PDA

View Full Version : A Little Bit of Euc

Kathy Marshall
11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
The other day I stumbled across a small section of a eucalyptus log that had been laying around outside. The ends didn't look too bad, so I thought I'd cut it in half and see what it looked like inside. One half had a little more cracking than the other, so I took the better half and turned a small bowl. 4 1/2" x 1 1/2" finished with a little BLO and just some sanding sealer so far.

Then last night I took the other half, trimmed it up a bit and turned this little endgrain box. 2 1/4" x 2 1/2" with BLO and sanding sealer. The cracks were filled with epoxy and some of the dust from the box. The wood was dry and produced more dust and granules than shavings, reminded me why I like turning green wood so much! :eek:

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Marty Eargle
11-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Very good looking stuff there. The cracks give the bowl nice character, but the form of the box is something I especially like...I almost expect you to be able to open it and find another smaller box inside and so on!

Gotta love turning that dry wood...After making some ornaments out of bone dry walnut tonight, I'll spend half of tomorrow vacuuming dust out of my shop.

Doug W Swanson
11-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Pretty looking stuff, Kathy. The wood has some great character....

Kathy Marshall
11-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Very good looking stuff there. The cracks give the bowl nice character, but the form of the box is something I especially like...I almost expect you to be able to open it and find another smaller box inside and so on!

Gotta love turning that dry wood...After making some ornaments out of bone dry walnut tonight, I'll spend half of tomorrow vacuuming dust out of my shop.
Hmmmmm.... I hear the gears turning in my head! I might just have to give that a try. I probably have some more of it laying around, but if not, it might be kinda cool to do each from a different wood.

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Kathy those are nice. Really like the box.

Richard Hutchings
11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
So, when you say you turned an end grain box, does that mean the grain was perpendicular to the spindles? I always get confused when I read this.

David Warkentin
11-05-2011, 1:36 PM
I really shouldn't look at pretty stuff like this. Makes me want to go out and turn something and not sure that I have time for that.

David Warkentin
11-05-2011, 1:37 PM
So, when you say you turned an end grain box, does that mean the grain was perpendicular to the spindles? I always get confused when I read this.

I believe that would be right.

James Combs
11-06-2011, 12:16 AM

I could be wrong but I am thinking "turning end-grain" means the grain is parallel to the spindle axis so when you hollow the item you are cutting "across" the end grain not "peeling" it. I am sure a more experienced creeker will jump in here and give us the proper definition.

Baxter Smith
11-06-2011, 12:18 AM
That is some pretty wood!

Kathy Marshall
11-06-2011, 1:07 AM
Thanks guys!
Richard, James is correct, an endgrain turning has the grain running lengthwise in the spindle.

Richard Hutchings
11-06-2011, 5:57 AM
Wow, 2 different answers. Maybe this should be another thread.:confused:

Marc Himes
11-06-2011, 2:34 PM
Nice box and bowl Kathy. Really pretty wood.
Richard, James is correct. Turning with the grain oriented parallel with the spindle makes it so you are turning the "end of the grain" when you remove wood from the bottom surface on the inside of the piece.

Richard Hutchings
11-06-2011, 4:26 PM
Thanks Marc. That makes sense to me.