PDA

View Full Version : NC woodturners symposium

Thom Sturgill
11-04-2011, 9:44 PM
not many of us here, but lets try to meet up at lunch!!!

Nate Davey
11-05-2011, 8:55 AM
I'll be up today, where are you all planning on eating?

Thom Sturgill
11-05-2011, 9:51 PM
Saw Charlie Knighton, Nate Davey, and others. I brought some (3 pieces) mango up from Florida gave one piece away and am saving one for Nate if he wants it. Have one more for any creeker that comes forward for it tomorrow. I took a bunch of pictures of the gallery that follow, two are mine and the two together are Tim Rinehart's
So far three sessions with Mike Mahoney and two with Richard Raffan on boxes (end and cross grain). Lots of good info. Skipped out on the banquet and auction as I am visiting family in the area.
212102 and here are three of Charlie Knighton's turnings

Thom Sturgill
11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Good time was had, good rotations, met several creekers including Tim just as I was leaving and gifted him with the third piece of mango wood. Mad a nice haul, some Gaboon ebony blanks I will use for goblets and finials, a DT gouge 5/8" bowl gouge and handle, a collet set and some other things. The LOML told me to get one of the bowl coring sets, but they had already sold the standard set, so I'll wait until the Florida Symposium.
I know - no pics - didn't happen so here's the proof. This black beauty will join its siblings when I get it home. That maple will make some bird house ornaments when I get back too. I made 5 before the trip and they are all gone now. Oh yes, that's a small bottle of walnut oil and a robust tool rest there too.

Bob Rotche
11-07-2011, 7:58 AM
I was at the symposium as well and had the opportunity to meet Thom, Tim Rinehart, Charlie Knighton, and Greg Bolton, all really nice guys. Unfortunately, never did run into Nate Davey- maybe next time. I was also one of the lucky recipients of Thom's mango wood, very thoughtful of him to bring it up from Florida for us! Symposium exceeded my expectations. Learned a ton and have loads of new ideas floating around in my head. If only I had more time... Bought a ton of wood. Definitely have an addiction! Once I started buying, they began offering me 2 for 1 so how could I refuse??? Lot of stuff I can't get around here- big leaf maple, claro walnut and myrtle plus some really choice ambrosia maple. Even bought my first piece of Aussie burl (red mallee) to try a small shallow bowl with natural edge. Best was seeing the skill and creativity of professionals in action. Something to strive for.

Tim Rinehart
11-07-2011, 9:08 AM
Ok...I have no proof of pics...but yes, I did get a chance to meet up with Thom (thanks for the mango....hope to see a goblet or two come from it perhaps), Nate, and Bob. Bob was first one I saw, and we both attended several of the same demos and got talking about 'stuff' we'd like to try next. Interestingly, we have nearly the same track of skills we'd like to explore next and may cross paths again at JC Campbell in the spring if things work out.
Charilie...I never did get a chance to meet up with you, but saw your work first hand and I like it. Reminds me of petroglyphs I've seen out west.
I was very impressed with all the demonstrators, and got to have a cameraman's angle of view (I was cameraman) for a couple demos by Mark St Leger and Warren Carpenter. Fantastic guys and great stuff they presented that anyone with even a mini-lathe can do.
Saw Pascal Oudet do a demo on his 'dentelles' which is French for lace. He takes a specific type of oak to an incredibly thin end grain disk about 2mm thin...allows it to dry and then sandblasts it to open up the areas of springwood. Wow. I may not do that one right away.
I attended three of Marilyn Campbell's demos. She is a very talented artist and does some very cool things with epoxy and split vessels. She did a demo on presenting work on stands and such that was very educational and make one think.
Last demo I attended was by Mike Mahoney...what a character. He did a demo on making heirloom objects, focusing on use of woods that hold up to daily use and not get relegated to a closet or shelf. Pros/cons of finishes was discussed, and how he came about with his walnut oil.
Overall...fantastic symposium, and got to meet some great creekers. Hope to you see you guys again soon and others as well.
Oh...right...I did get a few pieces of red mallee, yellowbox and gimble after visiting with Jim Syvertsen of Austrailian burls. I was AMAZED at the delicate (talking hair width thin) sections of some of his miniatures. Very talented guy and he sure stocks some amazing aussie burls.