 2 hours without grid power. 1 day without any power.

John Coloccia
11-05-2011, 7:43 PM
John,Are you still without power? I live near Hudson NY. Alot of people were out for a few days after last week's snow.Yes. The lines to my house are live but tangled up in trees. I can't turn on my mains because I go from brownout to surges, no doubt because the connection is bad somewhere and arcing. It took out two surge protectors, some electronic gear, and a bunch of light bulbs. The line is literally tied to a tree with twine (to get it out of the road) and resting precariously on a small bent over tree. The tree bent during the storm, and then the line fell on top. Now the tree and line are in an uneasy equibrium. If the tree falls or breaks the line will be in my yard. I've called a number of times to complain about the dangerous situation with no response. I've asked that they at least come disconnect me before this thing us back in the street, live this time, but CL&P is too concerned with their restoration numbers to bother with safety. If thus thing falls and hurts someone, I think there will be hell to pay as I've been making them aware if the situation from day one and they knowingly energized damaged lines. I think there will be hell to pay regardless, actually. The whole situation with CL&P's territory is reminiscent of living in a third world country.

John Coloccia
11-05-2011, 7:45 PM
Sorry for the lack of paragraphs. For some reason all of my formatting disappears when I post from my iPhone.

John Coloccia
11-05-2011, 7:48 PM
Btw, over a week later we still have 155,000+ customers out.

Brian Loucks
11-05-2011, 7:50 PM
I feel for you, having been in the same situation several times over the years. Just stay safe until the power is back, then let er rip!

Bruce Darrow
11-05-2011, 8:52 PM
+1 on hating the new gas cans. The one I'm currently using is the previous generation - just "self venting". It is bad enough. The newer ones with those plastic and spring loaded widgets are a nightmare!

My sympathy on your power problems. We went through much the same after Irene a while back. Our power company actually did phenomenally well - phone company (and thus internet) was another story.

The good (?) news is that I have actually been promised a DSL line in the near future! I signed a contract wherein they guaranteed broadband within 90 days, or I would start getting free months for every month beyond that 90 days they were tardy. It has been 8 years now in dial-up hell, and I will believe it when I see it......plus their DSL service has been less than excellent, according to various internet posts. It is my only option for at least another year, though, until the little local phone company comes out with a new wireless option. I've watched a whole generation of internet technology go right on by - I'm so far behind the eight ball that I wonder if I'll ever catch up!

Mike Henderson
11-05-2011, 8:58 PM
You guys need to lobby for underground utilities. I heard some electrical commentator say that your part of the country has a third world electrical distribution network, especially considering the weather you routinely have. I'd think it would be worth paying a bit more in taxes (or electricity cost) to get reliable service.

Mike

Leo Graywacz
11-05-2011, 9:00 PM
CT already pays one of the highest rates in the country for our third world electrical system. I really don't need to pay more in electrical costs and my taxes are high enough thank you.

John Shuk
11-05-2011, 10:58 PM
It is also cost prohibitive. It is pretty rocky terrain throughout much of this area and Ct. I was without power for 6 days. I was lucky enough to find a good hotel room nearby.

John Coloccia
11-05-2011, 11:30 PM
The main problem is we have 300 line crews where we used to have nearly 1000 before CL&P bought everything up and fired all of them. It took until Weds to get 900 crews working. The first several days were spent with a couple hundred crews "assesing" damage. 20 years ago, we would have hit the ground running and would have been back up and running in a few days.

I'd love to see buried power lines, and while they are at it they could run fiber, natural gas, water and sewer too. It's expensive, but maintaining a well and septic are expensive too. They don't last forever abd I'm not looking forward to a $15,000 leech field or $10,000 well (mine is 500' down through mostly solid ledge). But I'm also not looking forward to any more rate hikes or taxes as we are already paying some of the highest rates as it is, and don't really get much for it. As my business grows my wife and I have talked about simply leaving CT instead of investing to grow it here.

Interesting that I'm not the only one that thinks it's like A third world power grid. LOL.

Anyhow, I funneled it tonight. That's the ticket right there. Easy and fast. I'm thinking of running out to buy a bunch of tunnels tomorrow so I'll have them for when we transition to spill proof funnels. Lesson learned.

Matt Meiser
11-05-2011, 11:47 PM
My favorite part of the new cans is how they are totally sealed. So you open them in warm weather, then in cold weather they collapse when the vapors inside contract. Then I run the can under hot water, wasting natural gas to expand ther vapor, which rushes out anyway when I open the can, defeating the purpose of the sealed can. Plus they are junk and the spouts fall apart. I think my next can is going to be one of the heavy metal ones Lowes sells.

David G Baker
11-06-2011, 12:08 AM
I still have the old cans and will not buy the new ones unless forced to do so. I use a funnel every time I fill my equipment.

Dave Lehnert
11-06-2011, 1:06 AM
My favorite part of the new cans is how they are totally sealed. So you open them in warm weather, then in cold weather they collapse when the vapors inside contract. Then I run the can under hot water, wasting natural gas to expand ther vapor, which rushes out anyway when I open the can, defeating the purpose of the sealed can. Plus they are junk and the spouts fall apart. I think my next can is going to be one of the heavy metal ones Lowes sells.

1+. One is on my list for next spring.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzU0kQmPw6s_zs2BoQQKUAiUCAGIwhN 4Oy5o6Z9arxS7T0_bJ8Ww

Rick Potter
11-06-2011, 1:14 AM
Easy answer,

Just check out garage sales, and stock up on old ones like I did. Got three for less than $5.

Rick Potter

Rich Engelhardt
11-06-2011, 7:30 AM
In my magic crystal ball - I see a similar debacle w/table saws and mandatory brakes.

Mike Cutler
11-06-2011, 7:47 AM
The can in Dave's post is a great one. The newer plastic ones, uhhh............ they suck, literally and don't work.

John
For the record, CL&P didn't actually buy anything. CL&P had been the T&D component of Northeast Utilities prior to deregualtion in 2001. Nothing changed except that NU was forced to get out of the generation side of business.
Also for the record, We've been paying back a 1+ billion dollar stranded assests fee for the last 10 years to NU/CL&P, and they've had rate increases to offset a multi billion dollar "Liines Upgrade" project. So we, the rate payers, have been paying on multi billion dollar loans to NU/CL&P for a decade.
The question someone needs to ask Jeff Butler is: Where has all the power been going for the last week?, and how much have you made transmitting it out of state?

I hope you got your power restored by now, or soon. Mine was out for 9 days in Irene, and luckily we didn't lose it this go round.

Mike
It's not quite "third world", we do supply some o the largest population densities in the world, outside of Tokyo, with electricity. It's really a matter of the beauty of Connecticut's countryside is inconsistent with so many above ground lines. There are a lot of trees in CT.
It can be made better, and has in the past been a very reliable infrastructure, it just takes a commitment.

Myk Rian
11-06-2011, 8:32 AM
In my magic crystal ball - I see a similar debacle w/table saws and mandatory brakes.
Don't even go there.

Jerome Hanby
11-06-2011, 8:43 AM
I have an older model of this one (http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5-Gallon-Poly-Compliant/dp/B000W9JN4S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) (or at least that style). It's the best gas can I've ever owned, I never spill a drop.

Larry Edgerton
11-06-2011, 8:45 AM
I recently ran out of gas on the expressway, walked to a gas station, bought a can and gas, and returned to the truck. I stood there for a few minutes waiting for some gas to come out of that stupid spout. Meanwhile as there was a guardrail where i stopped semi's are running two feet behind me at speed. I gave up and grabbed a ryoba saw out of the back and cut the neck off of the spout, poked a hole in the can for venting with a jack knife, and filled the tank. The cost of the can was not worth standing there with semis running a couple of feet from me.

I use a big funnel when filling the tractor too, Takes about ten minutes to empty 5 gallons with the spout, about thirty seconds with it off. Now I got in the habit of throwing the tractor on the trailor and driving it to the station. That way I can run it through tha car wash at the same time.

A couple of sources of good cans. I bought a few in Canada that still work and cans made for racing are expensive but will actually pour.

Larry

Rich Engelhardt
11-06-2011, 9:37 AM
Don't even go there.
Myk,
I guess you're right..

I'm just cranky - as usual -because of my "four flush" water saver.

Now I see that yet one more thing in my future is going to make me miserable - - when it comes time to replace my ancient 5 gal gas can.

Thank God I'm old and going to die soon....

Myk Rian
11-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Myk,
I guess you're right..

I'm just cranky - as usual -because of my "four flush" water saver..
Number 1 - Regular flush
Number 2 - Hold the handle down
;)

I just filled my gas can this morning. Was cold, so of course I couldn't open it.
Frickin Government.

Still have a steel 5 gal. to use when I throw this one out.

Tim Morton
11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
here's a solution...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1XIzpx9hs

Bryan Morgan
11-06-2011, 4:17 PM
10 years ago, it was the couple of drops that sometimes spilled when I removed the filler from my car's tank. Today, the leading cause for me is EASILY the new anti-spill gas cans. Between the awkward positions it requires and the malfunctions where the sliding part gets stuck, I easily spill far mire today than I ever had. More importantly, I spill at more dangerous times, i.e. when refueling. Finally, it takes MUCH longer to fill anything than it ever did in the past. Am I the only one that sees these monstrosities as a complete failure right across the board??I need to find some old fashioned gas cans. These things are just not safe.

Don't get me started on this... We've had to use these for years here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. Best I can figure, the manufacturer is buddy buddy with the government. If you can't sell your junk, no problem just get a law passed to make it mandatory and make up some lies about it being "safer" or "green". Maybe the oil companies are in on it too seeing how more fuel winds up on the ground than in the tank causing you to have to purchase more... I have to get my family to smuggle me in some proper fuel spouts and Danish Oil. I'm a hardcore criminal. :)

ray hampton
11-06-2011, 9:04 PM
the gasoline will flow better when the can are vented
I do not have any trouble with pouring gas into my lawn tractor but maybe this is because the gas can are from 1994

Lee Ludden
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I use 5 gal jerry cans for fuel storage. Since they only have a single opening, even using a spout is slow, and the wide mouth makes it difficult for all but the largest funnels. So I picked up one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Seven-Safety-Siphon-Priming/dp/B000BG1X54)(a few actually, one is dedicated to each type of fluid I use it for). Works quick, no spillage.

David Weaver
11-07-2011, 11:10 AM
the gasoline will flow better when the can are vented
I do not have any trouble with pouring gas into my lawn tractor but maybe this is because the gas can are from 1994

You're in for a rotten experience if you go to buy new ones at some point later. Might be better off buying a couple of old metal cans at a flea market if you break the ones you have.

ray hampton
11-07-2011, 1:00 PM
I think that this can was to replace a leaky can , can not say that this can were new when I bought it, I got a brand new can in my truck never been use and I wonder how it will handle the pouring of the gas

Brian Elfert
11-07-2011, 7:13 PM
I bet the manufacturers would rather be free to make gas cans that people like than be hamstrung by these government regulations. Sales of gas cans would likely increase if the old fashioned vented ones could still be sold. Right now folks are holding onto old gas cans or scrounging for used ones instead of buying new ones.

I have one gas can that is missing the cap for the vent. It sounds like I am better off just using what I have instead of buying a new can.

Kevin W Johnson
11-08-2011, 2:15 PM
I still have two 5gal gas cans that have the vent on them. I treat like gold and guard them as such.

Kevin W Johnson
11-08-2011, 3:22 PM
Myk,
I guess you're right..

I'm just cranky - as usual -because of my "four flush" water saver.

Now I see that yet one more thing in my future is going to make me miserable - - when it comes time to replace my ancient 5 gal gas can.

Thank God I'm old and going to die soon....

All toilets are not created equal. This is where buying a more expensive/performance toilet really pays. Large flush valves and large trapways are two key elements.

Brian Elfert
11-08-2011, 5:16 PM
All toilets are not created equal. This is where buying a more expensive/performance toilet really pays. Large flush valves and large trapways are two key elements.

I have Kohler low water usage toilets in my house. They work great. I have never had to flush more than once and they don't clog either. The model I have in my house cost around $125 or so. Not bottom of the barrel, but not expensive either.

David Weaver
11-08-2011, 6:14 PM
I bet the manufacturers would rather be free to make gas cans that people like than be hamstrung by these government regulations. Sales of gas cans would likely increase if the old fashioned vented ones could still be sold. Right now folks are holding onto old gas cans or scrounging for used ones instead of buying new ones.

I'm sure they have estimates on what it will do to their can sales. My old can (which my dad uses now) is still going strong. When I moved out here, I had to buy another one, and I'm sure the leakproof device that's on mine is probably not CARB compliant, but it is an unvented can and it is a pain in the rear, and the mechanism on it is broken, so it catches and spills some every time I use it. Probably 1 in 10 times does it not spill something.

Most people would replace it. That's a sale to the gas can folks, regardless of how it originates. I continue to use it out of spite. I don't believe our woes as a society are going to be solved by spilling or not spilling an ounce or two of gas per year, when in the third world, all manner of things are being spewed into the air, and things like washing of used electronics and heavy metals is done in rivers and open space.

But, anyway, I'm sure the can maker's know what it will do for their sales, and I'd imagine they expect an increase and may not mind.

How much would a can cost, anyway, without the stupid apparatus on the front of it? $15 for a 5 gallon can? These stupid carb compliant cans are like $35.

Kevin W Johnson
11-08-2011, 7:57 PM
I have Kohler low water usage toilets in my house. They work great. I have never had to flush more than once and they don't clog either. The model I have in my house cost around $125 or so. Not bottom of the barrel, but not expensive either.

My point exactly, $125 is more expensive than the $49 cheapy at Lowes.

John Coloccia
11-08-2011, 8:57 PM
Oh heavens, I hope we never get anti-spill safety toilets...

Rich Engelhardt
11-09-2011, 7:38 AM
All toilets are not created equal. This is where buying a more expensive/performance toilet really pays.
Our "four flush wonder" is a Kohler San Raphael....
Define "more expensive".

FWIW - IMHO - I consider the over $800 we paid for the stupid thing to be on the "expensive" side.

Anyhow - this really isn't about toilets....so ...I won't comment on them anymore.

It's just that when I see some new gadgetry that's become a mandatory requirment because someone feels something is too scary or too wasteful or too whatever, the "new and improved" version is usually an unworkable kludge.
I'm going to go out in the tool shed and give my 26 year old gas can a big hug... ;).

Kevin W Johnson
11-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Our "four flush wonder" is a Kohler San Raphael....
Define "more expensive".

FWIW - IMHO - I consider the over $800 we paid for the stupid thing to be on the "expensive" side.

Anyhow - this really isn't about toilets....so ...I won't comment on them anymore.

It's just that when I see some new gadgetry that's become a mandatory requirment because someone feels something is too scary or too wasteful or too whatever, the "new and improved" version is usually an unworkable kludge.
I'm going to go out in the tool shed and give my 26 year old gas can a big hug... ;).

An oddity indeed. It makes me wonder if there is some defect or misadjustment.

I whole heartedly agree about the mandatory new gadgetry. As it does seem like 99% of the time, it makes a product worse. The market drives innovation, the gov't drives knee-jerk stupidity and the gas can debacle is but a prime example.

John, has your grid power come back yet? Mine was only off 10 hours, and that was bad enough. Though we were trapped in our subdivision for part of that time as the power line was down across the only way in and out. They finally just put up cones and let people drive across it. Least you have a generator, but 10 gallons a day isn't cheap.

John Coloccia
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
An oddity indeed. It makes me wonder if there is some defect or misadjustment.

I whole heartedly agree about the mandatory new gadgetry. As it does seem like 99% of the time, it makes a product worse. The market drives innovation, the gov't drives knee-jerk stupidity and the gas can debacle is but a prime example.

John, has your grid power come back yet? Mine was only off 10 hours, and that was bad enough. Though we were trapped in our subdivision for part of that time as the power line was down across the only way in and out. They finally just put up cones and let people drive across it. Least you have a generator, but 10 gallons a day isn't cheap.

I think it came back Sunday morning if I remember right. Actually, it came back last Weds or Thurs sometime....they reconnected my neutral and untangled my wires Sunday morning :)

Kevin W Johnson
11-09-2011, 1:03 PM
Sounds rather reckless to energize lines while they are still tangled up......

Don Orr
11-09-2011, 3:29 PM
John and others,

Check out No-Spill gas cans. They work great. I have 2 and love them. Even more than my old metal ones. Best fuel containers I have ever used. On is on & off is off. Self stopping too. Flexible extensions are available and work well. I have turned several friends on to them and they love them too.

http://www.nospill.com/

John Coloccia
11-10-2011, 2:08 PM
Amazingly enough, the power just went out AGAIN. Of course...it's raining a little bit...why not? This has gotten ridiculous and makes me wonder (among scores of other things) why on Earth I decided to start a business here. What a mistake....hopefully one I will fix in the coming years.

Peter Stahl
11-10-2011, 6:44 PM
Amazingly enough, the power just went out AGAIN. Of course...it's raining a little bit...why not? This has gotten ridiculous and makes me wonder (among scores of other things) why on Earth I decided to start a business here. What a mistake....hopefully one I will fix in the coming years.

John, What type of business are you in?

John Coloccia
11-10-2011, 7:14 PM
I build guitars. Occasionally I even almost sell one. LOL. I'm keeping it very small and very low key until I have a good, local base. I have enough casual interest to stay busy for a little while, and that's what I want right now.

Jeff Nicol
11-10-2011, 8:25 PM
It is like everything that has been regulated by the government, someone at one time or another did something stupid and a high priced lawyer got wind of it and got a big lawsuit against a munufacturer of gas cans. Then the gub'mint got involved and decided what was best for everyone because of some knucklehead! I think I have 5 bigger cans that are 5 or 6 gallons, some are older but they get used a lot and have traveled to Canada and out west etc and the nozzles get broken or wear out or I have had one chewed up by a bear. I also had a one gallon for chain saw mix that some litle tooth critter decided to chew in half! Can't figure that one out, but who knows what lurks in the minds of rodents!

So now I make replacement filler nozzles myself with a piece of hose or what I have handy if I break one. I did make one out of a piece of flexible blue plastic conduit that worked well. With a little thought and some rubber gaskets or "O" rings you can get things to work the way you want.

Good luck and we are still free, but for how much longer.................

Jeff

Paul Saffold
11-11-2011, 6:31 AM
Thanks Don, those look much better than the crap I have now. I loaned my last good one to someone who ran out of gas. He liked it so much he kept on going with it...

John Coloccia
11-11-2011, 7:15 AM
FWIW:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10102.html

If you have older no-spill cans, there is a recall on them because they can leak around screw on collar. I think it's fixed now, though.

Matt Meiser
11-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I saw those at my John Deere dealer. Pricey, but not as much so as the metal ones. How long to they last?

Andrew Pitonyak
11-11-2011, 1:14 PM
I believe that the new cans are not allowed to leak fumes. It seems that as things heat up, the cans do not vent, so they expand. There are now numerous reports of what I like to call "premature can failure" because the can expands and contracts. I saw many reviews for one of these cans where multiple people were complaining about cracked spouts because of this. If you do not vent the can before using, you may propel the gas out of the can under pressure. Giving how much some of my plastic cans deformed, I was actually afraid that one might burst and spew gas all over everything.

My favorite gas can is an older model that does not do this. I will admit, however, that I have a metal five gallon can that I like very well, and I am not afraid that it will burst.

Matt Meiser
11-20-2011, 7:27 PM
Do the No Spill cans collapse in the cold? My Blitz can collapsed to where the corners have creases. I like the idea of the No Spill design but the can still seems thin. I had one in my hands at the hardware store today but put it back pending further research.

I sent Blitz an email about how bad their cans are and got a response that it's the EPAs fault and their cans meet all applicable standards. They said it would return to normal at room temperature. I responded back that I didn't realize they needed to be stored at room temperature so I've moved it to my basement. :rolleyes:

Brian Elfert
11-20-2011, 7:42 PM
I was at the hardware store yesterday and saw a display on those No-Spill gasoline cans. The thing I noticed is that they seem to be really expensive, but I haven't bought a gas can in at least 10 years. They were like $20 for the 2.5 gallon version which is cheaper than CARB cans if they really $35 each.

The hardware store I was at tends to be super expensive on everything except power equipment so I wouldn't doubt these gas cans are less expensive elsewhere.

Matt Meiser
11-20-2011, 7:44 PM
The 1.25 was $18.00.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-20-2011, 8:31 PM
Oh my, it had not occurred to me that the cans may the collapse when it is cold out. I have not yet seen this, but at the moment, my cans are totally full so that may help a bit.

At the end of the day, if it causes a problem, may need to drill a very small hole to allow pressure to equalize; or just replace them all with very heavy metal cans.

ray hampton
11-20-2011, 9:05 PM
the metal cans at H F were selling at thirty nine dollars plus, a metal can will also collapse to some degree in cold weather unless the air pressure are the same inside of the can and outside of the can so leave the cap loose after you empty all of the fuel out of the can, if you try to pour gasoline out of the new cans and wear gloves " good luck with the handle "

alex grams
11-21-2011, 11:09 AM
this is the can we have, and it absolutely drives me crazy. I spill more now than ever. I miss the old metal flexible neck style gas cans with a passion. I never spilled more than 1-2 drops with those, but these news one constantly get stuck open/don't open/the spring sticks, or the spring is too strong and cracks the plastic..etc.

http://www.qubetv.tv/photos/46432/GasCan_Full.jpg?1209926169

ray hampton
11-21-2011, 4:25 PM
will the spout from one can fit another can ? the can that I bought are similar to this can but the spout got a on/off handle

Matt Meiser
05-02-2012, 8:21 AM
Back about the time of this thread I picked up one of the 1.25gal No-Spill cans but didn't fill it until early spring. It seems to be a decent system. My first spout leaked gas when I shook to mix the 2-cycle oil but No-Spill quickly sent another. Turned out that I just didn't have it tight enough though-really need to crank them down. The No-Spill system works OK, but not great. On my blower which has a pretty big tank it seemed to work right. On my string trimmer which has a tiny tank, if I put the spout in far enough for it to work, the tank is maybe half full. But at least the spout is easy to use other than the tightening issue. Most importantly, the cans seem to be thick enough to not collapse on itself when the temperature changes--and we've had some big swings this spring. My John Deere/Stihl/Husqvarna dealer stocks replacement spouts as does Amazon. Spouts are similar in price to replacing an entire big box store gas can.

I like it well enough that I bought another 1.25 gal one for the non-2cycle oil for the chipper and pressure washer, and then bought a 5 gallon one yesterday with my zero turn.

I also looked at the metal cans sold at Lowes. They look difficult to fill at the pump--I think my wife would have trouble holding the lid open--and the funnel is hard to get on and off and I think it will break quickly. On the other hand they seem more stable due to their shape.

Kathy Marshall
05-03-2012, 2:27 AM
I believe that the new cans are not allowed to leak fumes. It seems that as things heat up, the cans do not vent, so they expand. There are now numerous reports of what I like to call "premature can failure" because the can expands and contracts. I saw many reviews for one of these cans where multiple people were complaining about cracked spouts because of this. If you do not vent the can before using, you may propel the gas out of the can under pressure. Giving how much some of my plastic cans deformed, I was actually afraid that one might burst and spew gas all over everything.

My favorite gas can is an older model that does not do this. I will admit, however, that I have a metal five gallon can that I like very well, and I am not afraid that it will burst.
After a little incident with my new 1.25 gal no spill can, I now leave the lid loose, except to pour.
I have a couple other older cans that I don't have any problems with, but my chainsaw was running poorly and I wanted to get some fresh gasoline to see if that would help. I stopped at the big box store on my way home from work to get a new can. I live 25 miles from the nearest gas station, so I wasn't going to drive all the way home to get one of my old cans, then turn around and go all the way back to the station.
I can verify that the no spill cans absolutely do not vent. I went to fill my chainsaw one afternoon (it was a warm day), put the spout in the gas tank, pulled back the release mechanism, and gas exploded everywhere! The gas shot out of the spout under so much pressure that it hit the bottom of the gas tank on the chainsaw and shot out of the opening directly onto my face and arms. My face and head were drenched along with my arms and my shorts were soaked. I immediately went to the hose to flush it out of my eyes, but I can say gas in your eyes stings!
So now I never store it with the lid screwed on tight, so much for reducing vapors. The day was warm, but not hot, I live in the Phoenix area and in the dead of summer I can imagine the pressure building enough to explode the container.

Matt Meiser
05-03-2012, 6:50 AM
At least one can I looked at specifically said to release the pressure with the can sitting flat to prevent that. That way the vapors can come out without having to push out liquid first.

Curt Harms
05-03-2012, 7:37 AM
I just bought a new blitz 5 gal. can. Yeah, the spout is the EPA's dream/my nightmare. I wonder if some quality time with a 1/2" drill bit is in order .........

Peter Stahl
05-03-2012, 7:49 AM
There are a bunch of youtube videos about adding a vent with people either using a valve with out the schrader valve in it. Looks really easy to do, one guy even did it with the gas in it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Leo Graywacz
05-03-2012, 7:58 AM
They don't want them to vent, that is the idea. But of course they don't think of the consequences of a sealed system. Must have something to do with the gov.

Charles Wiggins
05-03-2012, 9:52 AM
I have that problem with my 5-gallon (http://www.lowes.com/pd_90258-1362-80033_0__?productId=3126289) can that I bought either from the Blue BORG or Wally-World. My 2-gallon that I have for 2-cycle mix is great however. They are the same style, but I think the larger one is just that much more awkward. You really need three hands unless it's almost empty. It's difficult to depress the valve AND hold both handles at the same time. I usually don't get more that 3 gallons at a time for that very reason. And it's difficult to poor gently with it. Between the angle of the spout and the momentum of the gas it is almost impossible to pour into my lawn mower without some splashing back up off the rim of the fill.

Matt Meiser
05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
There are a bunch of youtube videos about adding a vent with people either using a valve with out the schrader valve in it. Looks really easy to do, one guy even did it with the gas in it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hmm...that's REAL tempting.

Peter Stahl
05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Hmm...that's REAL tempting. Shouldn't hurt anything unless you leave the cap off. Would sure beat getting gas in your face huh. Did you notice how many doomsday preppers there were adding vents to their gas cans? I'm still using a couple old ones I have but when I upgrade I will probably vent them.

ray hampton
05-03-2012, 3:02 PM
Kathy, I had the same problem with my can and almost post a WARNING about it here , it could save you you from the burning eyes, if I drill a vent hole ? where on the can?

Peter Stahl
05-03-2012, 3:05 PM
Go on Youtube and type gas can vent or no spill gas can and you should get several videos on the subject.

David Weaver
05-03-2012, 4:10 PM
this is the can we have, and it absolutely drives me crazy. I spill more now than ever. I miss the old metal flexible neck style gas cans with a passion. I never spilled more than 1-2 drops with those, but these news one constantly get stuck open/don't open/the spring sticks, or the spring is too strong and cracks the plastic..etc.

http://www.qubetv.tv/photos/46432/GasCan_Full.jpg?1209926169

That's the design I have, too, and I hate it.

I can either put that hog to my push mower.

Or try to put gas in a 1.25 gallon can with it (which will never open the spring when it's empty).

I prided myself on the old eagle can with the rubber hose that I could spll *no* gasoline, and all it had in it was a tiny screen in the end of the tip, with a plug, that was just enough to vent pressure.

The end of my can is now damaged somehow and even if it weren't, by the time the spring goes on that can, it's coming out like niagara falls, and I either stop way short on the mower or let it run over the sides.

Chris Padilla
05-03-2012, 4:28 PM
John and others,

Check out No-Spill gas cans. They work great. I have 2 and love them. Even more than my old metal ones. Best fuel containers I have ever used. On is on & off is off. Self stopping too. Flexible extensions are available and work well. I have turned several friends on to them and they love them too.

http://www.nospill.com/

Well, I'll remember No Spill Jill for sure! ;)

Peter Stahl
05-03-2012, 4:31 PM
Well, I'll remember No Spill Jill for sure! ;)
Yes, she has a nice smile.:)

Andrew Pitonyak
05-03-2012, 7:25 PM
Drilling a small hole somewhere before the seal will allow pressure the equalize I expect, have not tried it.

ray hampton
05-03-2012, 7:37 PM
Drilling a small hole somewhere before the seal will allow pressure the equalize I expect, have not tried it.

I remove the spout that came on the can to see if another spout would fit BUT DID NOT SEE IF IT WILL LEAK, will try the leak- problem later with water after I use the gasoline that are in the can

ray hampton
07-02-2012, 1:10 AM
due to the heat wave, fires are breaking out everywhere in KY but parking a pickup in a field with a gas can in the truck bed are ASKING for trouble, the can explode and cause a wildfire, I believe about 7 acres burnt

Chris Barnett
07-02-2012, 7:49 PM
Amazing!
I refused to purchase those gasoline cans for the same reasons and agree 100%...they are dangerous. Where is Ralph Nader when you [don't...and never did and never will] need him ...oops...he probably is responsible for the existance of the new safe gasoline dispensers anyway:mad:

Mike Cruz
07-03-2012, 5:00 PM
John, I'm late to the party, here (nothing unusual there...), but I'm with ya, my man! I've hated those things (every KIND of them) since they came out.

But a second close to the leading cause of spilled gas is the idiot that fuels up before you that doesn't let the nossle drain! It is NO fun when you take the nossle out at the station and you get covered in diesel fuel. Happened to me the other day and I was furious. LUCKILY, I wasn't wearing anything "nice", but I still had to leave the clothes outside for a week before the smell was out of them so I could put them through the wash. I had a bunch of choice names and words for that AMBULANCE DRIVER that left the nossle full!

ray hampton
07-03-2012, 7:43 PM
John, I'm late to the party, here (nothing unusual there...), but I'm with ya, my man! I've hated those things (every KIND of them) since they came out.

But a second close to the leading cause of spilled gas is the idiot that fuels up before you that doesn't let the nossle drain! It is NO fun when you take the nossle out at the station and you get covered in diesel fuel. Happened to me the other day and I was furious. LUCKILY, I wasn't wearing anything "nice", but I still had to leave the clothes outside for a week before the smell was out of them so I could put them through the wash. I had a bunch of choice names and words for that AMBULANCE DRIVER that left the nossle full!

Mike, diesel fuel are good for a bad case of smelly feet[ no pun intended ]

Jerome Stanek
07-04-2012, 6:55 AM
Drunk skipper