PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' ready for winter!

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 10:02 AM
My shop is insulated and heated with baseboard heaters (220V) - you can see one of them below the window. I keep it about 50-55* all through winter, unless I am not going to be in the shop for several days. It costs me about $250 to do that, and I consider it worth it. However, in an effort to reduce that somewhat and perhaps get a little better comfort level with less layers of clothing while turning, I had given thought to a radiant heater. Coincidentally, one came up for sale on SMC this past summer and I bought it for $25, plus shipping. They run around $40 - 50, I think.

This morning, while taking a break from a work in progress (thus, the horrible mess around the lathe:D), I finally took a few minutes and installed it. It has two elements and one can switch between one or both for heat. Presently, it is nice out - high 50s today. One element is pretty warm at the height I have it!!! But, I will wait until January before deciding whether to move it up.

Some of you may have one of these, but if not, it certainly is a consideration. Roger Chandler - this may be a real option for you in your "studio"!!

No noise at all, and that heat on your back and neck might feel pretty good when it is 5* outside!! The base is adjustable for angle, and it weighs next to nothing.

Just thought I would share!

Roger Chandler
11-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for posting this John.................I could see how one of these might help the situation. Do they run on 110v or 220V?

I have also thought about an infared heater..........seems they heat up surfaces and not the air............might not be good when the temps are down at 20 degrees and below.

I like the simple mount you have...........my feet are the things that get me the most in cold...........but having a heater near the lathe will mean a problem with dust and possible fire, so I might have to go with an overhead mount like you did.......of course, I don't have the headroom you have.

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Looks like you are ready to go John. That shop does look familiar.:D

Tony De Masi
11-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Goodness John. I would have thought you would clean up before you took those pics......

Hayes Rutherford
11-04-2011, 10:38 AM
John, that looks like a sensible way to go, by concentrating some heat where you need the most. I pull out a couple of costco radiant heaters that are problematic in that they are meant to sit on the floor and have tip over safety switches. Maybe I can get creative and hang one up side down.

Steve Busey
11-04-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm looking for a heater for my unfinished basement shop too - my little space heater from the past couple of years died on me, and was really not very effective - just kept my fingers defrosted while turning. I need to go talk to a friend at church whose company investigates industrial explosions - many of which are dust related. I think the radiant heaters are safer than some other options. Time to get cracking on that project, though - it's starting to get chilly in Georgia! thanks for the nudge, John!

gary Zimmel
11-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Nice little upgrade john.
And only $250.00 for the winter to heat the shop...
Mine will cost me that a month when it gets real cold up here.:cool:

Scott Hackler
11-04-2011, 10:47 AM
When I insullated my shop and setup heat, I installed an electric, hang on the wall, furnace. I leave mine at 55 when I am not in there and turn it up to 65-70 when I walk in. It gets warm pretty fast with 4 registers cut into the ceiling, but I found that last winter I found that a small "milk house" heater sitting on the bench behind me, really helped take the edge off from the bitter cold. At least until the furnace got the room up to temp!.

Michelle Rich
11-04-2011, 11:39 AM
where's your real shop? this is a decoy, it must be..you don'ty want anybody to know where you make those wonders of burl..

Marty Eargle
11-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, yeah...it's nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to my 12" electric floor heater. ;)

steven carter
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Shucks, I just turn on C-Span and let the hot air do the rest :)

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
I should have mentioned that I will be routing some power to the truss mount - can't handle the cord strung over my bench!!

Steve, I don't think there is much danger of a dust explosion in a woodworking shop - that has been kind of a urban myth. In any event, with this heater, there is no flame, though I am sure the ceramic rod (or whatever it is??) gets hot enough to ignite substances that might touch it.

Obviously, vapors are a different issue.

Thanks for posting this John.................I could see how one of these might help the situation. Do they run on 110v or 220V?

I have also thought about an infared heater..........seems they heat up surfaces and not the air............might not be good when the temps are down at 20 degrees and below.

I like the simple mount you have...........my feet are the things that get me the most in cold...........but having a heater near the lathe will mean a problem with dust and possible fire, so I might have to go with an overhead mount like you did.......of course, I don't have the headroom you have.Roger, it is 110V, and as I understand, they don't pull a lot of KWs. They do heat surfaces, but that would include the cast iron lathe. My thought is keeping the shop in the 50* range, and using this for more comfort. Also, keep in mind that you lose most of your body heat through your head. If this thing will keep my upper body warm, I suspect that will help with the feet.

Goodness John. I would have thought you would clean up before you took those pics......Tony, I really should have - and, I realize this sets a bad example!:o;):rolleyes:

Nice little upgrade john.
And only $250.00 for the winter to heat the shop...
Mine will cost me that a month when it gets real cold up here.:cool:Gary, you and I have talked about your Canadian winters!!! Beautiful country up there, but when winter comes, I am pretty happy right here!!!

where's your real shop? this is a decoy, it must be..you don'ty want anybody to know where you make those wonders of burl..Shhhhhhh.........!!!! (Thanks for the stealth compliment, Michelle!)

Rob Cunningham
11-04-2011, 12:32 PM
John, it looks like you have enough ceiling height, you may want to consider a ceiling fan too. I run mine on low in the winter and they help push the heat down from up high.

Tom Hartranft
11-04-2011, 1:18 PM
Looks good John.

One of the reply posts commented about cold feet on concrete floor. My shop is in my basement which runs about 60-63 in Jan/Feb ... with chilly concrete floor. Like the post writer, I find that if my feet are cold, I'm cold no matter how much heat I throw at my body, and if my feet are warm, then I'm much more comfortable. I stand at my workbench a lot doing carvings and other handwork and found a good sized electric rubber floor mat online six years ago and it does a nice job of keeping my tootsies warm as I stand at the bench. I wondered if it would hold up in my shop ... but it's been six years now and I'm quite pleased with its durability and comfortable floor heat. My mat is 110 v, 16" x 36" and about 1/4" thick with a 5-1/2 ft electric cord. There is no adjustment, just plug it in the 110v wall outlet and it's comfortably warm in about 10 minutes and stays so until I unplug it when finished working at the bench.

Here is one link to purchasing one ... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013V1PYA/ref=ox_ya_os_product I see that this price + shipping ($62 total) is less than what I paid for mine six years ago. So, I just ordered another heated mat to place in front of my midi-lathe for warm feet for my winter turning.

One can do a Google search of the nomenclature ... "Indus-Tool FWB 16-by-36 Inch Foot-Warmer Mat" and find other sellers and prices. I also found a newer, more costly model that has an on/off switch with two heat settings if one desires those features.

Edit: Just looked again at the Amazon link ~5 hrs after original posting and discovered that the selling 3rd party vendor had changed and the price + shipping had increased by ~$10. So ... shop around ... or wait until Amazon lowers the price again.

Tom

Baxter Smith
11-04-2011, 1:28 PM
Looks good John. Cold hands definitely takes a lot of the fun out of standing at the lathe. I have to admit though that I like it about 10 degrees warmer than 50-55. Getting old and soft!

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 2:03 PM
Tom, that mat is a neat idea!! Thanks for posting that.

Baxter, I figured you would be accustomed to cold winters! I usually dress in a couple of shirts and an unbuttoned down vest in my winter shop. I am hoping this heater will mean I don't need the vest.

Steve Busey
11-04-2011, 2:27 PM
Steve, I don't think there is much danger of a dust explosion in a woodworking shop - that has been kind of a urban myth. You can say that because you don't HAVE any dust in YOUR shop! ;^} Not the case in mine, I'm afraid... But you're right, the ceramic rod is less of a danger than the gas furnace on the other side of the wall from my shop area. =8^O

Greg Just
11-04-2011, 2:31 PM
Tom:

The floor mat is a great idea. I agree with you that if my feet get cold, I'm cold all over. I did come research and there is someone on the "Big-Bay" selling that mat for under $60 with free shipping. I just might have to get one.

Lee Koepke
11-04-2011, 6:41 PM
I have the very same heater, but havent mounted it on my ceiling joists ---- excellent idea, I reckon I will be fastening mine to a more suitable location.

Thanks John!

Alan Trout
11-04-2011, 7:57 PM
It sure is wonderful to live in South Texas. I just have to worry about the AC in the summer. Looks great John.

Alan

Roger Chandler
11-04-2011, 8:06 PM
I found the model you posted about John...........nearly $400...........you really got a great deal. I am considering one of these units. The replacement element sells for about $170, if you include shipping.

http://www.backyardcity.com/Heaters/SRA-SALPHA15120S-Infrared-Heater.htm

I would like to find something that is effective and yet less expensive.

David DeCristoforo
11-04-2011, 8:12 PM
Geez... insulation... hearers, air conditioners... heated mats... you guys probably even have weatherstripping! Around here "winterizing" means getting out the sweaters and wool socks! I don't see how you guys can work surrounded by all that luxury! Of course, here in California we don't have "real" winters so I guess we can get off easy!

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 9:03 PM
I'm just happy to see some shavings in there... The Keeton broom must not be a stick with a black hole on the end... somethings escape it's grasp... even if it is only temporaryily. :D Going to clean up my dump now... errr shop.

Donny Lawson
11-04-2011, 9:29 PM
I will stick with my wood heater. All the wood I burn is "FREE". I can keep my shop at 80 degrees all the time and the cost is $$0.00. I put a nice big chunk of wood in there before i go in at night and close the damper and it will still have nice pieces in there in the mornings. Since the new shop is very nicely insulated it is still in the upper 60's after a cold night and the fire is about gone out. I have a therometer from an old gas grill on the top of the heater and it keeps me informed of the temp. my heater is putting out. It will crank out #'s of 350-500 degrees when it gets cranked up in the mornings. Plus I can use most of my scraps for kindling. The shavings from the lathe make a great fire starter.

Roger Chandler
11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I will stick with my wood heater. All the wood I burn is "FREE". I can keep my shop at 80 degrees all the time and the cost is $$0.00. I put a nice big chunk of wood in there before i go in at night and close the damper and it will still have nice pieces in there in the mornings. Since the new shop is very nicely insulated it is still in the upper 60's after a cold night and the fire is about gone out. I have a therometer from an old gas grill on the top of the heater and it keeps me informed of the temp. my heater is putting out. It will crank out #'s of 350-500 degrees when it gets cranked up in the mornings. Plus I can use most of my scraps for kindling. The shavings from the lathe make a great fire starter.

Donny,

You have a great solution for heating.........I have a wood stove in the house, but I don't have room for one in the shop, unfortunately!

Harry Robinette
11-04-2011, 11:36 PM
John
It looks like the ceiling could use a little insulation. Remember you loose more heat through top of what ever it is, so put a cap on the shops head.

John Keeton
11-05-2011, 8:07 AM
John
It looks like the ceiling could use a little insulation. Remember you loose more heat through top of what ever it is, so put a cap on the shops head.Harry, there is about 2" of closed cell foam insulation on all surfaces of my shop - it is tighter than a drum! It will hold heat very well, and I have virtually no air infiltration. The biggest obstacle to heating/cooling a shop is the thermal mass of the concrete and cast iron. It is usually cheaper for me to KEEP it heated, rather than kicking on the heat sporadically. If I can keep all the machines and floor at 50-55*, then it is pretty comfortable with some layered clothing. This little heater is just a way to perhaps drop the overall temp a little and be able to shed one layer of clothing while turning. With flat work, there is more movement about the shop and one seems to produce more body heat. Turning is more stationary, and the extra heat will be nice, I think.

I found the model you posted about John...........nearly $400...........you really got a great deal. I am considering one of these units. The replacement element sells for about $170, if you include shipping.

http://www.backyardcity.com/Heaters/SRA-SALPHA15120S-Infrared-Heater.htm

I would like to find something that is effective and yet less expensive.Roger, the heater below is more like what I have - minus the little light, and it is $52. http://www.remodelr.com/Prod/Howard-Berger-CZQTV5M-Ceiling-Mounted-Quartz-Heater-With-Light/RM208027/Cat/1533?gclid=COPrxOK4n6wCFcqa7QodOVsqCQ

Rex Guinn
11-05-2011, 9:20 AM
Now you will be out in the shop a lot more. Have a great weekend!

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2011, 10:40 AM
John that looks like the one Wally World has for $49. I had been thinking about it for a while now to get rid of the heater on the floor. I think that should serve you well.

Roger Chandler
11-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks JK! I just ordered one! Hopefully it will warm things up a bit! ;)