PDA

View Full Version : Small Claro HF

Scott Hackler
11-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Here is another palm sized form. I just can't get enough of making these! This claro is beautiful in person but the camera just doesn't capture the figure in this walnut.

3 1/4" tall x 3 1/4" wide. Finished with BLO and WOP, beal buffed and Ren Wax by hand. I couldn't quite get a decent picture of this one. Between the dark wood and the gloss finish... well hot spots and little of the figure showing....

Comments always welcome. Thanks

Marty Eargle
11-04-2011, 1:12 AM
Very nice little form. From the few pieces of Claro that I've managed to slip away from Mike Smith, I can attest that it isn't easy to photograph and have justice done...but some of the grains are unbeatable.

I tried to make a few little pieces like this recently with my little homemade allen wrench hollowing set and quickly realized I need to pick up a real set of tools. Thanks for sharing, Scott.

Jim Leslie
11-04-2011, 1:21 AM
Nice piece! I turned my first bit of Claro last week and I'm hooked on it! Just need more now...

Kathy Marshall
11-04-2011, 1:55 AM
Great little form Scott! That claro looks pretty sweet too!

Lupe Duncan
11-04-2011, 2:47 AM
Really nice work Scott.

Great color and a nice balance in form.

Rick Markham
11-04-2011, 3:02 AM
That's a wonderful shape, beautiful claro too! Another great job Scott!

John Keeton
11-04-2011, 5:57 AM
Great form on this one, Scott! Are you going to try a finial on this one?? The different angle coming off the neck/throat might give a different look. Just a thought.

VFrom the few pieces of Claro that I've managed to slip away from Mike Smith, I can attest that it isn't easy to photograph and have justice done...but some of the grains are unbeatable.

Nice piece! I turned my first bit of Claro last week and I'm hooked on it! Just need more now...
I am starting to wish I hadn't revealed Mike Smith as my Claro source!!!! There won't be any Claro walnut to be had!:eek: I may need to order a pallet of this stuff just to hedge the market!:D

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Really a nice piec Scott. Love the form on it. Claro is a great turning wood.

John I got mine so you can have what is left.:D:rolleyes:

Jim Burr
11-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Just put in a call to Mike! Avoiding the Christmas rush. Cool little form Scott!

Scott Hackler
11-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. This Claro was excellent ot turn and I will be getting more, some time down the road. I made a small mistake with this one. Because I turned it green and let it dry, I had the tenon still on the bottom. Well instead of leaving the outside (which was sanded to 400 already and sealed with shellac) I returned it to the lathe and reshaped it. In doing so I lost the tall collar and my 5/8" opening became 3/4" or so. :( I have been trying to keep the opening small enough to keep peoples fingers out of it!

John, this one might get one of my new style finials. I "think" the absence of the tall collar might assist with a better flow into that type of finial, but we will mave to see. I have a nice piece of spalted sliver maple on the lathe now that has little collar action going on and it will definitely be getting a finial. But I started using WOP because the latest rattle can of lacquer I bought has been orange peeling really bad and so the finial finish is taking longer than I am used to.

Baxter Smith
11-04-2011, 1:31 PM
Nice work Scott. A fellow brought a claro bowl to a woodturners meeting Wed night. Beautiful grain but the wood was so dark it was almost hard to see.

David E Keller
11-04-2011, 9:52 PM
Nicely done, Scott! The throat on this one seems to be screaming for the Hackler finial!

Bob Bergstrom
11-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Nice job Scot. You did a good job displaying the best of the wood. Thanks for sharing.