PDA

View Full Version : Cutting ceramic tile

Donnie Raines
03-03-2005, 3:02 PM
I need to make 4 straight cuts on some 12x12 tiles. Short of renting a wet saw for just 4 cuts, are there any other option for me? These will be along the bottom of my fireplace(external use!!) not on the "inside" of the fireplace.

Thanks!

Arnie Grammon
03-03-2005, 3:13 PM
Donnie

I bought some c. tile from home depot and they cut it to the sizes I wanted. It cost me 25 cents a cut......not too bad, really.

Arnie

Donnie Raines
03-03-2005, 3:16 PM
Donnie

I bought some c. tile from home depot and they cut it to the sizes I wanted. It cost me 25 cents a cut......not too bad, really.

Arnie

I never even thought of that......!....I will need to look into that for sure. :rolleyes: :)

Jeff Sudmeier
03-03-2005, 6:12 PM
Donnie,

Most local lumber yards that rent the wet saws will let you use the saw their, if you buy the tile there. I have done this in the past, for only a few pieces.

John Pollman
03-04-2005, 4:31 PM
I'm with Arnie on this one. Most Home Depot/ Lowes will cut tile for you for a minimal charge.

Or if you want to make a road trip, bring it up to me. I've got two wet saws. I'll do it for you for free. :)

Donnie Raines
03-04-2005, 4:39 PM
Well...here it is. I bought the stones from Home Depot....none of their local stores cut tiles. Lowes will not cut them becuase I did not purchase them there......I guess I am off to the rental place.

Thanks for the advice gents.

John Pollman
03-04-2005, 5:47 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that HD doesn't cut them. The stores in my area do. I'm also surprised that Lowes won't cut them just because you didn't buy them there. If you're paying them to cut the tile, why should they care WHERE you bought them ? I can't stand Lowes and only use them when I absolutely have to. If it's only four tiles, it's gonna be pretty expensive to rent a saw. Get out the yellow pages and look up "Tile- Ceramic" or something like that. Find a local tile retailer and call them. Heck, even if they charged you $2.00 per cut it would be cheaper than renting a saw for just four cuts.

Good luck !

John

Hank Walczak
03-04-2005, 6:53 PM
I've cut tile with a masonary blade in a Circular Saw. clamped it between a couple of boards to use as a guide and made a couple of passes. Kept the vac close to keep dust to a minimum. Worked for me...