PDA

View Full Version : I ordered the wrong dado set, should I keep it?

Silas Smith
03-03-2005, 2:27 PM
I ordered the freud dial a width dado set, but I ordered the 6" instead of the 8". At first I was going to send it back, but considering I only have a contractors saw (bridgewood), should I stick with the 6"?

John Miliunas
03-03-2005, 2:34 PM
I ordered the freud dial a width dado set, but I ordered the 6" instead of the 8". At first I was going to send it back, but considering I only have a contractors saw (bridgewood), should I stick with the 6"?
Silas, JMHO but, I ran a Freud 6" stacked on my Delta CS for some time and I was completely happy with it! Unless you intend on hogging out some real, real deep dado's, I would personally forego the hastle, keep it and enjoy it.:) :cool:

Stephen Dixon
03-03-2005, 2:37 PM
You should not be cutting Dados deeper than that 6" Dado can handle. With a contractors saw a 6" Dado is the correct size, the 8" units have too much mass for the smaller motors.

Steve

Maurice Ungaro
03-03-2005, 4:19 PM
What Steve said.

Maurice

Joe Scarfo
03-03-2005, 4:21 PM
I would find it hard not to have the biggest available, even though it's not needed..

But that's just me...

Tks
Joe in Tampa

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2005, 4:22 PM
Silas,

You can do an awful lot with a 6" dado set. You ordered a good one and I would make it a keeper if I were you.

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 5:12 PM
On the flip side to this question, can you run a 6" dado on a 3 hp cabinet saw. I personally don't see why not, and if not, why get an 8"?

BTW to answer your question I think a 6" is perfect on a Contractor style saw.

Silas Smith
03-03-2005, 5:44 PM
I would find it hard not to have the biggest available, even though it's not needed..

But that's just me...

Tks
Joe in Tampa
That is exactly how I feel, but I must curb my desire to have the best and biggest of everything. Gee, if I kept down that road, I don't know where it would lead me. Oh wait, I just read the road sign and that's the road I'm on:o

Steven Wilson
03-03-2005, 6:04 PM
On the flip side to this question, can you run a 6" dado on a 3 hp cabinet saw. I personally don't see why not, and if not, why get an 8"?

Yes you can run a 6" dado on a 3hp 10" cabinet saw. You might not be able to get sufficient depth of cut on a 12" cabinet saw though. As for why get an 8"? More cuts per inch, possiblly smoother cut. But then I've been running an 8" Forrest Dato King on a Jet contractor saw, a PM66, and now a MiniMax CU350 - great dato's every time.

Silias, try out the 6" and if your satisfied with it then it will serve you as well if you upgrade to a 3HP 10" cabinet saw.

Ellen Benkin
03-03-2005, 7:51 PM
Most of the dados I've cut have been less than 1". I'd stick with the 6" set.