PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saws

John A. Scott
11-05-2011, 6:28 AM
Is there any difference (other than $90) between the Dewalt DW788 and Delta 40-690?

Mike Henderson
11-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Before you buy a new scroll saw, check Craigslist. If you're willing to wait a little while, maybe a month, you'll likely find a very good scroll saw for sale used. Scroll saws are not in high demand so they sell for a significant discount to new. I bought an almost new Hawk 226, which sells for about $1,200 to $1,400, plus some accessories, for $450. People seem to buy a scroll saw with the intention of doing scroll work and then find they don't like it, so you can find saws with very little use on them.

Around here, if you can use a saw with a 20" throat or less, you can can find lots of saws offered. For example, there's a Hawk 220 advertised here for $250. Where are you located?

Mike

Stephen Cherry
11-05-2011, 2:51 PM
I vote for a used Canadian Dewalt. A fine saw for the dinero, plus you will probably get some doo dads thrown in. The new ones are made somewhere else, so this is a craigslist item. Target price?, 200-300 I think, plus you want one that looks like it was used just a few times.

John A. Scott
11-05-2011, 5:01 PM
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist. Looked at an old Delta, but it was pretty rough. I'm not in a hurry, but saw that the Delta and Dewalt were on sale online.