PDA

View Full Version : Fellow woodworker Andy Rooney dies at 92

Bruce Page
11-05-2011, 1:40 PM
I always liked Andy Rooney. I remember seeing a TV segment on his Neander shop. He was making some really nice chairs.

RIP

Kent A Bathurst
11-05-2011, 2:03 PM
+1

Mr Rooney was a one-of-a-kind iconic figure.

If you did not know, the New York Times obit writers are in a class by themselves - I read them for all types of people - big, small, famous, and unknown. It is like reading a short essay on history.

Today's NYT obit for Mr Rooney: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/us/andy-rooney-mainstay-on-60-minutes-dead-at-92.html?hp

Paul McGaha
11-05-2011, 3:15 PM
I liked him a lot.

PHM

Rich Engelhardt
11-05-2011, 4:38 PM
My wife just told me Mickey Rooney had died...

Mark Engel
11-05-2011, 6:19 PM
My wife just told me Mickey Rooney had died...

That particular Mr. Rooney is still kicking around.

Rich Engelhardt
11-06-2011, 6:57 AM
That particular Mr. Rooney is still kicking around.
Yep - like I told my wife,,,,"OMG, we killed of poor Mickey again!".

It's kind of an inside family joke.

It was about 15 years ago, my wife, and I and her parents were having a heated discussion about what Mickey Rooney died in.
We all had egg on our face when we found out he was (& still is! ) alive.

Brian Tymchak
11-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I always liked Andy Rooney. I remember seeing a TV segment on his Neander shop. He was making some really nice chairs.

RIP

I always wondered if he was a woodworker. That crotch walnut slab desk in his office is beautiful.

Mike Archambeau
11-09-2011, 8:12 AM
I always wondered if he was a woodworker. That crotch walnut slab desk in his office is beautiful.

Yes he made that desk himself from a tree that had grown in his front yard. I wonder what will become of that desk. I believe CBS plans to leave his office unoccupied as a sort of shrine to the great one. But the family may want that heirloom desk............

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
His humor always made me laugh. Often it was laced with a slice of irony that made me laugh and ponder.