PDA

View Full Version : Canary

David DeCristoforo
11-04-2011, 7:49 PM
I got this out of the remaining pieces of John Keeton's box elder burl. The "bell" is a survivor from the first attempt. It got quite a bit shorter after I took off the splutzy bit at the bottom after which, it was grafted to the "bulb". There was also quite a bit of splutz in the "bulb" portion which I dug out leaving some voids that were filled (look away Dr. Keller!). I did not really like how the filled areas looked with a natural finish so out came the dyes. Got a bit carried away but it was "just for fun" so I figured what the heck. Feel free to have at it!

Wally Wenzel
11-04-2011, 7:56 PM
Wow that is great the best yet
Wally

Dan Hintz
11-04-2011, 7:57 PM
Wow, what gorgeous color (or maybe I think that because it's so bright)... curious to see what it would look like against a really dark background, maybe it would mute the brightness a tad. I really like the little splotch of color in the stem sandwiched between two dark portions, something I wouldn't likely think to add.

Roger Chandler
11-04-2011, 8:02 PM
I see the base is a bit different on this one.......good to mix up things from time to time..............btw, any word yet on how the SOFA event is going?

I still would love to see all your amphora pieces in a collection together...........it would show the nuances and the progression of your work, which is truly nice............David, you own this form! Not because someone else could not do it, but because you have worked it to a point that it is easily recognizable as your work............signature stuff!

I like the coloring..............not sure about all that "splutzy" stuff, but I will take your word on it! ;)

Josh Bowman
11-04-2011, 8:39 PM
David, you just keep topping you last. I really like the colors.

Jeff Fagen
11-04-2011, 8:50 PM
Seriously,Are these piling up around the house now or do you have standing orders?

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 8:54 PM
:eek: Wow!!! Holy Kodachrome Color Batman!!! It would appear that you have mastered the sunburst! It's truly amazing David, super spectacular!!! I must stop now I'm going to exceed my allotment of exclamation points!!!!

I forgot STUNNING as well :D

David E Keller
11-04-2011, 9:10 PM
You warned me, but I looked anyway... Nicely done, sir! You know, if you ever let the voids live, you'd have an opportunity to use a contrasting color or metal leaf on the interior.

Kathy Marshall
11-04-2011, 9:14 PM
Wow! Very cool! It looks likes it's glowing! Great job on the dye and the form (just like all of your others) looks wonderful!

Roland Martin
11-04-2011, 9:20 PM
Definitely a "signature" piece, David. What's the dimensions? A truly well done piece of art, WOW!!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2011, 9:32 PM
David no doubt about the signature of your pieces. Beautiful piece. They just keep getting better.

Walter Mooney
11-04-2011, 9:37 PM
I have to say ditto to Rick M's comments...............Holy Kodachrome, Batman............this is INCREDIBLE..............what color and luminescence

Baxter Smith
11-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Unreal! Colors and turning! Great work as usual David!

David DeCristoforo
11-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanx fer the comments.

"...the base is a bit different..."

The base was made from the last useable bit of the burl and it was not thick enough to make a sweet ogee shape. I thought about making the base with a smooth sweep from the stem onto a large cove like I've done on some of them but I wanted to color the base to match the form and I did not have anything even remotely similar to make the stem from.

"...any word yet on how the SOFA event is going..."

Only that my stuff got there intact and is on display. One of the guys from the gallery got a pic and sent it home but i have not seen it yet.

"...are these piling up around the house..."

Sort of. Five of them are at del Mano but they will probably not "do anything with them" until they get back from Chicago. Several are at SOFA and with any luck I will never see them again!

"...What's the dimensions? ..."

16" Tall 3" at the rim

"...use a contrasting color or metal leaf on the interior..."

Don't tempt me... Can't imagine (yet) how I would get in there...

Michelle Rich
11-05-2011, 4:06 AM
my eyes..get me sunglasses, quick! the sun is exploding! :-) WOW this is terrific. i adore color so this is right up my alley!

John Keeton
11-05-2011, 8:10 AM
David, I was out for the evening and missed this one!!! I am comforted to know that the box elder burl was placed in your hands - you sure have done it proud! This is a wonderful piece - vibrant, well conceived and I like the base on this one. A refreshing change, even if it was of necessity. And, I like the shorter bell flare on this one. Very well done!!

Larry Pickering
11-05-2011, 9:05 AM
Beautiful woman use make-up to enhance their beauty, you have managed to do the same with wood.

David DeCristoforo
11-05-2011, 3:12 PM
Beautiful woman use make-up to enhance their beauty, you have managed to do the same with wood.

The subconscious at work?

Jim Underwood
11-05-2011, 5:30 PM
That's a happy "survivor" right there. If you don't like it, feel free to send it to me, where I'll proudly display it on the mantle....

Noah Barfield
11-05-2011, 6:49 PM
If someone had shown me this photo outside the context of this thread, I would have assumed that this was made from blown glass! How beautiful!!!

Ed Morgano
11-05-2011, 7:47 PM
David,
What I want to know is how you got a 2000 watt light bulb inside of that thing ?:confused::eek::rolleyes::D. Beautiful as usual.

Scott Hackler
11-05-2011, 9:04 PM
I like the bold colors on this David. Really stands out and says "look over here"!

James Combs
11-05-2011, 11:42 PM
I like the bold colors on this David. Really stands out and says "look over here"!

What Scott said, only before it says "look over here", it slaps you across the eyes a couple times to get your attention. Outstanding David D.

David DeCristoforo
11-06-2011, 1:14 AM
Thanx again for all the kind remarks. Kinda surprising buy much appreciated. Actually my wife really likes this one too. She says it makes her think of food!

Marc Himes
11-06-2011, 2:50 PM
When you're hot, you're hot! What a great piece! I love the colors.

Russell Eaton
11-06-2011, 4:27 PM
I took a couple days off and saw this for the first time today. I looked real hard and think you did a superb job of hiding the cord. It truly look electric! I normally am not a great fan of the bold colors but that thing rocks. That is what we are used to from the master.