PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2005, 1:31 PM
I have a chance to get a Grizzly Planer. It is model #G0505. It is 12 1/2 " and has a 2 hp motor. It is brand new and they said I could have it for $190. Most of what I would use is for would be pine and hardwoods. Probably will not be used for anything much over 2" thick most times will be 1". My shop is fairly small so can't have anything gigantic. Most of my power tools are bench top and do just fine for what I need. My lovely wife of 38 yrs. has been kinda fighting this one until yesterday. She is building some shelves out of soft maple. They had a slight curve edge to edge. She wanted to know how to get it flat, so I handed here a #5 & #7 plane and told her to get after it. I told her she may have to pieces done by the end of the weekend. She wanted to know if there was anyway faster. (Can you see it comin!) I told her yes if we had a planer it would make it so much easier and faster. So she said if I could find one $225 or less she could handle it in the budget. Now to the question. Does anyone know about this unit? Are they ok, etc. etc. It looks like a fairly decent unit from the pictures I have seen. I have also heard some good things about Grizzly on this forum. Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie

Ray Dockrey
03-03-2005, 1:55 PM
Grizz still sells that planer for $219.00 plus shipping so I don't know if that is all that great of a deal. It also does not have a cutterhead lock which typically will result in snipe on the ends of the boards. I don't have an alternative for you at your price range, but I think it would benefit you to continue to look. You might try to find a Lowes that has a 22-580 laying around for $225.00. It has been a while since they clearenced them at that price but it might pay off. Good luck.

Jim W. White
03-03-2005, 3:37 PM
The entry level Delta has a cutterhead lock which the Grizzly (at this pricepoint) does not. This is critical for snipe control.

Woodworkers Supply still carries the 12" model for $199 with free shipping if you go to the sight through "ToolSeeker"

...Jim in Idaho

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/fullpres.exe?PARTNUM=TP-300

www.toolseeker.com (http://www.toolseeker.com/)

Ray Dockrey
03-03-2005, 4:24 PM
If I looked at that right, the TP300 does not have the cutterhead lock. The TP400 does.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-03-2005, 6:18 PM
The cutterhead lock is nice, but my planner does not have it. If I am not paying attention, I will get some snipe. However if I am paying attention and lift up on the end of the board at the start and end of the cut, I get no snipe at all.

If you can talk the wife into the cutterhead lock, it would be a very nice feature to have. If you can't, you will probably be happy without for now.

Tim Marks
03-03-2005, 6:42 PM
next you should go out and buy some boards that are bent end for end... you could end up with a jointer for the price of a heap of scrap lumber...

Dennis McDonaugh
03-03-2005, 7:02 PM
next you should go out and buy some boards that are bent end for end... you could end up with a jointer for the price of a heap of scrap lumber.........What???

Jack Lindsey
03-05-2005, 4:05 AM
If you want to straighten an edge or flatten a board you need a jointer, not a planer. A planer is used to reduce the thickness of a board, or to make it a uniform thickness AFTER you have created a flat surface on one side with a jointer.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2005, 4:17 PM
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it all especially being a rank amatuer in woodworking.

Bernie