PDA

View Full Version : Small Grain Matched Lidded Box Prototype...

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 2:52 AM
So I've always had a fascination for small boxes. Even as a small child I remember being fascinated by the little boxes family members had. I guess part of the fascination for me is in the box itself, but also what people tend to keep in them, it's always something that has sentimental value. Awhile ago, I figured out how to make small boxes where the grain matches all the way around, with a hidden hinge. The idea forced itself (for lack of a better word) on me until I figured out how to do it. Well anywho... long story short, this is a natural progression of that idea. A small lidded form (turned box) that the lid flows with the form (grain and all.) So this is my prototype, and it works :D. I plan on making an ongoing series of these... As always C&C is welcomed and appreciated! Thanks for looking :) 2 1/8" diameter, 4 7/8" tall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0342.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0343.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0344.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0346.jpg

Marty Eargle
11-04-2011, 3:04 AM
I think you've got a good thing going, Rick! I've been making a lot of similar boxes to this lately to give out for Christmas, but this one puts them to shame. The form is not really a usual form for boxes, but this works great...especially with the matching grain.

Can't wait to see more of these.

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 5:52 AM
Well, it would help if you used prettier wood!:rolleyes::D Rick, that is a really neat idea! I love the look and the bark inclusion in the side, too. Rather a petite piece and well done. I look forward to seeing the variations you are bound to come up with.

Michelle Rich
11-04-2011, 7:34 AM
a series,?? goodie..I look forward to seeing them.

Russell Eaton
11-04-2011, 7:38 AM
Very nice Rick. +1 for what John said about a better wood... that is a great looking prototype. Just keep em coming.

Jon Nuckles
11-04-2011, 8:22 AM
Looks good, Rick. I assume you are saving the poplar blanks until you have the form and techniques perfected?

Baxter Smith
11-04-2011, 8:34 AM
Great wood Rick and I especially like the design of your lid. Looking forward to the next one!

Robert McGowen
11-04-2011, 9:15 AM
I would never have guessed it was a box until you had the top off. Great job!

Jim Burr
11-04-2011, 9:29 AM
Nicely done Rick!

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Really well done Rick. Love the wood.

Scott Hackler
11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice work Rick. That wood is great too!

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 3:18 PM
Thanks everyone! :) I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. I wasn't exactly sure what shape I was going to make the lid, then it just kind of hit me a "Faux" amphora, the neck makes a perfect knob shape. I'm excited to see where these go, this was a fun project, and has turned into one of my favorite pieces so far.

John, I know... not the best choice of wood! I decided to try it in Maple burl since I have a couple of boxes of small pieces just kicking around. Next time I will use something with a little more character.:D You know I love the bark inclusions, I had to restrain myself from hollowing this one thin enough that there was a partial void there. Box with a hole in the side, who would do such a thing? hehe

Marty, it's a different shape. Probably not the most utilitarian of designs, with the tiny base. But I couldn't help myself.

Jon, Shhhhh... It's a secret! Everyone is going to buying up all the poplar blanks now :D

thomas prusak
11-04-2011, 4:16 PM
What type of finish did you use? great job

Fred Belknap
11-04-2011, 4:34 PM
Rick nice job, pretty wood. I didn't realize how small it was till read the thread. I call that an earthquake detector.

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 4:50 PM
Fred, That made me laugh, yes I don't think it's a good box for earthquake prone areas, or RV's. The base is 5/8" in diameter lol.

Thomas, sorry I usually include that. It's gloss WOP, buffed and Renwaxed.

Roger Chandler
11-04-2011, 5:27 PM
That is a nice piece of work, Rick...................beautiful wood, and nicely turned........pretty stuff............just not sure how practical it is for a box to use for storing things, but as art is works really well!

David E Keller
11-04-2011, 9:39 PM
Ooooh! Shiny, barky, and burly... What's not to like? Nicely done on the 'illusion' as well.

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks fellas :) I've missed the creek, I've been off doing the school thing, and most of my free time has been spent turning. David the Rubber Chucky has really just opened up my world, What was once a chore to set up (let alone a logistical brain teaser at times) to do bottoms of forms, I actually have found to be a very enjoyable fun experience now that I have a reverse chucky. I'm anxious to see what you've been up to recently.

Bob Bergstrom
11-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Really nice piece. Never guessed the lid came off. Beautiful wood and love the finish.