PDA

View Full Version : My first homemade inlay bowl is finished!!

Michelle Rich
11-05-2011, 4:24 AM
Cottonwood burl with homemade inlay, made with walnut, holly & turquoise. 12 inches in diameter. The finished piece on the lathe & i included an in-process picture for those of you who like such things. This was time consuming, picky and annoying work, but I am totally pleased with my process and getting the pretty cottonwood burl snazzed up & completed. hope you enjoy.

Roger Chandler
11-05-2011, 5:36 AM
Lookin' good there! I like your combo of materials, and the bowl is really nice. Does cotton wood grow in your neck of the woods [wherever that is] ........I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking that cottonwood was mostly a western wood [think west of the Mississippi] not that what I thought was accurate! :confused:

Michelle Rich
11-05-2011, 5:54 AM
Good morning Roger..I do believe cottonwood grows in the westerly U.S. My memory says, along streams and wettish areas.

Eugene Malone
11-05-2011, 6:52 AM
Wherever it grows you are putting it to good use, what a lovely piece and lots of hard work by the looks of it . Thank you.
Eugene.

Hayes Rutherford
11-05-2011, 7:24 AM
Your bowl sure caught my attention, I had to view it a number of times. Cottonwood is very prolific in my area and doesn't normally get any respect. I was wondering if you turned rings of inlay material and then cut them up? Very nice effect.

John Keeton
11-05-2011, 8:16 AM
Very nice, Michelle, and you have the patience of job! Looks like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. The cottonwood makes a nice canvas for it.

Roger, we have cottonwood here in KY, and I know it is in New England, as well. I think it is fairly well distributed with the exception of a few states.

Michelle Rich
11-05-2011, 8:48 AM
Hi Hayes. I posted a few weeks ago, my method to get the material for the curved inlays. I used a router .

Greg Just
11-05-2011, 9:05 AM
Very nice, Michelle. We have a lot of cottonwood here in Minnesota and it grows really big. The wood tends to be very plain, unless you can get a crotch piece or embellish it like you did. Nice job.

Alan Trout
11-05-2011, 9:48 AM
Michelle,

That is an awesome piece.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Beautiful Michelle. Here in Kansas besides Elm the cottonwood is the most abundant tree. Cottonwood makes a great utility items.

David E Keller
11-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I think it's beautiful, Michelle! I love the colors you chose, and that cottonwood is gorgeous!

Hayes Rutherford
11-05-2011, 9:29 PM
Michele, I had my camera out today so I took a picture of some cottonwood I'm saving for you! All kidding aside, I feel like I should have taken more effort to do something with this wood but my previous attempts didn't take. After seeing your inlaid piece I will make another effort.

Scott Hackler
11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice work. A lot of patience right there!

Baxter Smith
11-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Very nice Michele! I doubt I would have the patience!

Joe Watson
11-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Wow...
Not count any jigs you might have made, how long did it take you ?

_

Michelle Rich
11-06-2011, 5:52 AM
Hi Joe: I honestly don't know..I did it around "getting ready for winter chores" It was many , many hours. But it is new to me, so I'm sure, in time I will get faster & better. One would have to make new jigs each time as that was how I made the radius on the outer & inner edges of the pieces of inlay. I would pull the picture of the jig to this post, that I shared about 2 wks ago, but I am a computer idiot and can't seem to figure out how to go get it & put it here.

thanks all for commenting