PDA

View Full Version : Table Finished

Byron Trantham
03-03-2005, 2:15 PM
I just finished a lamp table that I have been working on. Jim Becker did the spindle for me. I think the customer will be happy. :rolleyes:

Bill Arnold
03-03-2005, 2:49 PM
Byron,

Great work! Congrats to you and Jim. I really like the grain in the top.

Regards,

Bryan Nuss
03-03-2005, 2:59 PM
Beautiful table, Byron! I really like the finish. There has been a lot of fine work gone into that table!

Michael Ballent
03-03-2005, 3:06 PM
That looks great and the top is gorgeous. Just one question, is there a reason that you left the top of the spindle square instead of making it round all the way to the top of the spindle?

Jim W. White
03-03-2005, 3:13 PM
Can't let my wife see that!! I've got too many projects backed up already:p

Could you give us more details? What kind of wood nd how did you finish it. I, too, realy like the coloration. Very rich!

...Jim in Idaho

Byron Trantham
03-03-2005, 3:32 PM
Michael - no special reason. Design? maybe. Truth be known, I used a couple of examples as a guide. One of was an episode with David Marks.

Jim - The table was made with Birch. I used WB aniline dye (American Cherry), and WB lacquer - 4 coats, sanded between each coat with 320 and green "scrubbies" for the radiused areas.

The top was cut using a "circle" jig on a band saw. The very top edge of the table was created using a beading bit. The lower profile was a "thumb nail" bit used for table edges. I removed the ball bearing and made a zero clearance fence for my router table and fed it through the bit by hand - slowly. I made four changes in the height to make sure I wouldn't grab the wood and tear it out. You will have to ask Jim about the spindle. The legs are attached via sliding dove-tails; my first. Top is attached using a mortise and tenon joint. Gee, now I write all this out, I should have charged more! :D

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2005, 3:59 PM
Beautiful job Byron. :) I'm sure the new owner will like it.

You did inscribe your name or initials or a makers mark and the date somewhere hidden, didn't you? I hope so, so that in the future people will know who the craftsman was that made that beautiful table. ;) :)

Not to be overlooked, nice job on the spindle Jim. :)

Alan Tolchinsky
03-03-2005, 4:11 PM
That's a great looking table. I like the whole thing but especially the finish. That is one lucky customer. Alan in Md.

Jim Becker
03-03-2005, 6:03 PM
Beautiful, Byron. That's really outstanding with the finish on, etc. Your customer should really be pleased with it.

For those interested, the spindle was a challenge for me...I don't do much of this kind of turning, am scared of the skew (and have a crappy one in my rack...that's a technical term, by the way) and the square to round transitions were really, really difficult. But things worked out fine. Byron was also wize and sent two blanks...needless to say the second one was better than the first, although both are quite usable.

Lou Morrissette
03-03-2005, 6:09 PM
Byron,

Great looking table. The finish is beautiful. Lots of fine detail in that piece.

Jim,
If that was a challenge, you were up to it. Great job.

Lou

Corey Hallagan
03-03-2005, 7:09 PM
Very Nice Bryon. Great looking piece. Some fine turning as well Jim!

Corey

Keel McDonald
03-04-2005, 7:33 AM
Byron

Very nice, Byron and Jim. The slim line of the pedistal makes it look very elegant. I especially like the color and finish. That's always the part I like the least. Probably because I'm not very good at it. Practice, practice, practice!!! Nice job.

Alan Turner
03-04-2005, 7:46 AM
Nice work, guys. How many hours do each of you have in this piece?
Alan

Jim Becker
03-04-2005, 8:52 AM
How many hours do each of you have in this piece?

Due to my spindle-turning ineptitude, each spindle took about an hour and a half, including some hand sanding and "hand tool" work to clean up the mistakes.

Mark Singer
03-04-2005, 9:30 AM
Very skillful execution!

lou sansone
03-04-2005, 9:59 AM
Beautiful, Byron. That's really outstanding with the finish on, etc. Your customer should really be pleased with it.

For those interested, the spindle was a challenge for me...I don't do much of this kind of turning, am scared of the skew (and have a crappy one in my rack...that's a technical term, by the way) and the square to round transitions were really, really difficult. But things worked out fine. Byron was also wize and sent two blanks...needless to say the second one was better than the first, although both are quite usable.
hi jim

I found that once I went to the sorby skew that everything changed for me when turning sq to round sections (pommels ). They are deadly sharp and have a very thin section. As some one posted before, they do require carefull sharpening and honing to make them work as they are supposed to. I also have other english skews, but the sorby has been the best for me.
lou

Dan Mages
03-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Very well done! Do you have a picture of the top?

John Renzetti
03-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Byron, Very nice job, very pleasing to the eye. I had to take off some points since that Becker guy did the spindle. I magnified the picture about 10000x and did find some flaws in the turning. :)
take care,
John