PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Lettering from webstores?

Steve Griffin
11-04-2011, 9:07 PM
I'd like to put my company name and contact info on the side of a new white delivery trailer. A google search found many online vinyl companies and it looks really easy to design and order lettering.

Anyone have any experiences with a specific web store? How's the quality of the product? Does it fall off in a year, or last a lifetime? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Tim Morton
11-04-2011, 9:41 PM
Most vinyl is designed to last a minimum of 3 years....and a maximum of 12 ( that i know of). And putting it down yourself should be fairly easy. Tons of videos out there on YouTube to show you how. Just check on the website for what type of vinyl they use, if in doubt ask. You want to see words like , cast, premium, and high performance. If you don't see those works i would keep shopping. Calendered vinyl is not a good choice for vehicle graphics...it tends to shrink and peel. I run a signshop here in Vermont..so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Dale Cruea
11-04-2011, 10:23 PM
There is a sign shop in a town next to here that sells magnetic graphics. My sister uses it on her truck. Been on there 2 or 3 years and still looks good. She says that it does not come off in the car was. You can take it off to wash under it, move it around if you want to change it. Don't know about the cost.
Don't know what it is made of.

Joe Pelonio
11-05-2011, 9:49 AM
I moved this to the sign section where it will get more attention. As mentioned use only cast (premium, high performance) vinyl on vehicles. With proper preparation it should last 8-10 years depending on the climate, most is guaranteed 8 years.
Calendered (intermediate) will shrink after 1-2 years leaving adhesive around the edges to attract dirt and outline the letters with an ugly brown/black. You might search Friends of the Creek for a member to help you, rather than try an unknown we store that may be using inferior products. Trailers are often fiberglass or aluminum sided so magnetics will not work, and lettering directly on the vehicle looks more professional. Generally the cost of the magnetic material is less than the installation cost at sign shops, but if you are installing ordering just the lettering should cost less.

Steve Griffin
11-06-2011, 2:43 PM
Thanks guys--this is helpful!

-Steve